Powerbeats Pro (Truly Wireless IEM from Apple/Beats)
May 26, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #31 of 337
Hi guys, has anyone here paired the Powerbeats Pro with an Android device?

I'm thinking about using them with my Huawei smartphone running Android 7, playing FLAC files only. Reading that AAC on an iDevice is recommended / sounds best makes me wonder if I should even think Andriod at all with those headphones.

Thank you for any further impressions and thoughts!

May 26, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #32 of 337
Hi guys, has anyone here paired the Powerbeats Pro with an Android device?

I'm thinking about using them with my Huawei smartphone running Android 7, playing FLAC files only. Reading that AAC on an iDevice is recommended / sounds best makes me wonder if I should even think Andriod at all with those headphones.

Thank you for any further impressions and thoughts!

SoundGuys covered this in their review: the noise floor is higher on Android phones just because they don’t handle AAC as well but it should still be imperceptible. No worse than any other headphones, unless you can find truly wireless headphones that support LDAC which to my knowledge there are none.

May 27, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #34 of 337
Is it just me, or is it really hard to get decent isolation with these headphones? I found myself tip-rolling within the first hour because it was impossible to get a decent seal with the stock tips.

May 27, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #36 of 337
Is it just me, or is it really hard to get decent isolation with these headphones? I found myself tip-rolling within the first hour because it was impossible to get a decent seal with the stock tips.

I have the same problem. I kept trying different tips, but hadn't succeeded. I have now settled on SpinFit tips - which are better for me than the supplied smooth PowerBeats Pro tips. YMMV

One thing that I found really helped was to bend the ear hanger on my right Beats Pro, so that the tip would be under slightly more pressure against my ear canal. Seems to be working so far - much better isolation and bass. Hopefully, this bend will be permanent, otherwise I will have to keep making this correction. Getting enough pressure to make a good seal, but not enough to irritate is key.

It seems to be a combination of the correct tip, along with the correct pressure - generated by bending the ear hanger slightly.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #37 of 337
I have the same problem. I kept trying different tips, but hadn't succeeded. I have now settled on SpinFit tips - which are better for me than the supplied smooth PowerBeats Pro tips. YMMV

One thing that I found really helped was to bend the ear hanger on my right Beats Pro, so that the tip would be under slightly more pressure against my ear canal. Seems to be working so far - much better isolation and bass. Hopefully, this bend will be permanent, otherwise I will have to keep making this correction. Getting enough pressure to make a good seal, but not enough to irritate is key.

It seems to be a combination of the correct tip, along with the correct pressure - generated by bending the ear hanger slightly.

Unfortunately this is an inherited problem existing also on the Powerbeats 3 which I finally threw away after 2 years of use! I think Apple faces some difficulties generally to produce nice fitting tips. When I heard they will make the Powerbeats designed iems wire free, I said what is this? Why not some BeatsX style iems which can get deeply inserted in ear canal?? The design of Powerbeats with this bloody hanger does not allow deep insertion. Also the round “ball” at the back of the tip creates resistance in the entrance of the canal which also does not allow deep insertion. Very bad design, plainly speaking. The over ear hanger touches the back of your ear as well as the side of your head, which on one hand does not allow iem to get completely out of your ear, but on the other hand makes the tip to move uncontrolled in many occasions. With my Powerbeats 3 I could get some fit for some time and after a while mainly my left ear was losing seal altogether, which is awful because you hear bass on right but not left!!! Best fit is the one of BeatsX which enters canal quite deep, but also using the ear fins to stabilize it in the inside of your ear, not outside as on Powerbeats.

Of course generally speaking, these are common problems with many iems. Unfortunately I came to the conclusion that best music listening is done by using over ears full size cans. Iems are just an easy going, light and airy solution but full size cans cannot be beaten for critical listening. I tend to agree here with MichaelSD who also loves full size cans much more!!

It’s a pity really for Powerbeats pro. Weak isolation, no stable fit in some ears, huge huge case! I really cannot understand what Apple is thinking nowadays!

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #38 of 337
I hope this will be comparable to my M and D MW07s because I have been trying to find a neutral sounding Beats like Monty Python trying to find the Holy Grail...

May 28, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #39 of 337
Unfortunately this is an inherited problem existing also on the Powerbeats 3 which I finally threw away after 2 years of use! I think Apple faces some difficulties generally to produce nice fitting tips. When I heard they will make the Powerbeats designed iems wire free, I said what is this? Why not some BeatsX style iems which can get deeply inserted in ear canal?? The design of Powerbeats with this bloody hanger does not allow deep insertion. Also the round “ball” at the back of the tip creates resistance in the entrance of the canal which also does not allow deep insertion. Very bad design, plainly speaking. The over ear hanger touches the back of your ear as well as the side of your head, which on one hand does not allow iem to get completely out of your ear, but on the other hand makes the tip to move uncontrolled in many occasions. With my Powerbeats 3 I could get some fit for some time and after a while mainly my left ear was losing seal altogether, which is awful because you hear bass on right but not left!!! Best fit is the one of BeatsX which enters canal quite deep, but also using the ear fins to stabilize it in the inside of your ear, not outside as on Powerbeats.

