Power Cables, any way to test?
Apr 20, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #106 of 130
Sorry, I'm a big believer is science, but your post makes no sense. Maybe it's losing something in the translation.

The point of dropping a magnet (not a people) in the tube was to demonstrate that an electrical field is not affected by insulting material. That's all. It's scientifically accurate. His overall point is that unless a wire is shielded, if it's next to other wires that are not shield and they all the electrical current, then the fields around the wires may affect the other wires. This also makes sense.

What he doesn't discuss is how this affects the current, and if there is any negative impact. Peridot even discussed a negative impact of shielding each power wire.

Sorry, if you were trying tomato a point, I completely missed it.

I'd agree with that and I did have to think for a while before grasping the point that castleofarg was tomatoing 
smile.gif

I believe it's that in the first video the the passage of the magnet is affected by the presence of the pipe. The shield is impeding its passage.

Therefore it can be deduced that the presence of the shield on the cable will affect or impede the passage of current in the cable, which would be an undesirable effect.

This is indeed another contradiction in the position taken.

Apologies if I've got that totally wrong.

Apr 20, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #107 of 130

Sorry, I'm a big believer is science, but your post makes no sense. Maybe it's losing something in the translation.

The point of dropping a magnet (not a people) in the tube was to demonstrate that an electrical field is not affected by insulting material. That's all. It's scientifically accurate. His overall point is that unless a wire is shielded, if it's next to other wires that are not shield and they all the electrical current, then the fields around the wires may affect the other wires. This also makes sense.

What he doesn't discuss is how this affects the current, and if there is any negative impact. Peridot even discussed a negative impact of shielding each power wire.

I'd agree with that and I did have to think for a while before grasping the point that castleofarg was tomatoing 
smile.gif

I believe it's that in the first video the the passage of the magnet is affected by the presence of the pipe. The shield is impeding its passage.

Therefore it can be deduced that the presence of the shield on the cable will affect or impede the passage of current in the cable, which would be an undesirable effect.

This is indeed another contradiction in the position taken.

Apologies if I've got that totally wrong.

I think you have it backwards. Without the shield, the magnet drops slowly because the field generated by the magnet in the copper creates a magnetic field that slows the drop of the magnet. Takeaway there is no shield, magnetic field generated.

With the shield the magnet drops really fast. Takeawat: with shield, no external magnetic field generated.

New how a magnet dropping through a pipe relates to electrons traversing a wire, I'm not sure. I think the point was simply to show that shield, well, shields. That's it. The assumption is that a shield is good.

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #108 of 130
Shields do not block magnetic fields , they do absolutely nothing to stop EMI. Twisting the wires reduces EMI generated noise. Shielding only works to reduce RF and electrostatic noise. Currents on a shield can also create noise on a cable. A few of the those power cables that he cut open on the video are not legal or safe. He completely missed to factor that can reduce noise from power cables. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #109 of 130
Shields do not block magnetic fields , they do absolutely nothing to stop EMI. Twisting the wires reduces EMI generated noise. Shielding only works to reduce RF and electrostatic noise. Currents on a shield can also create noise on a cable. A few of the those power cables that he cut open on the video are not legal or safe. He completely missed to factor that can reduce noise from power cables. 

Interesting. Wikipedia, which is alway right, says this:

The shield acts as a Faraday cage to reduce electrical noise from affecting the signals, and to reduce electromagnetic radiation that may interfere with other devices. (For more, see electromagnetic interference).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shielded_cable

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #110 of 130

What are you considering to be the differences between EMI and RFI?

As generally defined RFI is really just a type of EMI.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #111 of 130

those vids.... throw pebbles in a tube, therefore shield cables!   \o/ best idea ever.

who cares about shape, material, airflow... but wait when will we be in a situation with a conductive metal surrounding my wire? oh I know, when I shield it! so this is obviously a demo to tell people not to shield their cables right?  well nope, F logic.

I was watching the demo and thinking "birds fly free in the sky, real 3D freedom, and they have feathers. therefore I make cables with feathers!".

eheh, sorry if I'm not clear. also please pretty please, never assume that I'm the voice of science!!!! I'm lot of things, but I'm not a scientist and it's painfully obvious most of the time. ^_^

my first point was that I could perfectly have something to go down the pipe at different speeds without it having any magnetic properties. maybe adding the "cage" around the magnet just gives a shape more fitting and avoids chaotic movements inside the tube for all I know. or the texture has less friction with the surface? etc.
not saying what he shows isn't happening, it is. just that we could do a "demo" with the same kind of results using exclusively plastic and a little care for shapes,diameters, and textures.

and secondly, the first thing coming to my mind that is round metallic and surrounding the cable, well that's the shield ^_^. if you don't want one cable too close from the other one to reduce interactions, you use some rubber insulator to create a distance. works just fine for almost any cable.

I'm not questioning magnetic fields or the fact that the force generated by the current flowing will indeed try to oppose the flow. it's the overall "this therefore that" of the video that makes me jump. because nothing is said of the impact of the shield itself on the cable.

Apr 21, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #112 of 130
Getting back to the original subject of how to test power cables. Seems like one way would be with one of the testers as shown in this video:

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #114 of 130
Here's another one, not specifically power cable related, but you get the idea;

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #115 of 130
Wow, my impression of audio advisor just dropped quite a bit. "Leaking noise". Sure, it may be true, but there was no explanation as to why that might affect SQ. Sheesh.

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #116 of 130
so we need shielded cables to protect the outside world from the signal passing through it? to me that's what those videos are trying to demonstrate.

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #117 of 130
I've no idea what the first video is trying to demonstrate beyond the fact that a non-contact voltage detector won't work on a shielded power cable.

The second one is fine. It's just demonstrating that cheap crappy signal cables are likely to have cheap crappy shielding. That's not surprising.

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #118 of 130
I've no idea what the first video is trying to demonstrate beyond the fact that a non-contact voltage detector won't work on a shielded power cable.

The second one is fine. It's just demonstrating that cheap crappy signal cables are likely to have cheap crappy shielding. That's not surprising.

Obviously at least one poster found them compelling evidence of something, (what that something is remains to be seen), otherwise why link to them? It's really sad how low the bar can be set and yet still get people to suck up this kind of rubbish. Note to self: start a cable company........

Apr 21, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #120 of 130

Users who are viewing this thread

Back