Post your Photography Here!
Apr 10, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #991 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at the Kodak website. their "z" series are two to three hundred dollars, loaded with features and very reliable. I've been shooting with an older Z7590 for about 3 years and love it.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...requestid=6416

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't recommend Kodak cameras to my worst enemy. Yes, there are some people who have bought a Kodak camera and never had a problem with it over the years, but I would say that about 85% of the Kodak owners out there are having problems with them.

I see them come in our store all the time (at least 10-15 a week!). Either the sensor is prematurely dead, the camera won't accept ANY batteries (thinking that even brand new batteries are dead), or just locks up for no apparent reason whatsoever. And then you have the loading docks... Don't even get me started on those things. It's a real shame too, because when the cameras work, they take a pretty decent picture.

Please, if you take any advice on these pages, at least stay away from those Kodak cameras. It's not worth spending $300-400 on one of them just to possibly have it go bad on you in a couple of months.

Apr 10, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #992 of 1,784
insanelonglegs3-1.jpg

Apr 10, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #994 of 1,784
BTW, anybody else having problems with imageshack?? It is far tooooo slow and half of the time (or more) it doesn't work AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #995 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, anybody else having problems with imageshack?? It is far tooooo slow and half of the time (or more) it doesn't work AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

I discourage people from using imageshack anyhow because of their history of 1) using popups and 2) modifying those ads over time to bypass popup blockers and make life miserable.
rolleyes.gif
There are plenty of better ways to host your images.

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #996 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I discourage people from using imageshack anyhow because of their history of 1) using popups and 2) modifying those ads over time to bypass popup blockers and make life miserable.
rolleyes.gif
There are plenty of better ways to host your images.

Such as...?

Apr 10, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #999 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoValidTitle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly how tight is your budget? Do you have an idea of what you want to spend?

Right now I don't really have a budget with numbers, as my budget will just reflect how long I'll be working (nearly) solely to raise money for the camera. The less time, the less money, the better. Anyway, my friend has a couple Nikkor lenses, so I suppose going Nikon would be cheapest for now. Thanks for the idea, Jason. i believe the Nikon D40 is their cheapest DSLR, correct? I've checked eBay, and I could get the body for about $400. jmmtn4aj, you say AIS lenses work on your D50? I assume it's the same for the D40. The only differences between AIS lenses and AF lenses is the fact that AIS lenses don't auto focus, the price, and I suppose there's probably slightly quality differences due to the fact that they're just different lenses. If this is the case, wouldn't buying a D40 body and an AIS lens be cheaper? Or perhaps buying a D40 with the lens kit then selling the AF lens and buying an AIS lens would be even cheaper, yet a longer process. Right now I'd rather not have an auto focus feature, so that sounds golden to me.

Anyway, nearly this whole post was made up of assumptions, so please correct me anywhere or everywhere I'm wrong.

Edit: I was thinking of stealing post 1000 in this thread, but I'll leave it to someone who has a brilliant set of pictures they'd like to share.
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #1,000 of 1,784
It's very easy to take wonderful pictures in Venice.

Venice_Gondolas_and_boats_001.jpg

Venice_Canals_022.jpg

Venice_Canals_001.jpg

St_Marks_Square_021.jpg

Burano_006.jpg

We were there in the fall when they have floods. The day after we left 80% of the city was under water.

St_Marks_Square_004.jpg

St_Marks_Square_002.jpg

This pictures is a flat mosaic. It's even more impressive in person that in this picture.
Edit: obviously the columns stick out a little but the ceiling is flat.
Venice_Churches_008.jpg

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #1,003 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I don't really have a budget with numbers, as my budget will just reflect how long I'll be working (nearly) solely to raise money for the camera. The less time, the less money, the better. Anyway, my friend has a couple Nikkor lenses, so I suppose going Nikon would be cheapest for now. Thanks for the idea, Jason. i believe the Nikon D40 is their cheapest DSLR, correct? I've checked eBay, and I could get the body for about $400. jmmtn4aj, you say AIS lenses work on your D50? I assume it's the same for the D40. The only differences between AIS lenses and AF lenses is the fact that AIS lenses don't auto focus, the price, and I suppose there's probably slightly quality differences due to the fact that they're just different lenses. If this is the case, wouldn't buying a D40 body and an AIS lens be cheaper? Or perhaps buying a D40 with the lens kit then selling the AF lens and buying an AIS lens would be even cheaper, yet a longer process. Right now I'd rather not have an auto focus feature, so that sounds golden to me.

Anyway, nearly this whole post was made up of assumptions, so please correct me anywhere or everywhere I'm wrong.

Edit: I was thinking of stealing post 1000 in this thread, but I'll leave it to someone who has a brilliant set of pictures they'd like to share.
tongue.gif

I have a D100. I went with Nikon for the same reason, I already had a bunch of lenses. Manual focus is not real easy with manual lenses in digital cameras. There's a current thread discussing it. I've slowly gotten rid of all of my manual focus lenses. I remember that there were some features of the camera that didn't work with manual lenses, but I can't remember what.

When you buy your first camera, try to get one where all exposure settings can be done manually. You'll learn a lot faster keeping it out of any auto settings.

Edit: I found it on Nikon's web site and it's a killer, you can't use the in camera meter with manual lenses.
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...i=&p_topview=1

My suggestion is to buy a body and lens and just work with that. It's best not to go too overboard with equipment when you're first leaning anyway.

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #1,004 of 1,784
Ah, yes. Well I've looked, and haven't even found listings of used D40's. It's hard to come up with a budget when I don't really have one
tongue.gif
. The less amount of money the better. I don't even currently have the money, but will soon. After being here for so long, I know budgets aren't final, but usually give an idea of a little less than what someone will end up spending. I don't really have anything else to spend my future money on, besides saving, so my budget could be endless. I'd really just like to spend as little as possible, but if an upgrade over the minimum is highly recommended, please tell why.

Sorry I can't come up with a defined number, but it's probably due to my lack of knowledge on the subject and unfortunate laziness/the fact that I'm still reading Understanding Exposure. I'll just say that I'd rather not pay more than $500, but unfortunately, I can see myself doing so.

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #1,005 of 1,784
Not more than 500 for a body and a lens? ..you can go for a used D50 for <500, and the 18-55mm DX II (d40 kit lens), or just grab a 50mm 1.8D, it should be well within 500, maybe a little more. Then again you still need to get a holster at least, a mem card....yada yada....all I can say is, this is not a cheap hobby as far as start up cost is concerned, be prepared
wink.gif
It's not the wisest decision to jump on a used D40 if you want to get the most out of your money in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back