Of course generally speaking, these are common problems with many iems. Unfortunately I came to the conclusion that best music listening is done by using over ears full size cans. Iems are just an easy going, light and airy solution but full size cans cannot be beaten for critical listening. I tend to agree here with MichaelSD who also loves full size cans much more!!

It’s a pity really for Powerbeats pro. Weak isolation, no stable fit in some ears, huge huge case! I really cannot understand what Apple is thinking nowadays!

None of the earbud offerings is perfect for every occasion and location. For serious listening, I also keep a pair of Comply Isolation foam tips in my backpack, which I can put on in a few seconds, and which give an excellent seal. I use the SpinFit tips for my “on the go” listening and telephone usage.

The PowerBeat Pros are not perfect, but for me, they are the best solution to date.

May 28, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #40 of 337
My initial thoughts guys after trying them out for one gym session:
Let me first put some context around this, i wanted these mainly for the hooks. I do vigorous workouts and everything else I've tried either falls out my ears, or i have to adjust them every few minutes.
I've also tried using Bluetooth mmcx adapters, but this is still uncomfortable and i still would need to make adjustments. Example if i turn my head the cord that goes over my ears would unhook.
Safe to say these are really snug and once I played with the ear hook piece to the right liking i didn't fiddle with it at all in a 2hr workout session. Ear hook piece is flexible and stays the way you position it.
Sacrificing some sound for comfort is what i was expecting. After i paired my Shanling M0 I paired with the default Bluetooth, I'm normally on APTX codec, but i noticed that the APTX wasn't showing.
I played it like this for about 15-20 min and it sounded really bad. Good news is that i read this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iphone-aac-vs-aptx-and-aptx-hd-real-world.861978/
I then changed the codec to AAC and I'm very pleased to say the sound quality now meets my minimum requirement. Wish the volume was a bit louder, but with the right seal you should be ok. Speaking of seal the isolation with stock tips is decent, but i wasn't going for complete isolation as i like to hear people when i do pause a track without taking out the buds. Button functions are easy to use and pairing is consistent. I'll have to see how using it with an IPhone X sounds, i bet it sounds better since its all Apple.
Hope this was helpful!

May 28, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #41 of 337
I am seriously considering buying the M&D MW07 EarPods. I understand the sound is great. I don’t need them for exercise. I do need them for making phone calls. I understand they are really bad for calling. The supposedly sound terrible on the other end??? Any feedback would be appreciated. Please reply to: bruceh46@gmail.com. THANK YOU!!!! Bruce

May 28, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #42 of 337
None of the earbud offerings is perfect for every occasion and location. For serious listening, I also keep a pair of Comply Isolation foam tips in my backpack, which I can put on in a few seconds, and which give an excellent seal. I use the SpinFit tips for my “on the go” listening and telephone usage.

The PowerBeat Pros are not perfect, but for me, they are the best solution to date.

I'm going to +1 on this comment. I'm not sure what everyone means with a good seal or isolation? I know all ears are different, but these stay put and don't move at all once plugged in. The ear hook is solid and makes it almost impossible to not stay put. Lucky for me i guess? However, i do agree that the stock tips are a no go. You guys should try more tips because if the ear hooks work as they should it could only be the tips that you need to find w/ a better fit.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #43 of 337

+2 on this. Thanks for the perspective.

I've owned several IEMs over the years and have always had a little difficulty getting a proper seal with them. I could probably open a store with all the tips I've bought trying to find the right fit. Some of us are born with ears that are difficult to accommodate universal IEMs but with some trial and error there's usually a set of tips that will do the job. If not the only real way to address it is with customs.

I haven't bought the PBP yet as they are not yet available in Mexico but will be pouncing on them when they are in stock. I'm looking forward to the convenience of them and also being able to just use my Apple Watch for music when out walking/running. I bought my wife some Airpods 2 a couple of weeks ago and she just loves them and the integration with Apple gear is a real positive. However the Airpods just didn't fit me well so I'm hoping the PBP do the job. Comply tips are on order as the ones I use for my other IEMs are the wrong size unfortunately.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #44 of 337
I've been using the Symbios for about a week now. Tight seal and very comfortable. I prefer these over the Starlines. I almost feel like I'm trying to find the right sound as fit isn't an issue. Next up will be the spin fits. I'm wondering what other tips i could look into?

May 29, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #45 of 337
I've been using the Symbios for about a week now. Tight seal and very comfortable. I prefer these over the Starlines. I almost feel like I'm trying to find the right sound as fit isn't an issue. Next up will be the spin fits. I'm wondering what other tips i could look into?

I was using Sony hybrids with Powerbeats 3 and they were for sure better than the stock tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back