Power cables
Mar 26, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #31 of 62
Magnet factories and air conditioners won’t be fixed with a power cord.

Mar 26, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #32 of 62
Are you saying that the $5 18 gauge cord that comes with the amp is just as good as a 12 gauge shielded cord that costs $150? There's zero difference or none that would be audible?

Mar 26, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #33 of 62
Audibly identical.

Mar 26, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #34 of 62
Magnet factories and air conditioners won’t be fixed with a power cord.
A magnet factory might be, but it would have to be producing hugely powerful magnets and right next to the wall of your house. You’d probably be better off with some sort of faraday cage or you’d need over-shielded power cables throughout your house. :)
There's zero difference or none that would be audible?
There’s always differences between cables of the same length/type but they’re in the order of hundredths or thousandths of a dB, way, way below audibility. The difference between 18 and 12 gauge cable would be bigger but still well below audible unless the power output of the amp was high, impedance of the speakers was low and the cable length required a lower gauge than 18, which presumably it didn’t otherwise for a few extra pennies they’d have supplied the correct gauge.

G

Mar 26, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #35 of 62
You'll give them ideas! Audiophile faraday cages!

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #38 of 62
Are you saying that the $5 18 gauge cord that comes with the amp is just as good as a 12 gauge shielded cord that costs $150? There's zero difference or none that would be audible?

When I buy upgrade cables it's for better build, better materials, better handling qualities, and appearance. I don't expect they will improve the sound quality, so I'm never disappointed. I got what I bought it for. Anything else becomes a bonus.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #39 of 62
yes yes i know..

what i cant get my head around with fancy power cables making a sonic difference is the fact that household wiring to the plug socket/outlet is plain old commercial household wiring and more than likely loose/ish terminals in the back. or is there some fairy dust inside the fancy cables, or is it just bragging rites and eye candy.

please explain...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ps-audio-perfectwave-ac-12-power-cable.886654/

no mention of sq so….
gawd it’s sound science, ignore my post

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #40 of 62
Shielded power cables is always a good idea, not only for EMI (actually braided shields are not so good against EMI), but for nearby power transformer 50-60Hz hum,

May be useful if you have a ton of equipment and a messy cable routing,

Otherwise, just use the right gauge for the power handling and it will be just fine
:)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #41 of 62
When I buy upgrade cables it's for better build, better materials, better handling qualities, and appearance. I don't expect they will improve the sound quality, so I'm never disappointed. I got what I bought it for. Anything else becomes a bonus.
It's a waste of money (but then again, it's your money).
You have nice and cheap cables on AliExpress, I don't know anything about the sound benefits bought from there
I'm sorry if I seem negative , this is good-intentioned advice
How something looks is not a priority for me.

I understand this is the Sound Science section, but still everyone is stating their beliefs without technical evidence.

On the other hand, you can compare what the cable manufacturers advertise with scientific tests all over the internet ,(not here).
For me (I will not highlight my auditory impressions on the Sound Science section) the explanation that that last meter of the power cable has the role of a filter, well-directed current...has a healthy approach.
Clean energy is very important in audio, whoever says there is no, has no experience with high fidelity sound

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #42 of 62
You quoted me for some bizarre reason but you seem to be doing pretty well contradicting yourself. Quit trying to argue with me :wink:

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #44 of 62
You completely misunderstood me
You have a conflict with yourself

I tell you what- you can say whatever you want, because you just went into my ignore list. Buh bye :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back