Power Cord Shoot-Out: 14 Power Cords Reviewed
Jan 11, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #76 of 197
In my setup this cord sounded harsh and lacking in bass(when connected to amp). I guess it all comes down to synergy, I much prefered the stock cord that headroom supplied, an 18 AWG Unshielded volex. I've got a Magicpower (very welll reviewed) coming here in a week or so, should ship out tomorrow. It's a 10AWG unshielded design, think it's made from carol cable. Can't wait to try it out. I also use volex cords on my speakers, computer, monitor and dac.

Jan 11, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #77 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
I've got a Magicpower (very welll reviewed) coming here in a week or so, should ship out tomorrow. It's a 10AWG unshielded design, think it's made from carol cable. Can't wait to try it out.

Let us know what you think. I had the MagicPower on my GS-1 and thought it sounded too dull. YMMV. Also, if you like its sound in your system and want to purchase more, it is very easy to make your own. The MagicPower is just 10/3 Carol wire which you can get at Home Depot. The Marinco IEC and wall plugs can be purchased at Parts Express. You would have to add a few bucks more for the Techflex and heat shrink tubing, which is purely cosmetic in purpose.

May 19, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #78 of 197
OK, so I've added yet another cord (taking me well over the 14 cord mark). Here's my review of the latest power cord and how it fits in with all the others....

16. Oyaide Tunami Power Cord- Assembled by Michael Wolff

Web site: Website: www.wolffaudio.com

Pricing (6ft. cord): $345

Preface
Since publishing this review (and its updates), I've turned down over a dozen other offers for review samples from other makers/marketers of power cords (who may well be reading this now-- hi!
tongue.gif
), due to absolute burn-out (as you can imagine). A few months back, I sold my TG Audio 688 that had been on my source since I first got and recommended it when this review was fresh. I sold it in a temporary pinch (and an attempt to rationalize my system to no avail), and I've regretted it ever since. I replaced it with a cheapie hospital-grade Iron Lung Jellyfish, which I still say greatly outperforms very many much more expensive cords; it's a real and true bargain. Still, it was no TG 688, though it more than held it's own given its absurdly low price. Also, for even longer, I've been happily using the Jellyfish on my stubborn, somewhat power-cord-immune Ray Samuels HR-2, where it has again served more than admirably. Much as I might wish to have used Michael Wolff's Silver Carbon Source cable (now no longer available, he's gone even further upmarket with even more exotic designs) on the HR-2, I couldn't justify buying a cord that cost 2/3rds of what the amp itself cost. C'est la vie.

Recently Michael contacted me regarding a new (reasonably affordable) cord he was carrying called the Tunami. Even though temporarily "retired" from the power cord game, I asked him to send me a sample copy for review. Here are my results with the Tunami on my source; though again, I am comparing (in recent audio memory) against a much much cheaper unit (though a strong performer) in the Jellyfish. In swapping back and forth between the Tunami and the Jellyfish, I hear a difference on the level that is simply undisputable. This is the difference between a nice budget cord that does no wrong, and a serious piece of audio that provides actual bona-fide *enhancement* (with caveats). I've swapped these cords (and what a pain that is) several dozen times, and though not double-blind, I am more than satisfied that the Tunami is simply in a different class altogether from the mighty little Jellysfish. *But* it's potential drawbacks can't be overlooked.

That said, a cable on this level demands that you judge it accordingly on a scale fitting its performance and cost. That means I'm going to be harder on it than it would be on the Jellyfish. After all, I'm not judging in a vacuum. The Tunami is not a perfect cable; it has a few potentially deal-breaking attributes that I will point out.

Review
Oyaide is a Japanese company known (to me) for making very exotic (and expensive) ends/connectors for power cords. Their products typically end up on the most top-of-the-line esoteric cords out there. This seems to be their first attempt at producing the actual cord that fits between their high-quality connectors. Of course the Tunami (as assembled by Michael Wolff) uses Oyaide connectors at both ends; in this case, in a very cool-looking fire-engine red. This is a super-attractive cord if looks matter to you.

