Powerbeats Pro (Truly Wireless IEM from Apple/Beats)
Jul 23, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #181 of 337
Has anyone tried using the Powerbeats Pro with an apple device that has Bluetooth 4.1 rather than 5.0? If so, how is the range before you have drop off? I'm curious about the indoor and outdoor range. The reason I ask is I am running out of space for music on my Iphone (a 6s) and was thinking of buying an Ipod Touch 7 Gen as well as the PBP. I did not want to buy a brand new Iphone as my current phone works fine and the Ipod Touch 7th gen is a lot cheaper. However, the 7th Gen has Bluetooth 4.1. I would like to be able to leave the Ipod sitting on a table in the center of my house and be able to listen to music while walking around doing chores. Or something simliar outside. I know one of the benefits of Bluetooth 5.0 is the extended range, so I'm curious what the range is on an apple device with Bluetooth 4.1.

Jul 24, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #182 of 337
Has anyone tried using the Powerbeats Pro with an apple device that has Bluetooth 4.1 rather than 5.0? If so, how is the range before you have drop off? I'm curious about the indoor and outdoor range. The reason I ask is I am running out of space for music on my Iphone (a 6s) and was thinking of buying an Ipod Touch 7 Gen as well as the PBP. I did not want to buy a brand new Iphone as my current phone works fine and the Ipod Touch 7th gen is a lot cheaper. However, the 7th Gen has Bluetooth 4.1. I would like to be able to leave the Ipod sitting on a table in the center of my house and be able to listen to music while walking around doing chores. Or something simliar outside. I know one of the benefits of Bluetooth 5.0 is the extended range, so I'm curious what the range is on an apple device with Bluetooth 4.1.
He tested this use case. The Bluetooth range is crippled on an iPod Touch with Bluetooth 4.1. The iPod Touch is obsolete. I strongly recommend you buy a new iPhone this September with large storage and use just one device. The experience is greatly improved on the new iPhone X style devices.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #183 of 337
Not sure if I misinterpreted your post, but I don't see any reference in the video you posted to how the Powerbeats Pro work on bluetooth 4.1. Has anyone tried these out with a bluetooth 4.1 device? If so, how was the indoor/outdoor range.

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #184 of 337
Not sure if I misinterpreted your post, but I don't see any reference in the video you posted to how the Powerbeats Pro work on bluetooth 4.1. Has anyone tried these out with a bluetooth 4.1 device? If so, how was the indoor/outdoor range.
I had linked the wrong video. I updated the post.

Jul 29, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #185 of 337
I returned mine after testing them for a few weeks. The hard plastic driver behind the tip and clip were not comfortable. Creating a good enough seal to get proper sound quality was also tough. The only way for me to do that was to use larger tips than usual. This was also is not comfortable. Even when getting the proper seal the sound quality was not better than my JBL Reflect Contour 2. Those are also significantly more comfortable and 1/4 the price.

Aug 8, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #186 of 337
Does anyone have any recommendations for some triple flange ear tips? I've tried lots of single and double flange tips, but I still cant seem to get a good seal. The best are the Comply Sport foam tips for me, but I'm still not completely satisfied with the seal and sound isolation out of them.

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #187 of 337
Does anyone have any recommendations for some triple flange ear tips? I've tried lots of single and double flange tips, but I still cant seem to get a good seal. The best are the Comply Sport foam tips for me, but I'm still not completely satisfied with the seal and sound isolation out of them.

Powerbeats pro are not made with the intention of providing 100% seal and noise isolation. You either enjoy them as they are or just return them. They are supposed to be semi open. This results to a much more comfortable fit than the one of conventional iems, as well as to a more open sound avoiding the closed chamber sense of isolating headphones. With that said, they are for sure not completely open as AirPods. Apple has chosen a middle solution for the Powerbeats pro, which in conjunction with their perfectly anatomical fit, works quite well. What I need to emphasize on is that the bass of the Powerbeats pro is a real one, bearing all the openness and real feeling of a good speaker, on the opposite of the one of isolating iems which is created by trapping air in the ear canal. Generally audio reproduction of these semi open headphones is top notch especially for a truly wireless implementation.

