Power Cables Make A Difference? Have A Listen Here...
Mar 14, 2008 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 153

SamNOISE

New Head-Fier
Stereo System Power-cables – Audible difference? - Listen for yourself here...

Last time ‘round (see January 24th post on Cdnav.com), I put together a quality, ultra-thick, shielded power cable with cytogenetically treated, ‘audiophile quality’ IEC and plug, and compared it to a ‘freebee’ power lead the likes of which accompanies pretty-much every non-portable computer sold in North America. I supplied you with high-quality, lossless .WAV audio files to audition as well as high-resolution visual graphs comparing the data throughput from each cable. In the end, no-one who contacted me was successful in audibly identifying which cable was which, nor see any visual difference between the two cables data transfer characteristic.

I received quite a bit of email concerning this evaluation; some folks were courteous and supportive, others not so much… ridiculing me [without actually addressing the subject]. They appeared to feel that the topic should be above subjective investigation.

Others suggested that I re-do the evaluation with a commercial-grade cable instead of a D.I.Y. unit - I assume they feel that laborers on assembly-lines are able to construct products to a higher tolerance than a dedicated individual with time on his hands and a knack for excellence. At any rate, I acquiesced and purchased a power-cable from a well-known manufacturer - one with rave reviews from audiophiles around the world; the xStream PSAudio Prelude.

Speaking strictly from an aesthetics / physical build standpoint, I must give high marks to this beast. Its heft is impressive (10-guage), and the build-quality is really a thing to behold. The cable is fairly stiff and it’s solid-billet, machined prongs are at the absolute limit as far as size goes – its takes some seriously heroic effort to actually plug it into a top-quality, ‘hospital-grade’ socket on one end and the DAC on the other – I thought I might damage these sockets just plugging / unplugging this power lead – supposedly however, the ‘tightness of connection’ is important. PSAudio states that the Prelude cable offers the following benefits:

Multi-strand OFC copper
Connectors machined from solid billet
Nickel plated connectors
Hermetically sealed connectors
2 shields
Hot and cold welded connections
Removable ground pin
Ferrite impregnated jacket
Unrestricted power delivery
No stamped brass parts
No corrosion
Huge surface area for connections
Cleans while it powers
Excellent power delivery
Lower noise floor
Ability to eliminate ground loops

And here are some accolades heaped upon this cable by audiophile folk around the Net’:

Quote:

"I have just installed four Prelude power cords throughout my system. These 4 cords are being used with a high current Ultimate Outlet and a Juice Bar. WOW, what a difference in sound...more richness, clarity, depth, and warmth. Better still the removable ground pins entirely eliminated those annoying ground loops...gone 100%. Now there is nothing but beautiful music and movie soundtracks. The overall improvement was well worth the investment. In addition, these cables look great.”

Quote:

“The Prelude is very dynamic and lively. All PS Audio cables definitely have more of a "power punch" than almost all competing products. I attribute this to their size, better soldiering, and nickel plated plugs.”

I put this beautiful bit of cable engineering up against what surely must rate as the most pathetic example of a power cable ever devised: my dangerously dilapidated, ridiculously constructed ‘free PC power lead’. My previous ‘specialty cable vs. PC lead’ indicated that any functional, ‘standard computer power cable’ was more than up to the task of moving electricity – without acoustic detriment to the equipment it was connecting to the source. As such, I decided to push the envelope and see how far one has to go in order to cause an audibly detrimental effect via 120 volt power lead. On one hand we have the outstanding build quality of the PS-Audio device, on the other; my FrankenCable: details below:

I began by cutting a generic computer power cable (likely near-identical to the one powering your home PC at this very moment), into three sections with a pair of scissors (yes, it’s that thin). Then, in order to re-attach the (now), three lengths of cable back into one whole length, I stripped bare the conductors on each side of the first two pieces and simply twisted each appropriate wire back together to rejoin them. I then cellophane-taped the exposed wires, thus covering the bare conductors in order to avoid electrocution.

The other cut-off section I re-affixed to the whole by twisting and taping [one] of the wire conductors as described above. For the remaining two wire conductors, I decided to create a worst-case scenario by splicing in a one-meter length of 18-guage, unshielded ‘zip-cord’! This created uneven lengths of wire in the overall cable length – what some might call ‘asymmetrical’. Afterwards, I taped it similarly to the previous splice.

