Power Cables... Really?
Jul 12, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #346 of 417
I hear this "first few feet" thing all the time, and it never makes much sense to me. I really need someone to explain in depth the reasoning behind it.

It's a government thing.  It's there to help ya by straighten things out.

Personally, I understand the interconnect cable thing but power cords do mystify me.

My understanding, the power cord's purpose is to help remove noise that's introduced via the wall wiring.  It's also suppose to help prevent extraneous additions of EMI/RFI that's introduced by being around other cords and transformers on a power strip.  The design of the cord is suppose to prevent the power cord from creating EMI via it's personal design.  Lastly, like a capacitor (and no, it doesn't become a capacitor), it is suppose to make it easier for the transformer to meet power demands and remove the power supply cord as an energy bottleneck so energy flows smoothly to the transformer when demands are put upon the transformer during particularly hard attack passages of music; bass or treble.  And in doing so, is suppose to help open up the sound stage, make bass punchier and reduce the harshness of treble notes.

Wait a second...... climbing into my special made, sonically approved, cyberspace fire retardant suit.

Okay, let er rip.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #347 of 417
Then why not buy a good power conditioner instead? That's actually proven to do some of the things power cables are claimed to do. Not necessarily sonically, but electrically.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #348 of 417
Then why not buy a good power conditioner instead?

Working with you on your above.  I just recently purchased and had installed into the computer a new high grade power supply unit that has individual power supply links and as you suggested, this did make a small noticeable difference that put a smile on my face.

Actually, when I evaluate changes, I ask myself how does the new sound impact my emotions as the sub-conscience knows more than I do as to what's what.  And if when I listen, my face lights up, or my shoulders don't crunch up when hearing a passage where they did crunch up, I know there's been a sonic change to the good.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #349 of 417
Beeman458, there is no causal link between the problems you list and power cables. This is like telling people that it's 90 degrees out because you're wearing a blue shirt. There is no cause and effect, it is entirely a non sequitur. If you have a problem with RFI, you can buy a filter for about $4. $50 or so will buy you an isolation transformer that will take noise off the line. What you have to realize is that RFI and other forms of noise are measurable. You can buy a meter specifically made to measure RFI. Now, the measurable RFI can be defeated by, again, a measurable filter. All of this is accepted practice and has been for decades. I don't think you realize the amount of research that's gone into this. If there were different effects based on metals, etc., that would have been discovered 80 or 90 years ago. There would be extensive research done by the military, research universities and major corporations. There would be patents for industrial use. But none of that exists. Cables are on the same level as bigfoot, faith healers, UFO cranks, and your good old-fashioned snakeoil salesman.

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #350 of 417
Just curious, so what about Bybee's quantum purifiers. These are used by the military and still classified (in some cases). The technology is being applied in audio in AC and IC's. Anyone measured or heard the effect these provide? 

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #351 of 417
I will have to check the Pro Cables out. As for the last few years I have been making my own The Arcam has Belden 14AWG copper cable with Furutech Gold plated ends, The Woo has Cardas 11AWG copper with Oyaide Rhodium over Silver connectors, The Synergistic Research has PS Audio 10 AWG with some Marinco connectors. I have some Furutech SPC cable and some more Belden stuff laying around. The more cables I make cables, the more they disappear. I take is as a compliment. A few friends and relatives have them. All my cables in my rig are DIY. It doesn't mean I don't have any after market cables. And I do demo cable from a retailer from time to time to keep up with them. I do like the Oyaide Tunami cable for a manufactured cable.

Quote:
Power cables??? Well...here is a very good site with very good prices on them, and very good customer service and reputation, other thna that I will pass...here is where I get mines lately...Pro Cables....you can beat those prices for hospital grade shielded power cables...

BTW those guys has other very good offers as well...

Jul 12, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #352 of 417
Quote:
Just curious, so what about Bybee's quantum purifiers. These are used by the military and still classified (in some cases). The technology is being applied in audio in AC and IC's. Anyone measured or heard the effect these provide? 

Well this thread has finally gone off the deep end...

I'd like to get into the magic talisman business as well, but my conscience just keeps getting in the way.

Jul 12, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #353 of 417
Actually, I like the effect my Walker Audio Talisman has on CD's 
wink_face.gif

Jul 12, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #354 of 417
Words fail me...

At least DIY your own Halbach Array, not that it will do anything...

Sometimes I find myself filled with faith and hope about the future of the human species, but then something like this comes along and reveals it all to be a naive delusion.

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #355 of 417

Quote:
Words fail me...

At least DIY your own Halbach Array, not that it will do anything...

Sometimes I find myself filled with faith and hope about the future of the human species, but then something like this comes along and reveals it all to be a naive delusion.

But hey, from the sound of it, it seems that you're all the hope that we need.  You go dude!!

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #357 of 417
Well I just bought and received a Cardas TwinLink Power Cable From Todd R and my system has never sounded so good.  In fact my system is now the best system I have ever heard, hands down, no questions asked.  It is as if huge veil has been lifted, nothing flows through my system but emotion.  I won't say I was skeptical, but I do know interconnects make an impact, so I expected power cables to as well, I just wasn't sure how they would.  But now I know!  Well, now we can count myself as one of the faithful, of the true gospel of power cables.    

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #358 of 417

Quote:
"...It is as if huge veil has been lifted, nothing flows through my system but emotion..."  

The problem is that we all have heard those same words time after time, and trust me that is very hard to convince people with anecdotical evidence, I do not want to sound harsh, and sorry do not take me wrong, but those are the same exact words all we have heard along these years, the same that dealers use, the same that reviewers use...I could literally find this same exact phrase in reviews, literature from magazines, dealers pages, etc...

Poppa I ordered once Marinco connectors from PartExpress and I still have a cable around done with them, to me those connectors are horrible, pretty flimpsy if you ask me, not sure about the exact model, but they were very poor implemented...to me Marinco is just another myth....Also as a curiosity why placing Rhodium over silver, is not silver a better conductor...it like taking a pure copper and tin it...llAlso becareful with non UL certified cables, any problem, fire, etc...and no insurance will cover you...in the professional world also they are not allowed if they are not UL certified...

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #359 of 417
Rhodium sounds so much smoother than Silver, Sovkiller. With tubes it smooths out the warmth in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back