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #188 of 337
Powerbeats pro are not made with the intention of providing 100% seal and noise isolation. You either enjoy them as they are or just return them. They are supposed to be semi open. This results to a much more comfortable fit than the one of conventional iems, as well as to a more open sound avoiding the closed chamber sense of isolating headphones. With that said, they are for sure not completely open as AirPods. Apple has chosen a middle solution for the Powerbeats pro, which in conjunction with their perfectly anatomical fit, works quite well. What I need to emphasize on is that the bass of the Powerbeats pro is a real one, bearing all the openness and real feeling of a good speaker, on the opposite of the one of isolating iems which is created by trapping air in the ear canal. Generally audio reproduction of these semi open headphones is top notch especially for a truly wireless implementation.

Gotcha. Thank you for that explanation. I actually quite like the sound of them with the Comply tips, so that's not an issue. I guess I'm just seeking a little more closed-ness for situations where more sound isolation is preferred, such as at the gym. My gym blasts music over loudspeakers so when I prefer to wear earbuds, I need something that is a little more isolating. I guess these aren't the earbuds for that. Also Im sure even with a better seal, there will still be a bit of noise that bleeds in. I'd actually be happy if the Comply tips came just one size larger.

Aug 9, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #189 of 337
What I need to emphasize on is that the bass of the Powerbeats pro is a real one, bearing all the openness and real feeling of a good speaker, on the opposite of the one of isolating iems which is created by trapping air in the ear canal. Generally audio reproduction of these semi open headphones is top notch especially for a truly wireless implementation.
I just listened to the new AirPods and was shocked at how good the sound stage and bass was up to the point where it rolled off. If the PowerBeats Pro are an extension of this down to 20 Hz, they probably sound amazing.

Aug 9, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #190 of 337
I just listened to the new AirPods and was shocked at how good the sound stage and bass was up to the point where it rolled off. If the PowerBeats Pro are an extension of this down to 20 Hz, they probably sound amazing.

Hi Monstieur, If you followed my previous posts you could see that I was kind of negative because many people as well as some reviewers used to compare them with Powerbeats 3, the fit of which I’ve been deeply hating. But here we are talking about completely different buds. They are stable in the ear, light, highly anatomical and very comfortable! AirPods also got that open sound, but they are tiny and thus their bass output is quite mediocre. But Powerbeats pro offer this openness of sound in conjunction with really efficient drivers. As I wrote before it’s the closest I felt to loudspeaker audio sense from a headphone! Apple did a great job because Powerbeats pro are semi open (open bass and sound, no disturbances and ear internal sounds from silicon stuck in your ear canal), but at the same time not completely open like AirPods. You get some isolation for sure with the Powerbeats pro. Also they are light like the AirPods but at the same time they feel stuck on the ear and their silicon tip is 100% stable in the ear, which was not the case with Powerbeats 3 since their shape was wrong and not anatomical by any means!

Sep 20, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #192 of 337
Sep 20, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #193 of 337
What’s going on in the world of audiophiles? Beats is becoming a brand that offers flat bass with a treble push while mainstream brands (Sennheiser) are prioritizing boosted bass on consumer headphones.
I was pleasantly suprised. And honestly, thouroughly impressed with the powerbeats pro

I'm really enjoying using them for running and gym sessions

I get the feeling, it's as a result of Apples tuning and influence, as even the apple USB C dongle has ridiculous SNR and THD

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #194 of 337
I was pleasantly suprised. And honestly, thouroughly impressed with the powerbeats pro

I'm really enjoying using them for running and gym sessions

I get the feeling, it's as a result of Apples tuning and influence, as even the apple USB C dongle has ridiculous SNR and THD

Apple cares about audio more than they’re given credit. Powerbeats Pro has extremely low THD.

Sep 20, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #195 of 337
Apple cares about audio more than they’re given credit. Powerbeats Pro has extremely low THD.
I agree mate, people flocked over the whole taking the headphone jack away, but when apple does somethign extremely well, they turn their heads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back