Power Cord Shoot-Out: 14 Power Cords Reviewed
Jun 20, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #91 of 197
LOL, well in my case they stay hidden behind my rack, so no one sees them...

Jun 21, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #92 of 197
santa sees them...
in fact last time i chatted with him he told me he uses those cables to climb down chimneys as rope cuz they are so well made

Jun 23, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #93 of 197
Markl,
thanks for the huge work
eek.gif
One ot the most interesting threads ever.

I have a question, maybe someone can reply. I cannot find any of the PC listed here in the UK and apparently none of the manufacturers makes a UK version.
What about if I used a US/UK convertor iwth one of these cables; would there be a big loss in quality?

Another point: the Wolff website list the Source cable at $1,000 instead than $600

Jun 23, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #94 of 197
I would imagine that using a converter or some kind of cheater plug would definitely degrade the sound.

Michael Wolff has upgraded his power cords since this review, hence the price differential.

Jun 23, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #95 of 197
With these one man companies, i'm sure you can message him and ask for a custom cable with UK plugs. Though i'm sure it wont be free.

Jun 24, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #96 of 197
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
I would imagine that using a converter or some kind of cheater plug would definitely degrade the sound.

Michael Wolff has upgraded his power cords since this review, hence the price differential.

Many thanks.

It must have been a serious upgrade
eek.gif

Jun 25, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #98 of 197
I had my own experience of the importance of pairing a PC with the equipment best suited to its capabilities. I purchased an Iron Lung Jellyfish to try it on my DAC instead of the Volex 17604. When I had replaced the stock PC with the Volex, all Sennheiser "veil" evaporated (I'm using the HD580 in this rig). When I tried the ILJ in this rig, once the sound had settled, the "veil" was back. So, back to the Volex in this rig.

My work rig, though, ends in ER4S phones, and I thought that a little veil in the high end of this rig might be an improvement. So, at work, I replaced the Volex 17604 powering my computer with the ILJ and - long story short - my work rig has never sounded SO movingly beautiful - with NO loss of the detail or high end beauty that I love, just a toning down of some brightness in its high end that, to my ears, can be fatiguing at times. And, relative to the Volex in this rig, with the ILJ I HEAR the bass more and FEEL it less - which, with the ER4S, is an improvement to my ears.

So, I heard first-hand what Markl had noted in his preliminary review notes, the importance of good synergistic match-making between a PC and the component/rig with which it is paired. In my home rig, ending in HD580, the Volex is clearly my favorite of these two PC's. In my work rig, ending in ER4S, the Iron Lung Jellyfish is my clear keeper.

So, now, I'm counting my pennies, plotting to see when I can spring for a Violet PC.

Thanks so much, Markl, for all of yourself and your multiple talents that are behind this cornucopia of PC information. This has GOT to be my favorite thread in a great while.

Jun 25, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #99 of 197
sbulack,
Thanks, this review represents 5 years of searching for a cord that didn't leave me wanting a little bit more of this or a little less of that. It's not comprehensive (how could it be in the universe of cords out there), but I'm gratified whenever my quest can benefit anyone else. If not for that, I wouldn't bother...

Jun 25, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #100 of 197
Any plans to introduce the Signalcable power cords into the test?

Jun 26, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #101 of 197
Nope, I be done for now.
cool.gif
It never really ends per se, I know, but it's gonna be some time before I look to my *power cabling* as a limitation on my system.

Long before that, I'll be looking at any new headphones (provided we get some unexpected miracle high-end cans in the near future, but I ain't holding my breath
tongue.gif
), sources, and amps.

So this is really it for me and power cords (after 5 years of searching). IMO, that speaks to the quality of the Black Sand Violet. I'm hoping some members will pick one up now that John's made a few more. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. and if you do, good or bad, please post here your findings...

Jun 26, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #102 of 197
i got a violet a few days ago. have it installed on my amp and the improvement is huge!

incredible dynamic range
eek.gif
i'm using it in a 2ch setup, and i've never heard dynamics like this. i went from having good dynamics to kick you in the chest dynamics. very nice!

you're spot on with "whites being whiter." i have some music playing now and jack white's guitar is on fire
biggrin.gif

now i'm thinking about getting another for my source. i'm wondering if it makes as much of an improvement on the source as it does on my amp. i know i can just unplug it from my amp and and try it on my dac, but it sounds too good where it is now and its staying put
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #103 of 197
yo2tup2, very cool, glad it worked well for you in your system. I think your DAC will absolutely benefit from another Violet. Cheers.

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #105 of 197
I received my 2 Violet cords. They are already burned-in, but after some hours, I have some random thoughts.

These don't have sonic signatures of any plating, silver or tin; they sound like 100% unplated copper.

They also don't have "solid core sound"; I'll bet these are pretty fine strands of copper.

Thankfully, they don't sound heavily-shielded, which is a good thing IMO. They sound like they definitely have less amount of shield than the Silver Reference.

I also doubt there's much teflon insulation, if any, in there. PVC or polyethylene would be my guess as primary dielectric, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

So far, they don't quite have the sub 40Hz brutality that my DIY "shotgun" 83802 cord, but that thing is 10 AWG almost-solid-core in heavy teflon; not fair
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back