A few moments of pondering how to make matters worse for this cable found me attaching a metal rotary brush to my power-drill and proceeding to abrade all three exposed prongs on the plug-end in order to tarnish the cheap plating and encourage oxidation. I dipped the prongs in tap-water and hung the cable assembly outside on a tree in my back yard in order to see what a little elemental exposure might bring. After about two weeks of the cable hanging in a tree, I took the cable and rubbed the prong-end in dirt outside my shop for eight to ten seconds or so, then brought it inside and pounded the prongs with a hammer. Finally, I twisted the prongs to-and-fro with a pair of pliers – all this in an effort to absolutely deteriorate / minimize the three prong’s overall connection with the hospital-grade wall-receptacle I would be plugging it into.

Beat-up D.I.Y FrankenCable in one hand, PSAudio lead in the other, I proceeded to conduct a series of recordings and measurements, contrasting the two cables head-to-head. Details of the audio kit & the custom-build audio workstation PC used for these recordings is detailed on the Cdnav.com site – Jan 24th. The only change I’ve made since then was to remove the hard disk drive from within the PC and mount it in an external shielded box as I had done previously with the power-supply. This was at the suggestion of an audiophile who participated in the previous cable-audition, who felt that it might attract or be the cause of, “extra noise that would veil detail in the recordings”.

Additionally, I’ve created a slightly enhanced setup for auditioning this time around by partnering the PSAudio power cable on the DAC with my carefully made D.I.Y cryo-cable on the computer. On the other side of the evaluation, I coupled the FrankenCable on the DAC with a standard PC cable on the computer. In both cases, I hosted the Pioneer Elite transport on an APC ‘Pure-Sine-Wave’ UPS device.

I’ve not messed with the supplied lossless .WAV files in any way aside from cropping the ends of the file to a length that I hope is short enough that Chesky Records won’t sue me for posting them. Again, for the sake of shaking a horde of lawyers off my case: I strongly suggest that if you enjoy the music files posted for this evaluation, you take it upon yourself to go out and purchase the Chesky Records – ‘Ultimate Demonstration Disk’

Chesky Records - Ultimate Demonstration Disk

The music featured in this evaluation is [a section of] Track 3: Spanish Harlem, by vocalist Rebecca Pigeon.

I haven’t bothered to hide the files amongst others identical to it in order to throw you off, rather, I trust that you’ll be mature enough to take the evaluation at face-value and audition them back-to-back on the PC, using a quality set of headphones and perhaps an outboard DAC or high-quality sound-card. I also (strongly) suggest that you burn these two lossless tracks to CD and play them back on your main, high-resolution stereo system in an attempt to discern audible differences. It’s up to you to decide which file is which, I’ve simply gone so far as to supply them with two innocuous titles: ‘Spanish Harlem Left’ and ‘Spanish Harlem Right’. The files are not exactly the same byte-length, only because I wasn’t quick enough on the start / stop record buttons in the software application. File-size is no indication of anything in this evaluation aside from my reflexes.

Take your time; as many hours / days as you feel necessary. Relax, pour a drink of your favorite beverage, put your feet up, pop the CD in and hit ‘repeat’… Let me know what you feel you are hearing. According to audiophile lore, one of the files should be instantly discernable as sounding absolutely horrid, thin, veiled, vague – while the other will be sweet and velvety, full bodied and robust.

My original intension was to supply a graphic representation / waveform for you to view, but decided against it as several listeners in the previous power-cable shootout berated me for employing an open-source application for this procedure, suggesting that I would need to spend a minimum of several hundred dollars on a commercial product in order to get anything like a serious representation from the files. I wasn’t prepared to do so for this one-off eval’, thus, no pretty pictures.

I’ll be sending PSAudio a link to this evaluation as well and we’ll see how they respond and what they have to say in regards to the performance of their product. Maybe they’ll send me one of their ‘top-of the line’ / $1000.00 per meter cables to evaluate :) (I’ll not hold my breath on that one). I happen to have one of their late-model power amplifiers on hand (HCA-2), and am working on methods to capture its’ output to file with my PSAudio prelude power cable as well as my FrankenCable - while the amplifier is outputting signal just below clipping. The amplifier’s user’s manual specifies that the unit will ‘offer enhanced performance’ with an after-market cable (which they conveniently happen to sell…). Perhaps noteworthy; the user’s manual for the Yulong DAH1 outboard DAC which I’m employing for this evaluation also specifically states that it will “greatly benefit from an aftermarket power cable”.

