Power Cables... Really?
Jun 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #196 of 417

Quote:
They say it will make my computer work better. 
rolleyes.gif

This is the kind of exact baloney that these power cord makers try to sell you..

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #197 of 417

Quote:

What do you know about these tests? Who was involved? What gear? What cables? ...........

This is really funny. Hey "prorockman" how long have you been making cables? a couple of weeks? you’ve learnt on the Net how to solder a couple of cables, and now you’re Mr. Expert who can make cables as good as any other. Is that right? LMAO.........

Links to tests here http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths

I am not Mr Expert, which is my point. If I can do it, so can anyone else.

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #198 of 417
Quote:
Spelaeus, I see your point. Let me know what your observations after your first head-fi meet please? Money sometimes is a big requirement for this hobby. I make most of my own cables. I do know what works with my gear by trial and error. Ask Ken from Revolution Power? Spent a lot of money there finding out what works or doesn't. Also I go to demos and other audio club meetings. My knowledge with cables is by experience and not by heresy. I have buddies that come over and know when I have changed my rig without telling them. I have an ear for sound. So what, so do some a few friends of mine. Listen to my gear 4-6 hours a day, everyday. The next Seattle area meet is 7/17. Everyone is welcome. Call me arrogant, so what. I don't just sit around my computer and dispute everything. I actually get out and audition gear out. Just ask Larry from Resolution Audio for example. My knowledge is not from the internet. Yes I can tell you the difference between the Oyaide Tunami and the Cardas Reference by experience for example. If your gear is capable please audition some good cables. You just might like what you hear?

I'd like to make clear that this post is the exact opposite of seeing his point.

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #199 of 417
Quote:
Spelaeus, I see your point. Let me know what your observations after your first head-fi meet please?

I heard a lot of 'phones hooked up to fancy and expensive cables, and the to same models with stock cabling, at canjam.  I couldn't tell a difference between the different cables.  As far as I could tell, the evidence supported my original hypothesis, which was based on logic, but little actual experience.  That would be the ranking of factors affecting SQ is roughly, Source File > Headphones > Amp > DAC > Most Everything Else > Cables.

That's not exactly the best controlled experiment possible, but they are my first hand observations.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #201 of 417

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #202 of 417
GO Ahead give me some crap over this post,if you must!!!   We all know there are 2 maybe 3 "CAMPS" on A.C.Cables, I.C.s, Speaker, Digital and even HDMI connecting Wires, RIGHT! So why all the trash talk back and forth between "US"???.. One more time from me, I like building and using DIY "Knock Offs" of the Hi-Priced cables and wires!  For those of you who don't believe in (hearing a difference) that's fine........Oh! I have been Placeeeeboed by my own cables, We All had a GOOD LAUGH!!!   I guess many of you would crap if you saw my cables wrapped in the "Shun-Mook" cable jackets and up off the floor in my Main Rm,.. That's ok. It pleases me and sounds GREAT!!!!  So we can argue with each other until the "cows come home", on this subject but I wonder what the 1st time readers are thinking about "US" as a group........Who, I believe often enjoy (mostly for a good laugh) each others comments and each of OUR quest to get the best SQ from our systems.................JMO.

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #203 of 417
That is awesome you build cables for your own use,me too. You don't have to spend a lot of money to make a good cable. It is funny not more people know that. You don't even have to solder a power cable. Who would of thunk it? Yes some posts get me rolling laughing too.

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #204 of 417
Cables do make a difference, but you dont have to spend alot of money for good ones, the reason cables sound different or better from each other is because of the differences in impedance and capaticance*,  the number of strands , the gauge of strand, the overall gauge and so forth affects this. Ideally the best type of cable would be a flat or foil cable because this would offer the lowest impedance and lowesst capaticance.

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #205 of 417

Quote:
That is awesome you build cables for your own use,me too. You don't have to spend a lot of money to make a good cable. It is funny not more people know that. You don't even have to solder a power cable. Who would of thunk it? Yes some posts get me rolling laughing too.

X2

Just materials cost and your own time. No soldering. Easy and fun too.

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #206 of 417
Quote:
Cables do make a difference, but you dont have to spend alot of money for good ones, the reason cables sound different or better from each other is because of the differences in impedance and capaticance*,  the number of strands , the gauge of strand, the overall gauge and so forth affects this. Ideally the best type of cable would be a flat or foil cable because this would offer the lowest impedance and lowesst capaticance.

Could you back up all of those claims with sources? As in, research that shows impedance makes a difference, capacitance makes a difference, strand count makes a difference, gauge makes a difference, and so forth makes a difference?

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #207 of 417
Capacitance can make a difference if you have a very long run of cable.  At least 50 feet before it starts to attenuate the highest treble.  At the lengths most people actually use, and the the voltages and frequencies most people transmit over them (ie audio) capacitance makes no difference.  If you want to see an actual application of excess capacitance in a wire causing improper operation get a look at cheap CCFL from someone, tweaked PC or car.  Those light operated from several hundred volts at at least 20Khz AC.  Close your fist over the wire between the light and the transformer watch it get dimmer.  Try to splice in 6 extra feet of wire and see if it light up at all.  So unless you're playing back ultrasound over your 5000 watt hypertweeter for you dog or something, capacitance isn't a issue.

Strands don't matter at all, and before anyone says 'skin effect' let me point out that it does not occur at audio frequencies.

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #208 of 417
Every believer seems to overlook the fact that there are a wide variety of power supplies in use. If a cable made the same "improvement" on every power supply it would be very odd indeed. It would be like insisting that chocolate sauce poured over any food would be delicious. That the chocolate sauce made things better whether it was on ice cream or a piece of garlic pork. It is equally ridiculous to expect the same cable (assuming, arguendo, there is a difference) to have the same effect on a diode rectifier and a tube rectifier. A little technical knowledge shows that they work on *very* different principles. If people think the effect is the same on each, that is a strong indicator pointing at the "difference" being entirely psychological. As does everything else in the cable debate.

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #209 of 417
A classic.

Quote:

Nonetheless, I eagerly await the time for the notorious pro-cable army to be recognised for what it actually is; a bunch of scientifically ignorant internet personalities arguing about the infallibility of their senses and the suspension of the laws of physics.

Hopefully 'acablism' will become prevalent on head-fi, but that might require the withdrawal of certain commercial interests...

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #210 of 417
Quote:
Every believer seems to overlook the fact that there are a wide variety of power supplies in use. If a cable made the same "improvement" on every power supply it would be very odd indeed.

Some could even say...

The chocolate sauce thing though, I disagree with. I've tried lots of chocolate sauces with my dinner and they all tasted good. I build my own bottles and don't spend much. You need to come out to a meet and try it, only then will you be able to see reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back