Power Cables... Really?
Jun 12, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #16 of 417
Quote:
so lets get this straight first,
you didn't try it first, even with a simple cheap 14 awg cable into cheap marinco or hubbell plugs and try to dismiss it based upon a gut feeling.

Quote:
No, I'm basing it on 4 years of education and logic

Plus everything man has discovered about electricity and physics.  The thing is, when you propose something that contradicts most of what people a lot smarter than you or me have spent centuries of painstaking research to discover, then the burden of proof lies on you.  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  Do I have to get Carl Sagan's invisible dargon out of my garage?

I think that's about as far as I can go without mentioning The Topic Which Must Not Be Discussed.

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #17 of 417
I dont get it. Do you guys rewire the cabling in the house and to the power plant too? :D

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #18 of 417
Quote:
I dont get it. Do you guys rewire the cabling in the house and to the power plant too? :D

Yeah, don't forget that power lines aren't even made of copper.  They're aluminum!

eek.gif

Shock!  Horror!

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #19 of 417
Try one and listen, or be content with the $3 piece of crap that comes in the box. Why are these arguments rehashed over and over and over? The "science" says that just about everything should sound the same. Your CD player, your amplifier, certainly your speaker cables and interconnects, none of it should make any difference at all. So buy the dirt cheapest CD player you can find, digital is digital, bits are bits, as long as the signal doesn't drop out, the sound will be identical to a $60K belt driven Burmester. As long as your amplifier isn't clipping or otherwise producing distortion, it will sound identical to a $20K Krell Evolution, so save a lot of money there too. Use home depot bulk wire for everything, and of course, the cheapest powercords with molded plastic connectors available.

Enjoy the "sound" that results.

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #20 of 417

Quote:
Try one and listen, or be content with the $3 piece of crap that comes in the box. Why are these arguments rehashed over and over and over? The "science" says that just about everything should sound the same. Your CD player, your amplifier, certainly your speaker cables and interconnects, none of it should make any difference at all. So buy the dirt cheapest CD player you can find, digital is digital, bits are bits, as long as the signal doesn't drop out, the sound will be identical to a $60K belt driven Burmester. As long as your amplifier isn't clipping or otherwise producing distortion, it will sound identical to a $20K Krell Evolution, so save a lot of money there too. Use home depot bulk wire for everything, and of course, the cheapest powercords with molded plastic connectors available.

x2!!!

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #22 of 417
Jun 13, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #24 of 417
Quote:

Gotta fight fire with fire.  Extremism against extremism.  This is the sad part about it.

And truth with lies, apparently.

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #25 of 417
Insightful article, Lenni, thanks for sharing. I understand the author's message but I must say his vindictive writing style is probably the worst way to try to express controversial opinions to a wide audience. Most of his statements require a lot of book reading or personal experience to verify or disprove, so only people who already know what he's talking about or those who trust blindly may agree, while the general public has no inclination to research if what he says is right or wrong and gladly think he's just a crazy canadian. When writing an article read by the general public it's important to explain things one at a time and tackle contradictions one at a time, not make sweeping statements that require a complete disbelief of conventional explanations in order to make sense. The same is true for power cables, but the question remains, is the general public really interested in how power cables work? Or do they just like to make fun of audiophiles and aftermarket cable manufacturers the same way they like to make fun of conspiracy theorists?

Jun 14, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #26 of 417
OP just needs to go to a meet and try stuff out. Opinions change sometimes at meets.

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #27 of 417

Quote:

there are plenty of different methods for converting digital to analog/amplification that give different results.  stop bsing and take a digital signal processing course before you make stuff up.  I have yet to take a class about cabling.

Jun 14, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #29 of 417
Yeah, you are absolutely correct about that. not the best link to get the point across. thanks for pointing that out. I just gooled “science lies” and this site came up. I knew it was sort of bordering on extremism, but it was interesting to read their points of view, so I posted it anyway. I’m not anti-science, I just don’t believe everything science says; the same way I don’t believe everything religion says. I rather trust my own instincts... and my bs'ometer.

Thanks for the input

Quote:
Insightful article, Lenni, thanks for sharing. I understand the author's message but I must say his vindictive writing style is probably the worst way to try to express controversial opinions to a wide audience. Most of his statements require a lot of book reading or personal experience to verify or disprove, so only people who already know what he's talking about or those who trust blindly may agree, while the general public has no inclination to research if what he says is right or wrong and gladly think he's just a crazy canadian. When writing an article read by the general public it's important to explain things one at a time and tackle contradictions one at a time, not make sweeping statements that require a complete disbelief of conventional explanations in order to make sense. The same is true for power cables, but the question remains, is the general public really interested in how power cables work? Or do they just like to make fun of audiophiles and aftermarket cable manufacturers the same way they like to make fun of conspiracy theorists?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back