Potential “Headphone Sampler” concept?
Dec 10, 2010 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chrisbrock

Head-Fier
[size=medium]“Headphone Sampler” concept?[/size]

[size=medium]I am going to have some extra green to play with this Christmas and I had an idea that I think if possible could be very helpful for me as well as anyone else who is getting into the world of head-fi for the first time.  And I do apologize if an idea like this has been presented before however my searches did not find anything. Here it goes…[/size]

[size=medium]It has become obvious to me that many manufacturers generally adhere to what has been referred to as a “house sound”. This does not mean that I am suggesting that every headphone model a manufacturer produces follows this but in general it seem like Senns have a particular sound, beyers have theirs, akg, grados, ect.  I myself have heard many of these however only for very short auditions and as a result I never really got a feel for them.  My main thesis here is to have a “sampler” pack of headphones that would be comprised of the least expensive model from a variety of manufacturers that still represents the general sound signature of that manufacturer.  In other words instead of plopping down say 2, 3 or 4 hundred bucks for your first can without even knowing if you will like it why couldn’t someone take that same money and get 3-4 different entry level cans from different manufacturers in order to get an idea of the type of sound that those brands generally represent. Once someone has done this and really gotten a feel for what they like and do not like they could then move forward knowing the direction that they want to go in and what brand they would like to expore further.  [/size]

[size=medium]I hope this makes some sense as it seems very logical to me.  So I ask the following questions: [/size]

• [size=medium]would this even be practical?  [/size]
  • [size=medium]If yes then what cans would you include in the “can sampler” and how much would the total cost be?[/size]

[size=medium]Finally I want to state that I fully understand in most cases there is a big different between an entry level can and a top end one but I still think this approach could have a lot of benefit.  As an analogy I offer this..... [/size]

[size=medium]Lets say I drive a basic truck, suv and sedan and afterwards I come to the conclusion that I did not like the truck at all, felt the suv was just ok but fell in love with the sedan.  Would I then purchase a bigger and more expensive truck or a bigger and more expensive sedan? If I flat out do not like driving a truck then would it really matter if the truck was the F-50000 with the King Ranch, Mega Sierra, Super Turbo, Duelly Diesel model?  I don’t think so and in fact chances are I would actually still prefer the basic sedan. [/size]

[size=medium]Thanks for reading![/size]

[size=medium]-Chris[/size]

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 11
I usually advise people to do this when they are new here on head-fi, I also advise this and also getting headphones that complement each other by making up for things the others lack. That way when you want to listen to classical music you have a headphone for that, when you want to listen to hip hop you have a headphone for that. When you want to use your headphones on the street you have a portable headphone you like to use.

This is called variety and it's a good way to fully enjoy your music.

Dec 10, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 11
My recommended beginner list <$100:
Koss KSC75/PortaPros
Sennheiser PX100  (or PX100-ii)
Alessandro MS1
Denon D1001
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 or A700
Beyerdynamic DT235
AKG - any of the budget ones really

I almost felt like including the M50 on this list, but the M50 is sort of the black sheep of the Audio Technica Family and doesn't sound anything like the rest of them.

Dec 12, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 11
I've got an even better recommendation. Use some of that money to attend a meet. :)

Buy a plane ticket and go to one of the bigger regional meets or a CanJam. You'll get to hear everything. Not only that, but you'll get to hang out with a bunch of Head-Fi'ers. You'll learn more talking to an experienced member for 15 minutes than reading hundreds of posts. Then there's the eating and drinking part.

You'll get a much better idea of what you like, make some friends and will have a blast. Meets are, unquestionably, the best part of Head-Fi. Newcomers are very welcome. Make some time and get to a meet!

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 11
Armaegis, several of the cans you have on that list are also on my short list.  I am really taking a hard look at picking up a set of HD555, AKG 240S and sr80i.  However I have been reading countless threads now that compare the sr80i and the ms1 and I have to say that I am pretty torn between these now.  From my reading it sounds like the sr80i have more bass and have more of the aggression that Grado is known for but the ms1 is more refined and really is in fact a sr125i that has had some slight touch ups.  If this were true than it would be hard not to go with the ms1.

