PPA vs. Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2
Aug 24, 2007 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bellbrass

100+ Head-Fier
I am thinking about getting the RSA HR-2 amp. I already have a PPA v2 built by Tangent that sounds very good, but is powered by an Elpac wall wart. Do you think there will be noticable improvement with the HR-2? I have Ultrasone Proline 750 closed-back headphones and listen to rock mostly. Thanks in advance!

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 12
The PPA can have variances depending on the specific configuration. But samples from top builders like Tangent & JMT are terrific values, especially when maxed-out.

I think the HR-2 would be a level of refinement above the PPA though. In addition, I'd suggest you also look at the Rudistor NX-02 around the same price range, as it is tuned specifically for the Ultrasone Prolines.

However, having said all that, I think you should upgrade your source first. I think that will yield a bigger improvement over the differences in these amps.

Then do the amp upgrade later.
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 12
bellbrass,

There are still plentiful of rooms for your PPA to improve.
smily_headphones1.gif
AD744/829 Mod, Dyn-o-Bias II mod etc. Care to tell us the parts used on the PPA?
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Someone please correct me if i'm wrong. The HR-2 uses a conventional push pull output stage isnt it? (Zener diodes for biasing the base of the BJT output transistors and resistors to conduct current). How is it anyway superior than the diamond buffer design used on the PPA v2?

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 12
I partially agree with Jimmy, a new source is in order. But before I bought an HR-2 I'd probably look to upgrade the power supply for your PPA to a STEPS. The PPA (especially the V2) is a very capable amp and will scale very well with a better source.

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Gosh, I forgot the specs on my PPA. I know it was the current version as of 2003. I think it has an OPA opamp, and I'm sure it's biased to Class A - other than that, I'm not sure about the specs. It does not have the Dyn-o-Bias II mod, or any mods other than how Tangent built it in 2003. I am not a builder, so I wouldn't want to open my PPA and do mods myself.

I have the NAD C525BEE CD Player.

What is the STEPS power supply? Can it work with a wall-wart configured PPA?

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 12
I did a search on STEPS vs. Elpac, and I think maybe I should try that before I fork over $875.00 for a Ray Samuels, although I may still want to depending on feedback here. Can I get a pre-built STEPS or other very high-quality power supply that will work with the DC input jack on my PPA?

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellbrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a search on STEPS vs. Elpac, and I think maybe I should try that before I fork over $875.00 for a Ray Samuels, although I may still want to depending on feedback here. Can I get a pre-built STEPS or other very high-quality power supply that will work with the DC input jack on my PPA?

try and contact MisterX for a quote. Im looking for STEPS myself too.

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellbrass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I get a pre-built STEPS or other very high-quality power supply that will work with the DC input jack on my PPA?

Yes, assuming you can find a builder willing to build one for you.

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 12
You also may want to consider the Sigma11 power supply for your PPA. I don't know if anyone has done any STEPS/Sigma11 comparisons yet. I'm going to build a Sigma11 for my M^3 eventually, but that's a ways off.

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #11 of 12
I've heard Purk's maxed out PPA with discrete output, OPA627's, and STEPS. It's just awesome for the money paid; I would take it over most SS amps under $1K. The fully discrete stuff like from Headamp and the Singlepower SquareWave will be a bit smoother and more powerful, but that doesn't change the fact that the maxed PPA is often a damn good value.

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 12
Looking into the sigma11...

http://www.amb.org/audio/sigma11/

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've rolled different OP amps in my PPA, modded the gain to my liking, and I think I'm ready to step up past the 24V elpac wall wart.

FWIW mines a V-01 board with Larocco diamond buffer module and switchable bass boost.

thanks!!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back