Please note: I am more than prepared to redo this evaluation with (any) power cable on the market vs. my junker or whatever my readers suggest as ‘competition’. I am also working on the acquisition of a PSAudio DAC III external digital audio unit for future experiments. If any of you have cables that you’d like to add to this evaluation, please contact me and we’ll arrange for shipping – which I’ll pay for both ways – insured / express.

I strongly suggest that you conduct your own auditions in a manner similar to that which I’ve outlined above, incorporating any enhancements you can think of; then publish them on the web. I, as well as any of the 100+ A/V forums out there (see Cdnav.com’s ‘Other Forums’ list), will publish your results so that others can attempt their replication.

I realize that I’ll hear from all kinds of audiophiles who will state that “in their systems, in their homes, with their environment / city power-supply etc, etc., “their power-cables make a huge difference”. Well, here’s an easy way to find out if you’re fooling yourself lads: capture your own lossless audio (or video), files with your own equipment and post it for replication by others. None of this stuff is rocket-science; all of the required components are easily obtainable. I’ll offer to help in any way reasonably possible (short of jumping on a plane and coming to your home in another province / state / country).

Notes: with regards to the layout of my shop’s electrical feed and potential electrical interference in the immediate area. I wired this shop myself; each wall (!) has its own lead back to a brand-new Siemens ‘EQ Load-Center’ box. The lines have been tested and certified by our city’s electrical engineer (have paperwork for those interested). I’ve also re-tested the plugs I installed for this particular evaluation using GB-Electrical GRT-500 Circuit-Tester. I used separate wall-plugs for running the PC / DAC and Pioneer Elite transport in this evaluation (PC/DAC on South wall – Transport on West)

As for potential air-borne interference; the shop is located in a residential neighborhood located approximately eight blocks from an electrical sub-station to the North, eight or nine blocks from an AM radio station to the East and about the same distance from an FM radio station to the South. I am running a D-Link wireless router a few meters from the test-bench, as such; there is enough electrical energy in the air around here to make my body’s molecules shake somewhat I suppose :) We appear to have a fairly decent power-grid in the area; I very seldom experience brown-outs and the power only fails in weather extremes. The city is host to approximately forty-three-thousand persons.

Without further ado: the audio files and images:

https://cdnav.sslpowered.com/Auditio...0-%20Right.wav
Spanish Harlem - Right.wav - 12.5MB

https://cdnav.sslpowered.com/Auditio...20-%20Left.wav
Spanish Harlem - Left.wav - 12.5MB

https://cdnav.sslpowered.com/Auditions/Junk%20Cable.jpg
FrankenCable - 110Kb

https://cdnav.sslpowered.com/Auditio...io%20Cable.jpg
PSAudio Cable - 103Kb

Andrew D.
Canadian Audio Video

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 153
I just listened, there is no difference, at all. It is impossible to even guess. You are fooling yourself if you think you can hear the difference (this is directed at anyone who thinks they can hear a difference).

Now the subjectivist people will be on your case about how your DAC wasn't able to pick up the subtle nuances of the change a cable makes, even though the DAC is many, many times more sensitive than your ears...but this is pretty clear to me. If they have the exact same waveform when you record the line-output, then there can be no difference in the sound. MOD EDIT: Religious mention removed.

Nice song though, and Andrew, thank you for the amazing effort and the detail in your description and for furthering the cause of sanity in the audiophile world.

Mar 14, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 153
I listened to those tracks several times with different headphones (K-501, HP-2, HD-600, DT880, SA5000) and heard no difference. Terrific music selection, too. I've always liked the song, but unadorned vocals are what I use to get a handle on how a piece of gear sounds and whether my cartridge and arm are set up correctly after a change. Distortion and other problems seem to leap out. The piano near the end gives you a little more range and is helpful, too. Still, nothing jumped out from either recording to signal a difference.

Would you mind conducting a similar test with interconnect cables?

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woah, the difference was even bigger than the difference between FLAC and WAV!!!!

I think 'just as big as' would be the optimal term here.

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woah, the difference was even bigger than the difference between FLAC and WAV!!!!

quoted for TROOF

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 153
This is interesting and perhaps telling. I for one need some more explanation and discussion of the capture process and the implied equating of what the computer 'hears' of the music reproduced with each power cable and then encodes to a .wav file with what someone would hear if the music instead 'continued' thru a dac, amp and speakers or headphones at that point (vs. takes your .wav and has their system reproduce that second recording thru their system). Your method seems to show that your computer cannot tell a difference in terms of what it then is able to encode to a file.

