Powerbeats Pro (Truly Wireless IEM from Apple/Beats)
Feb 7, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #241 of 337
One of the best features of the PBP is that they can be controlled on the ear piece...both of them...with the APP, you have to dig your phone out of your pocket to simply change the volume! I am continually blown away by the sound quality of the PBPs! I never thought having wireless headphones would be such a big deal...but after many hours on my PBP's I simply love the freedom of no cables. I use Sien's 800S and Dan Clarks' Aeon Closed at home and wish one of them would work on a wireless setup that still has the same FR as the wired ones...I'd buy'em in a heartbeat!

I have no complaints about sound quality. It is a little light on bass but it makes up for that by having a clean, deep, balanced bass and an enjoyable overall sound. I may have overly adjusted the ear hooks, which is affecting the seal a bit. Having controls on the earbuds doesn’t really matter to me since I have an Apple Watch but I chose Powerbeats Pro for its superior sound quality (which may be more subjective since I have heard a lot of people say AirPods Pro sounds similar despite the frequency response being different) and lack of ANC.

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #242 of 337
Hmm, I’m considering switching to AirPods Pro. I’m curious how they would sound with a proper seal that passes the ear tip test. I really like Powerbeats Pro, but I’m not 100% happy with it. I’m pretty sure AirPods Pro would have a more consistent fit that’s just as stable if not more so. I get 60 days to return it with my RedCard surprisingly, but I’ll probably return them sooner if I decide to do so. Hopefully Target refurbishes and re-sells returns, I keep them in mint condition so much so the point they usually assume I haven’t opened products I return. (I even saw them put a product I used back out on the floor as new and had to let them know.) Thankfully I rarely return headphones despite how often I want to impulsively try them.

On a side note, Powerbeats Pro has quality drivers so it responds well to EQ. Treble Reducer or “Small Speakers” both provide a stronger bass response at louder volumes without completely ruining the rest of the frequency range. Oddly I had the volume blasted with the Small Speakers EQ and noticed a staticy pop on the right earbud. It didn’t affect the sound afterwards. I inadvertently went to the gym during peak hours today and had a more difficult time hearing my music, especially the bass, without blasting it.
I've owned both. If the PowerBeats Pro is a 9/10 for sound quality, the AirPods Pro is a 6/10. There is no sub-bass, and the sound is grainy in comparison. The only advantage to the AirPods Pro is increased comfort and noise cancellation.

Feb 17, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #243 of 337
powerbeats-pro-diagram-adjust-fit.jpg

Pretty important to note: the ear hooks are adjustable by putting pressure on the stem. I've found it helps to have a tight seal where the ear hook wraps around the top of the ear. It definitely makes a difference in stability, but I’m still not crazy about the overall fit. I’m going to see if it adjusts itself over time to become more comfortable/stable now that I’ve adjusted it so it fully wraps around my ear.
I do the same thing and it is an improvement for both seal and comfort.

Feb 17, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #244 of 337
I've owned both. If the PowerBeats Pro is a 9/10 for sound quality, the AirPods Pro is a 6/10. There is no sub-bass, and the sound is grainy in comparison. The only advantage to the AirPods Pro is increased comfort and noise cancellation.
I have both as well and found the difference not as great as you have. The pbp are more critical in ear tip fit because of their greater mass.

In terms of comfort and versatility airpods pro are for my needs better and have a second pair to be used alternately for over nine hours of continuous use. I still enjoy the pbp and use them where ambient sound is not distracting. Either of these are superior to my bose qc ll when listening to music.

The wireless use of either of these products for over 90% of my listening is excellent; for the10% where I want a better audio experience I use the same data over a fiio q5 with sony mdr 1am2.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #245 of 337
I have both as well and found the difference not as great as you have. The pbp are more critical in ear tip fit because of their greater mass.

In terms of comfort and versatility airpods pro are for my needs better and have a second pair to be used alternately for over nine hours of continuous use. I still enjoy the pbp and use them where ambient sound is not distracting. Either of these are superior to my bose qc ll when listening to music.

The wireless use of either of these products for over 90% of my listening is excellent; for the10% where I want a better audio experience I use the same data over a fiio q5 with sony mdr 1am2.
I probably place more importance on sub-bass, which the AirPods Pro lack. They are not a replacement for other headphones, whereas the Powerbeats Pro can replace a Hi-Fi headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #246 of 337
I probably place more importance on sub-bass, which the AirPods Pro lack. They are not a replacement for other headphones, whereas the Powerbeats Pro can replace a Hi-Fi headphone.
I would agree that the pbp have a fuller bass but with my ear shape and the pbp greater mass I can not keep the seal needed to to take advantage of this trait. I need to readjust every 15 minutes to keep the advantage.

The airpod pro with its ideal personal fit for me combined with its anc makes any difference less noticeable for my needs.

The greater advantage for me is the pbp grater battery capacity before it is needed to remove them to recharge.

I am glad I have both. :)

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #247 of 337
I owned both and if I would go back it would be to the Powerbeats Peo easily. They have superior sound and sounded much fuller. Like an On-Ear at least. But also had some problems with fit that’s why it’s sold. Maybe I should try again and buy some other tips.

Airpods pro is really good but somewhat boring but ANC helps you have a lower volume which I miss.

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #248 of 337
I’m frustrated by Powerbeats Pro because I like the style and sound quality but the fit isn’t perfectly stable as it should be, and I don’t think it’s totally caused by my wearing glasses. I’ve tried adjusting the ear hooks, which ended up making them more difficult to put on and also led to a more inconsistent seal which affects the quality of the bass.

