Power cables
Mar 21, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #17 of 62
I have a sub panel in just for my office equipment. No desktops, only laptops, and the power draw isn't as great as it might sound.

Just a point that the emi is not always avoidable.

Mar 22, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #18 of 62
Just a point that the emi is not always avoidable.

Srsly, that's what tinfoil hats are for...

Anyway, I have a lot of equipment in my home office(s) and I don't have problems with electrical noise. I try to minimize the number of switching PSUs, wallwarts etc. They're probably the biggest sources of noise. If that doesn't help, then the symphony (banshee wailing) of rack server fans at 20,000 RPM will. :D

Mar 26, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #19 of 62
or is there some fairy dust inside the fancy cables, or is it just bragging rites and eye candy.

please explain...
They often market them as effectively having some fairy dust inside but hide the fact that’s what they’re effectively claiming with pseudoscience, so it is just bragging rites and eye candy (and placebo).
Nothing proven in any kind of lab test at this point. The effect is real and easily audible (more noticeable than analog interconnects).

forgot to add: more expensive does not mean better. But they sound different.
So you’re saying that no audio equipment manufacturer lab tests their equipment or has any idea how consumer AC power affects the internal power supplies or performance of their products. Interesting :)
My setup is in my home office, surrounded by a good deal of computer and networking equipment and a lot of it generates EMI.

I only have two outlets for 16 electronic devices so they have to share..
My setup is in a tiny machine room with 3 workstations, a Wi-Fi router, 2 Ethernet switches, a NAS, Bluetooth, about 15 hard drives, 3 amps, 2 master-clocks, 32 channels of ADC and DAC, 16 channel analogue audio router, plus a bunch of other equipment and countless analogue and digital interconnects. A large amount of EMI in a small space and in total about 40 or so electronic devices sharing one power outlet, all using the power cords that came with them, some of which don’t look very well made.

No noise or interference anywhere near audible levels!

G

Mar 26, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #20 of 62
The audiophile dongle I tore apart and posted here years ago had gravel in it. Another one someone else did a teardown on had garden loam. I don't know if that exactly qualifies as fairy dust!

So you’re saying that no audio equipment manufacturer lab tests their equipment or has any idea how consumer AC power affects the internal power supplies or performance of their products. Interesting :)

He's also saying in one breath that there have been no tests to prove that there is an audible difference, and in the next breath he announces as a given that there is an audible difference! That shows how seriously we should take his claims.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #21 of 62

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #22 of 62
The thing about power line noise is it's either there or it isn't. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You could have spent all those $$$ on something that actually improved your sound, or better yet spend it on music. They convinced you you heard an improvement you now doubt exists. You got ripped off. It's OK. I got ripped off a couple of times myself. I got smart.

Mar 26, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #23 of 62

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #24 of 62
I don't know if that exactly qualifies as fairy dust!
It depends on how that gravel or loam got in there. If a fairy put it there then maybe :)
It just depends what you believe.
No, it makes absolutely no difference what you believe, the facts are the facts regardless. Ohms law wouldn’t change even if every audiophile didn’t believe it. 1+1 will still equal 2, even if some people choose to believe it equals something else.
It’s fine for the group of Sound Science to defend the wallets of defenses spenders. I mean that’s their job right.....to voice their opinion about stuff proven to be falsified highly misleading.
No it’s not our job (here on head-fi) and it’s certainly not our job to voice our opinion here in Sound Science. When we do voice our opinion we (should) make it clear we’re voicing our opinion, the rest of the time we’re NOT voicing our opinion, we’re voicing the facts!

G

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #25 of 62
It depends on how that gravel or loam got in there. If a fairy put it there then maybe :)

No, it makes absolutely no difference what you believe, the facts are the facts regardless. Ohms law wouldn’t change even if every audiophile didn’t believe it. 1+1 will still equal 2, even if some people choose to believe it equals something else.

No it’s not our job (here on head-fi) and it’s certainly not our job to voice our opinion here in Sound Science. When we do voice our opinion we (should) make it clear we voicing our opinion, the rest of the time we’re NOT voicing our opinion, we’re voicing the facts!

G
Truly amazing that you know it all. All you know? Huh?

5EE1780F-DF5E-4D61-917B-34A40B88C632.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #26 of 62
Truly amazing that you know it all. All you know? Huh?
Who said that I know it all? Certainly not me! If I don’t know, then usually I don’t comment, although sometimes I’ll voice an opinion (and make that clear) or ask a question.

Not that unreasonable or difficult to understand is it?

G

Mar 26, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #27 of 62
Gregorio knows more about this subject than most. He knows things that you could learn from if you were open to learning from others.

The best way to learn how not to be swindled again is to admit you were swindled and learn from the experience.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #28 of 62
My setup is in a tiny machine room with 3 workstations, a Wi-Fi router, 2 Ethernet switches, a NAS, Bluetooth, about 15 hard drives, 3 amps, 2 master-clocks, 32 channels of ADC and DAC, 16 channel analogue audio router, plus a bunch of other equipment and countless analogue and digital interconnects. A large amount of EMI in a small space and in total about 40 or so electronic devices sharing one power outlet, all using the power cords that came with them, some of which don’t look very well made.

No noise or interference anywhere near audible levels!

Ah, but there are other variables which is why I prefaced my equipment list with...

I don't think there's one answer to this for everyone.

Mar 26, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #29 of 62
I don’t think it’s an issue for many people at all; an for those for whom it is a problem, swapping in a fancy power cord won’t fix it. I can’t think of an instance where a power cable can fix anything.

Mar 26, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #30 of 62
Ah, but there are other variables which is why I prefaced my equipment list with...
Ah but I didn’t list all the variables, like the air conditioner in the room, just some of them.

I’m not sure there can be many more detrimental conditions/variables in consumer homes. Maybe if you live right next to a magnet factory but surely most audiophiles don’t?

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back