This is one of the relatively few aftermarket fancy power cords that is molded/extruded; it isn't just bare wire wrapped in a tech-flex sheath. This is a professionally-made cable, so the internal wires are not loose or jumbled; they are locked in place inside the rubber/plastic sheath. I've read other manufacturers argue that using molded wire cuts down on vibration, which if you believe some claims, is a source of distortion in the audio signal.

The wire itself is the purest copper known to man; this is the same single-crystal copper developed by Prof. Ohno that you've seen used in many expensive interconnects and a few power cords. This is a *very* stiff cord. Not the worst offender in this survey, but still a royal pain to install-- be warned!

So how does it sound? Great! This is definitely one of the better power cords I've tried so far. The first thing that struck me was the incredible blackness of the background from which sounds emerge. This thing is DEAD quiet. Forget about a noise floor- there isn't one. That's it's defining characteristic, most everything else flows from that attribute.

This is a very "vivid" and high-contrast cable. There is a big difference between the lowest lows and the highest highs. Everything is thrown into sharp, stark relief with great clarity and crispness to the image.

A pitch-black backround also almost always means you get a fantastic soundstage, and the Tunami does not disappoint in that respect. Stereo separation is wide, adding volume to the soundstage.

This is a very "hi-fi" sounding cable, if not the most natural and realistic I've heard. It digs up under the sound and pushes it out toward you. This can be thrilling for the right listener. It's an extremely hi-rez presentation; the Tunami leaves little to the imagination, you feel like you get to hear every digital bit on your CDs. Tonally, I wouldn't call the Tunami "warm" or "lush" or "romantic". It's a bit crisp, a bit "digital"; but it errs more toward neutrality than either the warm or cold/analytical sides of the spectrum. This is one of those "ruthlessly revealing" cables that lets the chips fall where they may. Legitimate criticism would be that it's too "revealing", but for some, that's music to the ears.

This is also a powerful cable. Not as tear-your-head-off aggressive as the VH Audio cords, but the Tunami has a powerful and full bottom end, and drums are allowed to really pound. The Tunami gives a firm and fleshy bass without being heavy or slow. Electric bass lines are easy to follow, and exhibit a wide range of tones, so it's not one-note bass.

Adding this cable is like adding a turbo-boost to your system. It gooses everything it touches for better or worse.

That concludes the positives. On the down side, one wishes for more midrage warmth/lushness. There is a slight hollowness to the mids that is troubling. There's a bit of glare or sugar-coatedness to the highs that isn't natural. The Tunami is a bit "digital" and "analytical". There's a bit of sugar-coating to it that isn't natural.

Flexibility: 4
Build quality: 7
Tonality: 7
Soundstaging/imaging: 9
PRAT/dynamics/speed: 9
Resolution/detail/transparency: 9
Value: 8
Overall Performance: 8

Conclusion
Still with me?
biggrin.gif
To wrap this up, it’s time for me to rank order all of the cables under review. This rank ordering reflects performance in my system, based on my own biases and needs. It reflects performance on those components on which each cable fared best. It is not a straight listing of cables in order of the “Overall performance” rating I gave within the individual reviews. Those ratings are dependent on cost/value, flexibility and other factors, the final rank order is based on pure *sound* alone, all other factors be damned.

1.Split decision between the TG 688 (for my source), and the Wolff Source cord (for my headamp)
2.Virtual Dynamics Reference (since replaced/superseded by the David)
3.Split decison between KAS Audio Primus (on my headamp) and Oyaide Tunami (on my source)
4.VH Audio Flavor 1 and Flavor 2
5.Custom Power Cord Company Model 14 Series 2
6.Tek Line Eclipse
7.Iron Lung Jellyfish / Volex 17604
8. Straight Wire Blue Thunder
9.Audio Metallurgy Gold Alloy 9
10.Analysis Plus Oval 10
11.Absolute Power Cord
12.Zu Cable BoK
13.PS Audio XStream Plus

May 19, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #79 of 197
P.S. To manufacturers of power cords who would like me to review your products, please PM me-- I'm back (I guess)
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #80 of 197
GREAT JOB mark..

I've bought a pair of Wolff IC's and 2 Iron Lung Cords based mostly on your reviews & have been quite happy..

Do you have thoughts on isolation of components? Vibrapods? BDR Cones?

