1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

power amplifer and adapter to drive the headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by harmony1992, Sep 11, 2018.
  1. harmony1992
    hi guys,if you have any great plan of driving the headphones with adapter to pre &power amplifer or intergrated.could you please share the experience and your combo here.

the very dificult driving planar headphones such as
    hifiman he6/susvara
    abyss1266
    audeze lcd4
    hd800

2. wwwwwwwjn
    I`m interested in this topic too. Have you had any solution or recommendation?

3. rumina
    i use(d) different class a amplifiers with headphones. most of the amps i use are nelson pass amps like the the first watt j2 or diy f5, diy pass sony vfet. for headphones like the abyss or lcd4 you don't need a box (voltage divider), only check that the offset is ok and if you like double safty first power the amp on, wait 30 sec then connect the headphones, off - first disconnect the headphone, then power off.

today i use my abyss phi most of the time with a pathos inpol remix (10 watt class a tube hybrid amp) without box - it's the setup i like most of all my gear.

from time to time i use my diy pass sony vfet with a box for my more efficient headphones. it's easy to build a box (voltage divider), take a look here:

https://robrobinette.com/RobinetteBox.htm

but buy some quality resistors (i use some jantzen resistors).

btw 80-90% of the integrated amps using a voltage divider for the headphone socket, well made with good parts it's a good solution and often better then a simply opa headphone ampboard.

imo a good class a amp with around 10-25 watt is hard to beat for power hungry headphones, only headphone amps like the dynahi are similar good.

if your into diy audio a pass f5 is a great amp for these headphones, sadly it's hard to get the parts for a pass sony vfet but thats a real magical amp. a f5 is easy to build and to set the bias, you can made even a better match lowering the power a bit (look at diyaudio com for help).

4. kid vic
    Integrated amp user here; I've used or am currently using:
    Akai AM-2650
    Yamaha CA-600
    Kenwood KA-9100
    Citizen JSA-8

With headphone amps I had a cheap Ebay straight outta china tube amp (like $30) then a really nice Darkvoice 3322.
    I find that a well made (vintage) integrated will sound better than a well made headphone amp for less money and be more versatile.