Uncle Erik, I love your idea on this however I can see only one flaw.  I am not sure how most find equipment that they like but for me I have found that I need a pretty good amount of time at home listening before I really determine if I like a particular sound.  I have traded some equipment and auditioned equipment with friends and at shops but never really get the full picture until I get it home and listen it using the material that I truly know.  Does that make sense?  I definitely want to attend meets (unfortunately it doesn't seem like there are many in the Pittsburgh, PA area) and can-jams in the future and become more active at head-fi in general in the future, that is for sure!!  For now though I am just hoping to broaden my horizons a bit. Out of curiosity, is there any type of beginners guide that speaks to makes, models and sound characteristics anywhere at head-fi?  If there is I have not found it but think that it would be a great read for beginners.

Anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

-Chris

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 11
Grab the Senn 555 and do the 595 mod (just do a google search). You can easily find a 555 for under $100

I preferred the MS1 over the SR80, but the differences are tiny. If you live in the US the prices are the same. If you live anywhere else, the MS1 is the cheaper option. Modding is also pretty easy, and there are a ton of threads for this as well. I recommend a bit of damping on the back of the driver and button (I used hot glue). Look up Bilavideo's huge SR60-mod thread.

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 11
The Hd555 mod is something that I am definitely planning to do, although I will listen to them stock for awhile so I can get a feel for the changes.  I think I am leaning towards the ms1 now as well.  So right now I am looking to pick up three new sets of cans...

-HD555
-AKG K240S
-Alessandro MS1

Each of these can be found brand new for under $100 and should provide a wide variety of listening experiences along with the beyers that I currently have. Any more input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-Chris 

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #9 of 11
That's a pretty good sampler to start, and they all have pretty obvious upgrade paths. For the Senns, the affordable option is to get a 580 and purchase the 600 grills and 650 cable. For AKG, I highly recomment looking into a vintage Sextett (which is anywhere from $100-200 depending on condition). For Grado, the HF-2 is one of the most popular choices, and the Symphones Magnum upgrade is gaining popularity too, which is sort of a two-stage upgrade depending how you do it.

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
I've got an even better recommendation. Use some of that money to attend a meet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Buy a plane ticket and go to one of the bigger regional meets or a CanJam. You'll get to hear everything. Not only that, but you'll get to hang out with a bunch of Head-Fi'ers. You'll learn more talking to an experienced member for 15 minutes than reading hundreds of posts. Then there's the eating and drinking part.

You'll get a much better idea of what you like, make some friends and will have a blast. Meets are, unquestionably, the best part of Head-Fi. Newcomers are very welcome. Make some time and get to a meet!

I'm not sure if going to a meet will be productive for someone who hasn't heard very many headphones. I have to say before this summer, having only been exposed to AD700s, SR60s, and RX700s (and some very brief time with DT880/03s, K501s, and HD580s) I had very little idea what I really wanted in a pair of headphones. Now that I've gone through many more pairs of headphones and done enough flip-flopping between cans that I couldn't habituate too much to the sound, I know much better what I'm looking for. Now I can try out a headphone for maybe a couple of hours and decide if it's for me or not. The FS forums here are IMO the best place for a newbie to learn - buy something cheap, listen to it for a while, then put it back on the FS forums, losing just your shipping costs. My total losses, after going through several expensive sets of headphones, don't even break $50, and I've heard headphones from almost every major manufacturer.

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 11
Welp I have taken my first steps towards my goal here.  I am now waiting on delivery of a set of MS1i and a set of HD555.  I also ended up reading every page of the "post your grado mod" thread the sr60 mods thread as well and I have to say that I think I am going to have alot of fun with the MS1i.  I am also planning to do the foam mod on the HD555.  I am still unsure of where to go from that point however.  I seriously been considering the AKG K240s but I am also somewhat interested in the Fostex T50rp though.  At the same time I am pretty excited in this alessandros and if I really like the sound stock then I might just concentrate on moding them out, maybe even picking up a set of the jumbo mushroom woodies from jmoney. 

At any rate even with the phones that I have along with the MS1i and the HD555 I think I should at least be able to start fiiguring out which direction that I want to go and what sound I like.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back