I've been playing with Michael Wolff's
"Tuning" Pads which produce some subtle effects on my stuff..

May 20, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #81 of 197
Hi jayB, I tried Vibrapods, but honestly couldn't verify if there was any difference.

May 21, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #82 of 197
Great reviews markl.I always enjoy reading them which is how i ended up getting the VH Audio for my DAC.Keep them coming and hopefully someone answers you and sends cables of their products for reviews.

May 22, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #83 of 197
I frequently scratch my head when I read about power cords. If everyone just started screening the leads, it would help in clearing matters up. With all those mains and signal wires running next to each other behind our stereo equipment, chances are that intermodulation etc. is going to take place. I have been using aluminium foil for years in order to screen my various cables from each other.
But there is no substitute for a beefier power supply. I tend to change the capacitors in the power supply of my equipment where possible. You can hear the difference in my power amps alone.

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #86 of 197
Black Sand Cables Violet and Silver

OK, so here is my write-up of the latest power cord I've tried, which happens to be the BEST so far...

Web site: Website: http://blacksandcable.com/

Pricing (6ft. cord): $180+

Review
Black Sand Cables is one of those low-flying, under-the-radar companies that prefers to let the quality of their products do the talking for them, rather than relying on marketing hyperbole. The man behind the company, John, has declined to hype his products on numerous occasions when he could have easily done so. It seems genuinely not to be his style. In fact, if you were to visit their modest web-site (as it exists as I write), you'd be quite puzzled by their offerings. You'd have a hard time determining what went into their basic offerings vs. what went into their more upscale offerings. It's basically a mess (sorry, John)...

Allow me to clarify (such as I can with the limited info even I have). Black Sand used to have a full cable product line, but more recently, they decided to focus exclusively on power cords only, as that was where they felt they had the most value-add. To that end, they've developed a few power cords, but at the low-end, after receiving lots of feedback, they decided to consolidate their products into a single design. These bottom-level products are all identical save for the color of the jacket they come in: White, Crimson, Arctic Blue. These are all pure copper designs. Beyond that, they offer a copper/silver hybrid called the Silver Reference Mark 4. That's their current top-of-the-line cable.

OK, so Black Sand has only 2 products, right? Well, not exactly. This review chiefly concerns their "Violet" power cord, a product that John is not yet convinced he should include in his product line. It was made as an experiment, and rests between their bottom-of-the-line cords and the Silver. John is not sure if he's going to ofer the Violet as a full-time product. I've written to him several times urging him to reconsider and to unleash the Violet on the world at large. We'll see...

I paid for and received a single Violet, and then later informed John about my intentions to review his product. He then sent me his top-of-the-line product, the Silver to put his best foot forward.

Well, after giving the Silver and the Violet equal time, and numerous swaps, I have to give the nod to the cheaper all-copper Violet (again, sorry John). This all-copper power cord goes WAY WAY beyond the level of performance I've achieved with any other cable. And at a fraction of the price, AND with twice the build quality. (And it's highly flexible, to boot).

Anyway, this cable (the Violet) is just stunning, I'm very excited; it's really like a component upgrade rather than a mere power cord swap. These impressions concern the performance of the Violet on my source, though I've ordered another one for my headamp.

Mad resolution, I'm constantly hearing things I've never heard before, and as you know, that's always a thrill. It's making old 80s CDs sound practically hi-rez. This thing is totally "un-veiled" in every possible way. Best soundstaging I've heard so far (not the biggest, but pretty astounding imaging, everything is so vividly defined and real), and ultra BLACK background.

The Violet is all about lifting veils. The question it poses to you is: how many veils do I *really* want lifted? Is there such thing as "too open" or "too revealing"? You wouldn't think so until you've heard your source with the Violet attached. Totally open and airy, with a nice full, firm sound. Bass is insanely tight and solid. Everything sounds extremely *real* with this cord. The Violet digs up so much information you've never heard before, it can leave you slack-jawed.