We all know that currently we are not able to see a difference in instrument/computer measurements between cables themselves, at least not that can be correlated with any perceived difference. I'm not sure this procedure shows anything different or more than that. But maybe it does, some more discussion would help.

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now the subjectivist people will be on your case about how your DAC wasn't able to pick up the subtle nuances of the change a cable makes, even though the DAC is many, many times more sensitive than your ears...but this is pretty clear to me. If they have the exact same waveform when you record the line-output, then there can be no difference in the sound. You'll find the subjectivists here will defend their faith not unlike that of early religious groups (and some modern ones).

I agree. At this point I think the debate whether a reasonably built power cords is better than a premuim one, is dead. By that, I mean there is no evidence to suggest that they actually make a difference, or even any evidence that they could possibly make a difference.

Unless you are one of the many unfortunate people on this forum who already prescribe to that belief, there is very little to argue about.

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 153
So even if there is no audible difference, there is still (can be) a difference between a $2 cable and a $1000 one- but the difference is not mesuable because it is emotional.

example of such
Study: $90 wine tastes better than the same wine at $10 | Underexposed - CNET News.com

Well, I guess there is something you can measure- the brains "pleasure center"

Both cables technically sound the same, but for some people, the more expensive, exotic one will sound better- "real" or not, it does effect the way they enjoy the music.

I don't feel like going into more depth on this, as I frankly don't care about expensive/exotic cables...

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riboge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is interesting and perhaps telling. I for one need some more explanation and discussion of the capture process .

From the CDNAV article
----------------------

The evaluation employs a Pioneer Elite DV-45A as a transport and Yulong DAH1 outboard DAC combination, connected with a Toshiba pure-glass TOSLink Cable. This is driven into a PC (using one or the other of the two cables under consideration), which has been custom-built for this evaluation. The computer sports an Intel D915GA series mainboard with the latest BIOS update (0482), a dual-core 2.8 GHz Pentium processor, one-gigabyte of Kingston brand DDR-400 RAM memory and a Seagate 80 Gigabyte, SATA hard disk drive. All other drives have been disconnected and cables removed. The mainboard hosts only one PCI card; an ASUS Xonar audio interface (onboard audio has been disabled at the BIOS level). Said card is running the very latest drivers – version 8.17.25. The operating system is Windows Vista Business Edition, build 6.0.6000. All patches, updates, service packs etc., have been added to the OS and it’s been freshly defragmented. This edition of Windows Vista has been tweaked as an audio recording and playback platform according to suggestions in the Benchmark Audio Windows Vista Audio Playback - Setup Guide

The hard disk drive contains no extraneous application software aside from Audacity version 1.2.6 and LAME version 3.97 – basically, its’ pretty much empty.

The PC is running in a chassis without an internally mounted power supply unit. Said PSU is situated approximately eight inches outside the case. This is due to concerns with electromagnetic noise contaminating the audio signal – as expressed by many audiophiles when it comes to PC-based audio manipulation… The power supply in question is a 380 watt, Antec ‘True-Power’ version 2.0 unit, custom-ordered for this project. The power supply, transport and DAC are all plugged into three separate wall sockets – each sporting an independent feed back to the breaker panel (I built the shop several years ago and ran separate lines for - every – plug and light fixture!). No other devices are plugged into any of the three sockets. Correct polarity has been confirmed in all wall-plugs by myself and the city electrical inspector. (Image of equipment CD & DAC / Audio Card)

---------------------------------------------

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 153
Over the years I have often heard huge changes with different power chords. What I have not been able to figure out is if it was my imagination (wishful thinking), the real deal (maybe science of audio yet to be understood).

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #15 of 153
Thanks, nick_charles, but what I meant was discussion of the role and effect of the inputing of analogue (yes?) to the sound card which then digitizes it (again) to a .wav file. Can some of the characteristics of the output of the DAC which has conceivably been energized, filtered, etc., in some characteristic way by a given power cable be lost in this translation back to 1's and 0's? If so, these possible characteristics could/would effect the amplification and speaker electromechanical conversion in reproducing the original recording but not effect the reproduction from the derived recordings. I am not asserting this, please note. I am just indicating what seems to need more explication and explanation.

Also, btw, the interconnect from DAC to PC card is not specified though I realize the digital and analogue interconnects are the same for both arrangements. Could these filter out a difference that some other interconnects would not? You have to assume no cable differences (beg the question) to not consider this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back