Powering SONY MDR V-6 ...Fiio E17 not cutting it!
Jul 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Ken176

New Head-Fier
I originally auditioned the SONY MDR V-6s at Guitar Center plugged into their rack setup.... I was very impressed! The Sony's were flat for the most part, which I liked. What impressed me the most was how powerfull they sounded, along with their controlled bass. I have a newer laptop with a Realtek HD soundcard, Fiio E17 DAC along running my V-6s...but I find myself wanting so much MORE! The E17 is nothing compared to my original listening experience at guitar center. If I'm not mistaken..the E17 is putting out about .25 watts to my 63ohm V6's capable of 1 watt. Any amp suggestions on how I can get the power full, authoritative, controlled sound I am after? Open to ALL suggestion! Thank you in advance.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 19
This all depends on what you are willing to spend. The obvious choice is to get the Fiio E9 but like I said, budget is always the defining factor.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 19
I originally auditioned the SONY MDR V-6s at Guitar Center plugged into their rack setup.... I was very impressed! The Sony's were flat for the most part, which I liked. What impressed me the most was how powerfull they sounded, along with their controlled bass. I have a newer laptop with a Realtek HD soundcard, Fiio E17 DAC along running my V-6s...but I find myself wanting so much MORE! The E17 is nothing compared to my original listening experience at guitar center. If I'm not mistaken..the E17 is putting out about .25 watts to my 63ohm V6's capable of 1 watt. Any amp suggestions on how I can get the power full, authoritative, controlled sound I am after? Open to ALL suggestion! Thank you in advance.

The E17 should have more than enough power. When you auditioned it at guitar center was they noticeably much more bassier?

That could be due to a high impedance source being used at guitar center.

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 19
The Sony MDR-V6 need 0.05mW to hit 90 dBSPL as measured by Tyll at Innerfidelity.  http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRV6.pdf

The E17 claims to output 250 mW into 16Ω and 30mW into 300Ω.

You may not like how your headphones sound with the E17, and the max power capacity of the V6 before the voice coil is in danger of frying is 1W.  This doesn't mean that you need 1W of power for the headphones to sound good. 

Have you tried adjusting the gain on the E17?  The Realtek motherboard soundchips often output a weaker signal than other dedicated DAC's.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 19
Could the Guitar Center have been using higher quality audio files and a high end DAC to demo the MDR-V6s?
Maybe the demo MDR-V6s were well broken in your using the a new MDR-V6.
Try using Foobar to play audio files.
Check all audio setting in your laptop.

I would assume the Fiio E17 would be great for use with the Sony MDR-V6.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 19
Thanks for your input! I have only had about 5 hours total on the FiioE17 and the V-6s.... I bought two pair for the wife and I to enjoy some music when the little one goes to bed. In all honesty..the only source I have used is YOUTUBE. I have read allot of good comments about Foobar and I will give it a try along with an older 20bit cd player I have. After review of Foobars site...it does not appear we could listen to YOUTUBE ( wife enjoys the videos along wit the music :).... any suggestions

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
Thanks for your input! I have only had about 5 hours total on the FiioE17 and the V-6s.... I bought two pair for the wife and I to enjoy some music when the little one goes to bed. In all honesty..the only source I have used is YOUTUBE. I have read allot of good comments about Foobar and I will give it a try along with an older 20bit cd player I have. After review of Foobars site...it does not appear we could listen to YOUTUBE ( wife enjoys the videos along wit the music :).... any suggestions

SACD music disks.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 19
The V6's are very easy to drive, you don't even need a dedicated amp. What would you say is missing?

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 19
The V6 is ultra-easy to drive. 

You probably auditioned the V6 when it was plugged in to an amp with high output impedance.  That would bump the midbass up a touch and give you a bit more oomph.  The V6s are actually one of the loudest (most efficient) headphones I've ever seen. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Most streaming music services like Pandora and Spotify have much better quality audio than Youtube videos. Even podcasts are usually in better quality than most Youtube videos.

Jul 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 19
I think the best term to use to explain what I feel is missing is..."Authority"!! Currently it gets loud, but Im lacking authority on the bass and midrange. For example...when you listened to live music, a great drummer always sticks out...it's that snap, the authority with which they play the instrument. I know the V-6s can deliver, its what sold me at initial audition.

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
I bought two pair for the wife and I to enjoy some music when the little one goes to bed. In all honesty..the only source I have used is YOUTUBE. 

confused_face_2.gif
. There couldn't be a worse source, well yes there could. Lossless files from a good soucre-not sound card on your motherboard should be used for reference.

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
I think the best term to use to explain what I feel is missing is..."Authority"!! Currently it gets loud, but Im lacking authority on the bass and midrange. For example...when you listened to live music, a great drummer always sticks out...it's that snap, the authority with which they play the instrument. I know the V-6s can deliver, its what sold me at initial audition.

One of my favorite parts of this headphone is the drum sound. It reminds me of playing in bands or being in a practice room while a band plays. Especially the way they handle kick drums. 

You should try a different source just to see if that helps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back