This cord (like all great audio products) has taught me something new. Yes, we are all intoxicated by that component which gives us a perceptibly "blacker" background. But, when you think about it, really, half of obtaining a "blacker" background is achieving whiter whites and thus, a greater sense of contrast. IMHO, the Violet is a lot like an Ansel Adams print-- it goes from absolute white whites to pitch blacks; yet it's incredibly sharp and detailed because he's used an absurdly large 4x5 negative. The Violet leaves you with the exact same feeling. It leaves nothing to the imagination, yet at the same time, it doesn't exaggerate or over-emphasize. It's almost realer than real.

The Violet excels in palpability-- you can reach out and touch the artist(s). Guitars are crunchy and vivid. Voices are so clear, you can easily make out expressions that were previously garbled.

Bass and dynamics are second to none. Bass is TIGHT and solid. Bass goes incredibly LOW. The sound this cord makes is eerily present and *real*. There is no way to extract greater dynamic range than to attach the Violet to your gear.

I just bought a second Violet for my headphone amp, I felt compelled to swoop in and scoop it up before they're all gone. John is still pondering whether to put it in the product line, I hope he does. It's the best cord I've heard so far (out of 20+), best built, and dirt cheap (as these things go), too. It's also considerably more flexible than your average aftermarket cord.

I spent another hour and a half with the Silver last night. There's definitely a family resemblance there so there seems to be a Black Sand "house sound". However, the Silver still sounds a bit more constrained, the background not *quite* as black. It has a *slightly* more mellow top end than the Violet.

So yes, it's definitely more "refined", but it doesn't have the same degree of impact, dynamics, astonishing dynamic range, and amazing holographic sound of the Violet. I would think if the Violet was "too much" in your system, the Silver would be a great alternative. But for me, the Violet is intoxicating, I pause and listen to songs I normally skip just because everything sounds so fresh and new. Even though this cord is beyond ruthless and ultra-high-rez, it does the neat trick of making everything sound great without resorting to syrupy euphony. Also, with further burn-in (or mental adjustment), the brightness I noted in the Violet is less and less of an issue.

Conclusion
Still with me? To wrap this up, it’s time for me to rank order all of the cables under review. This rank ordering reflects performance in my system, based on my own biases and needs. It reflects performance on those components on which each cable fared best. It is not a straight listing of cables in order of the “Overall performance” rating I gave within the individual reviews. Those ratings are dependent on cost/value, flexibility and other factors, the final rank order is based on pure *sound* alone, all other factors be damned.

1. Black Sand-- Violet.
2. Black Sand-- Silver
3. Split decision between the TG 688 (for my source), and the Wolff Source cord (for my headamp)
4. Virtual Dynamics Reference (since replaced/superseded by the David)
5. Split decison between KAS Audio Primus (on my headamp) and Oyaide Tunami (on my source)
6. VH Audio Flavor 1 and Flavor 2
7. Custom Power Cord Company Model 14 Series 2
8. Tek Line Eclipse
9. Iron Lung Jellyfish / Volex 17604
10. Straight Wire Blue Thunder
11. Audio Metallurgy Gold Alloy 9
12. Analysis Plus Oval 10
13. Absolute Power Cord
14. Zu Cable BoK
15. PS Audio XStream Plus

Jun 19, 2006 at 11:39 AM Post #88 of 197
Mark-thanks for making the world a better place with your review(s).

How did the Black Sand cables change over the break-in period?

Jun 20, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #89 of 197
Hi HumanMedia-- there is some brightness at the start, but I can happily report that that subsides over time. It's rare that I can type this (and if you've read my reviews, you know this is true), but at this point, I am absolutely without criticism of the Violet.

I just want to point out that it appears John has cooked up another batch of the Violets, they had sold out of remaining B-stock after my review appeared:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....owr&1153898120

The cords I bought were B-stock, returned cords (though they appear brand new) with maybe 40-hours burn-in. These up now are brand new versions, so the price is marginally higher than the $180 I printed. *However*, when you consider that this cord (IMHO) handily beat out a $1200 power cord, it's still a screaming bargain.

P.S. In all disclosure, it should be noted I did receive a small piece of "consideration" from Black Sand Cable after the fact. Namely, they sent me a free Black Sand Cable T-shirt!
tongue.gif
I'll wear it proudly.
cool.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #90 of 197
Why oh why do companies do this... its violet
frown.gif
My Cardas blue us pushing it, pink is well not WAF for sure
wink.gif
BSC make it another color please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back