Post your Photography Here!
May 5, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #166 of 1,784
Quote:

Spend an extra $150 for Lumix? Uhhhh... nah, $350 is more than I'd want to spend on a camera I'd beat to death when I'm not using an SLR. The biggest problems I have with most point and shoots is that image stabilization is still a premium, although it is fast becoming a standard in P&S cameras, and being able to shoot as fast as my current camera (withiout delays between bursts)is pretty much impossible right now. My old Z1 was pretty interesting though- it could do ten frame bursts, but I could only fit some 150 shots at 3.2mp resolution, and there was a lengthy delay before the camera was ready to shoot again. It also had an AF system that was prone to messing up and really slow, since the mechanical drive was outdated.

Anyway, I saw a Rollei that made me laugh my ass off, I know a brother of mine would love it on nostalgia factor alone:
http://www.adorama.com/RLRMDC.html

A Twin Lens Reflex digital camera! Fantastic! I wonder what kind of shots it takes...

But alas, all this talk of camera purchases is a downer, since I have no budget for such photographic extravagance
biggrin.gif

580smile.gif
Abe

May 5, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #167 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
The Oregon gang may need to consider a photoraphy meet too at this rate...

While having a DSLR makes it easier for me to take good pictures, it does not make me any better of a photgrapher (aside from more ways to experiment). In the process I have learned quite a bit, had some fun, and now I find myself wanting a nice small point-and-shoot for the sake of just having a camera with me more often.

Go figure.
smily_headphones1.gif

I hate to put it this way, ............... DITTO!!!
And while I'm here, I might as well post a little version of a shot I got the other night. I kinda liked this one.
IMG_0006_copy.jpg

May 5, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #168 of 1,784
That's a crazy good shot, PD! Please repost it at a higher resolution when you can. The lighting is awesome on it. Anyway, I was messing around again and used Picture Project to do this, although the sharpness boost increased the graniness somewhat:
flowerpictureprojecttest9um.jpg

580smile.gif
Abe

May 5, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #169 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
I hate to put it this way, ............... DITTO!!!
And while I'm here, I might as well post a little version of a shot I got the other night. I kinda liked this one.

Wow... perfect timing on that one
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #170 of 1,784
Since you guys are going all flowers on me...

Here is a picture from yet, another one of my hobbies...Gardening!~ Yes, that is MY flower bed that I have taken care and they are MY flowers...I got Mr. Miyagi's (from the "Karate Kid") green thumbs: "I was HEAVILY influenced by the EPCOT flower show".

Since we are talking Botany, here are some pictures from Walt Disney World EPCOT Center's 'International Flower & Garden Festival'
{Don't you just LOVE those natural colors mother nature generates?}

May 5, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #171 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir
There are a lot of impressive photos here. Great stuff. Kinda makes me want to get a better camera.

It's not the equipment at all. I've seen amazing pictures from home-made pin-holes and $50 plastic Lomo cameras. All of the pictures I've posted in this thread are with a regular Casio point and shoot digital. Some of my favorite images that I've taken are with a 1970's Land A Polaroid that I got off eBay for $60.

But then my philosophy on photography is that I don't crop (the picture should have been properly framed in the first place), I don't photo manipulate (anybody can make a picture look much cooler with photoshop), I don't generally take pictures of monuments (the picture is cool because the subject is cool, also every other person with a camera has the same picture...this unless the way the picture is taken transcends the subject itself). To me, some of the most successful images are those that make the meaningless meaningful.

What I would suggest focusing on (no pun intended) is composition, interpretation, context, graphical and/or painterly approach, unique vision, and luck (got to be at the right place at the right time with the right weather/lighting...most of this stuff is pretty ephemeral). Most importantly have fun with it and don't be afraid to take a bad shot, often only a single worthwhile picture result from a whole roll of film. I guess I'm personally more interested in photography as an art medium rather than wallow in the technical aspects of the camera.

That being said, I'm actually going to pick up a Nikon D50 sometimes this year. My GF lost my Casio and I'm tired of using film on my Nikon 8008s since I don't get to the dark room so I don't get to appreciate the pictures that were taken.

May 6, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #173 of 1,784
Man I've been busy with photography since I last visited this thread. A couple months ago I was lucky to be in Yosemite right as a snowstorm was clearing - truly one of the most amazing things I've ever seen

Here are a couple shots from it.

IMG_3063bw_1.jpg

IMG_3091bw.jpg

IMG_3143bwcrop.jpg

I'm also working on a small project that I'll mainly just share with friends and family - a photo book of shots of the bay area throughout 2006. A few shots from that:

HeadlandsGGd121.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

And I've still got 8 months to go...

web.mac.com/adamp88 - In case anyone wants to check out some more of my stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #174 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88
Man I've been busy with photography since I last visited this thread.

That's amazingly beautiful work Adam. I see from your site that you are an amature, but this is all truly professional caliber stuff. Have you ever considered making a living doing it full time?

May 6, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #175 of 1,784
Thanks for the kind words, Oski. I'm starting very slowly along that road (a few sales here and there, putting together a portfolio to maybe get in a gallery), though making a living off of photography is an extremely difficult thing to do. I'd be quite happy to have it as a second income, though.

May 6, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #176 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88
Thanks for the kind words, Oski.

I would like to also say that those are some of the finest images of the Bay Area I have seen in the 30+ years I've been into photography and imaging, especially those of the bridge and beachwalk. If I may make a suggestion, carry a couple of the better ones with you, framed into a restaurant of your choice. Have them display them on consignment and watch them sell
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back