Power Cables, any way to test?
Apr 12, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #61 of 130

I have a different theory.  Audiophiles are picky about their gear and if a company provides a $500 power cable that is a brand/model they don't like, it won't be used.  And who wants to pay extra for a $500 cable they won't use?  Better to discount the product, include a cheap power cable just in case, and let the consumer buy what they want.  It makes the item look cheaper to the consumer and lets the consumer mix and match to their heart's content.

BTW, I formed this theory after Cavalli didn't include a cheap power cable with the Liquid Carbon.  The theory was that audiophiles wouldn't use it anyways and it kept the price down.  There was a lot of talk about power cables after that and some people did testing with expensive cables, as stated earlier, and found that audiophile cables did indeed make a difference.  

Economy and flexibility are good reasons to omit uber pc's. I encourage it (getting whatever pc you can afford and like).

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #62 of 130

If you are referring to my statement "True, but some people tested both an inexpensive and $100 9 AWG cables, and swear the $100 cable sounds better." I could have been more specific (and you could have been less pedantic :). They claim the system they were listening to sounded better when they used the $100 power cable vs a cheap cable. For example, this post from Stillhart (a HP Supremus) and the following post from @Hansotek (also a HP Supremus). @Stillhart "noticed small differences". In fact, that was the post that prompted me to start this thread. 

​Hansotek noted (with the Liquid Carbon): "The difference with the big 7-gauge AC-9 was quite significant, improving treble smoothness, bass and treble extension, impact, noise floor, micro dynamics, and opening up the soundstage."

Look around. Those same claims are made everywhere. Be it with changing micro sd cards, cases, cables, screen protectors, changing to other daps, adding amps............................

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #64 of 130

Better. 
biggrin.gif

I use a Brita water filter at my tap. There are miles of dirty piping behind it. That little filter at the end of all that piping makes a difference to my health. From the prespective of the component (amp, source, etc), the pc isn't the "last few ft", it's actually the first few feet.

http://www.shunyata.com/support/faqs/293-faq

Unless the water quality is really bad, a water filter does not do anything positive for your health. And if it would do: many countries would have such systems recommended/used in water cleaning factories (dont know the right word). Seems youve been tricked. Water filters in developed countries are just a sort of quackery. Yes they are.The difference you might notice would be the Ca++ removed by a bit, but that is not bad for your health (if youre living in a developed country).

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #65 of 130

Better. 
biggrin.gif

I use a Brita water filter at my tap. There are miles of dirty piping behind it. That little filter at the end of all that piping makes a difference to my health. From the prespective of the component (amp, source, etc), the pc isn't the "last few ft", it's actually the first few feet.

http://www.shunyata.com/support/faqs/293-faq

Not sure that Shunyata marketing fluff is going to be too convincing.  It is their livelihood to sell you expensive power cables.

How about a rebuttal from another cable vendor.

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/power-cables

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #66 of 130

Unless the water quality is really bad, a water filter does not do anything positive for your health. And if it would do: many countries would have such systems recommended/used in water cleaning factories (dont know the right word). Seems youve been tricked. Water filters in developed countries are just a sort of quackery. Yes they are.The difference you might notice would be the Ca++ removed by a bit, but that is not bad for your health (if youre living in a developed country).

Hard water is bad. And filters reduce the hardness -- mostly calcium. Look at the buildup over time in your showerhead.

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #67 of 130

If I'm reading your posts properly, you've never tried an expensive power cable.  I'd suggest you at least try out a thin "el cheapo" vs a thick one.  Spend $10 on Amazon for two cables and try them yourself to see if you detect any changes.  Until you do even the smallest bit of empirical testing, I think you should probably refrain from insulting both manufacturers and customers.  Heck, I'd even be satisfied if you could provide theory based on science as to why a power cable shouldn't make a difference.

Calling that insulting? Wow. Trying to sell people cables that "offer much better SQ, increased detail"etc etc, that is *insulting*!

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #68 of 130

Not sure that Shunyata marketing fluff is going to be too convincing.  It is their livelihood to sell you expensive power cables.

Their power conditioners raised my system's SQ to well above anything I've heard since. Enough said.

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #70 of 130

Calling that insulting? Wow. Trying to sell people cables that "offer much better SQ, increased detail"etc etc, that is *insulting*!

So you've listened for yourself and not heard a difference?  This is the Sound Science forum; can you provide ANY sort of backup for your claims that power cables can and will never affect sound quality?

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #71 of 130

Technically the water would be used to move something if it were to be an analogy to electricity.  Just looking to maintain a constant flow rate.  We don't have cleaner electrons that make my iPod sound clearer.

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #73 of 130

So you've listened for yourself and not heard a difference?  This is the Sound Science forum; can you provide ANY sort of backup for your claims that power cables can and will never affect sound quality?

http://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-blind-test-power-cords-12-2004.html

Im not tricked by my brains whenever I would test the cables. Many, if not all, audiophiles believe in sighted testing. Do so if you want but dont think those tests trump real statistical tests.

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #74 of 130

Their power conditioners raised my system's SQ to well above anything I've heard since. Enough said.

Do you live in an area or home with particularly poorly regulated power (current, not price :)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back