I’m pretty sure I’d be disappointed with AirPods Pro (I want similar or better sound quality, and I agree with the observations here though maybe if I try them they’ll grow on me like the regular AirPods). Beats Solo Pro has the best sound quality of the three, but truly wireless is more convenient all-around so it's harder to justify since I don't really sit around the house listening to music and if I did I have other options. That being said Powerbeats Pro won't replace regular AirPods for me so they're relegated to fitness, but the fact they audibly move around when I'm walking/running might be a deal-breaker to me.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #249 of 337
I’m frustrated by Powerbeats Pro because I like the style and sound quality but the fit isn’t perfectly stable as it should be, and I don’t think it’s totally caused by my wearing glasses. I’ve tried adjusting the ear hooks, which ended up making them more difficult to put on and also led to a more inconsistent seal which affects the quality of the bass.

I’m pretty sure I’d be disappointed with AirPods Pro (I want similar or better sound quality, and I agree with the observations here though maybe if I try them they’ll grow on me like the regular AirPods). Beats Solo Pro has the best sound quality of the three, but truly wireless is more convenient all-around so it's harder to justify since I don't really sit around the house listening to music and if I did I have other options. That being said Powerbeats Pro won't replace regular AirPods for me so they're relegated to fitness, but the fact they audible move around when I'm walking/running might be a deal-breaker to me.
I experience the same problem you described with powerbeats pro, but have found the airpod pro very much to my liking.

My problem might be the anatomy of my outer ear and inner ear canal and not the bt iem.

Mar 6, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #250 of 337
My problem might be the anatomy of my outer ear and inner ear canal and not the bt iem.

You gotta try some different sizes of SpinFit tips https://www.amazon.com/SpinFit-CP50...sr_1_7?keywords=spinfit&qid=1583531224&sr=8-7

They are fairly cheap and some people's ears are not identical so one ear might take a different size so try more than one size to get a good seal and excellent SQ form the PBP's!

BTW, as to the previous post above Sidecross, I always wear sunglasses when I use my PBP's and the Earpiece wire just slides around my ear next to the sunglass frame with no problem. I make sure to snuggle the tips in each ear after putting them on and they work fine until I'm done walking the dog, washing my truck or doing yard work....Really enjoy their SQ from my iPhone as a source.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #251 of 337
You gotta try some different sizes of SpinFit tips https://www.amazon.com/SpinFit-CP50...sr_1_7?keywords=spinfit&qid=1583531224&sr=8-7

They are fairly cheap and some people's ears are not identical so one ear might take a different size so try more than one size to get a good seal and excellent SQ form the PBP's!

BTW, as to the previous post above Sidecross, I always wear sunglasses when I use my PBP's and the Earpiece wire just slides around my ear next to the sunglass frame with no problem. I make sure to snuggle the tips in each ear after putting them on and they work fine until I'm done walking the dog, washing my truck or doing yard work....Really enjoy their SQ from my iPhone as a source.
I have and like spinfit and have tried each size. I was surprised that the large fit the best on both airpod pro and powerbeat pro. :)

Mar 7, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #252 of 337

I’m pretty sure I’d be disappointed with AirPods Pro (I want similar or better sound quality, and I agree with the observations here though maybe if I try them they’ll grow on me like the regular AirPods). Beats Solo Pro has the best sound quality of the three, but truly wireless is more convenient all-around so it's harder to justify since I don't really sit around the house listening to music and if I did I have other options. That being said Powerbeats Pro won't replace regular AirPods for me so they're relegated to fitness, but the fact they audibly move around when I'm walking/running might be a deal-breaker to me.

I am sure you have already tried but I’ll go ahead and explain how I did anyway.
I also had problem with fitting them and sound changing all the time. After trying what felt like every way possible I turned the ear hooks inward toward the head so it pushed the Powerbeats outward and in-ear part itself inward. Give it a try if you haven’t.
Before this I was on my way to give them up even before even trying other earbuds.

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #253 of 337
Just purchased Beats Solo Pro, which sounds excellent and looks amazing in Grey — pairs beautifully with my Gold Apple Watch with Stone band. Needless to say I’m glad I tried them but Powerbeats Pro are going back. They don’t replace AirPods for me and the fitment is annoying. I was extremely happy with Beats Solo Pro during my demo and they’re even more stable than Solo3 so I think I’ll enjoy them a lot.

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #254 of 337
It’s the best of both worlds honestly. I can still use AirPods for runs, podcasts, etc. (Powerbeats Pro take effort to put on, especially after I adjusted the ear hooks yet despite my best efforts they still audibly moved around while walking/running) and now I have the Solo Pro for the gym and casual music listening.

The sound quality, ANC, and Transparency Mode on Beats Solo Pro are all better than AirPods Pro. (Not to mention the style — I don’t look at AirPods Pro and think they look all that stylish, even if they are on-trend.) I like AirPods Pro, but this time around I’m going for quality over convenience.

AirPods have a different use case, as they let in almost all ambient sound naturally which I find works better for phone calls and is also quite comfortable as it’s more transparent-fitting in the ear than AirPods Pro.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #255 of 337
It’s the best of both worlds honestly. I can still use AirPods for runs, podcasts, etc. (Powerbeats Pro take effort to put on, especially after I adjusted the ear hooks yet despite my best efforts they still audibly moved around while walking/running) and now I have the Solo Pro for the gym and casual music listening.

The sound quality, ANC, and Transparency Mode on Beats Solo Pro are all better than AirPods Pro. (Not to mention the style — I don’t look at AirPods Pro and think they look all that stylish, even if they are on-trend.) I like AirPods Pro, but this time around I’m going for quality over convenience.

AirPods have a different use case, as they let in almost all ambient sound naturally which I find works better for phone calls and is also quite comfortable as it’s more transparent-fitting in the ear than AirPods Pro.
The quality of wireless BT has so improved that comvenience shares a top spot in my calculations as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back