Post your Photography Here!
Apr 9, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #961 of 1,784
BTW, I'm building up a gallery of photos on my site that will be ever-growing as time goes on. Check it out as there a quite a few more pics there than what I posted above.
wink.gif

Chops Gallery

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #962 of 1,784
These are from Saturday the 7th. Guess the location.
tongue.gif
Really a beautiful place btw, I was very impressed.

brk-x1.jpg

brk-x2.jpg

brk-x3.jpg

brk-x4.jpg

brk-x5.jpg

For comparison, this is where I got my education. Beautiful in a different way.
wink.gif

18448851.DCP_7724R.jpg

Apr 10, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #963 of 1,784
Just to let you guys know, this thread has inspired me to get into photography. I've recently acquired Understanding Exposure and I'm nearly done reading it. My friend is taking a photography class at school, and he taught me the basics of using a manual film camera. However, I find that a digital camera will be miles ahead of film in terms of convenience for me. I have yet to actually take any pictures, so I expect a ton of trial & error initially. Plus, digital storage just sounds so much better to me. Anyway, I know digital is quite a bit more expensive, and I'm currently completely broke. I'm looking to get a job right after spring break (which is this week), so in about a month or so I ought to have enough money for a budget camera system. I've done a little research and have a bit of an idea of my options, but what do you guys recommend I get on a very tight budget?

Jeez, this place is horrible for my wallet.

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #965 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to let you guys know, this thread has inspired me to get into photography. I've recently acquired Understanding Exposure and I'm nearly done reading it. My friend is taking a photography class at school, and he taught me the basics of using a manual film camera. However, I find that a digital camera will be miles ahead of film in terms of convenience for me. I have yet to actually take any pictures, so I expect a ton of trial & error initially. Plus, digital storage just sounds so much better to me. Anyway, I know digital is quite a bit more expensive, and I'm currently completely broke. I'm looking to get a job right after spring break (which is this week), so in about a month or so I ought to have enough money for a budget camera system. I've done a little research and have a bit of an idea of my options, but what do you guys recommend I get on a very tight budget?

Understanding Exposure is a great book, I've read it myself. Exactly how tight is your budget? Do you have an idea of what you want to spend?

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #966 of 1,784
The main thing with DSLRs is that you'll grow addicted to wanting more lenses....it's worst then headphones
biggrin.gif
If you're looking for a good budget DSLR, it looks like several people here are giving the Olympus E500 high praises. I'd go ahead and just stick with a kit lens now so that you first are just focusing on the basics of manual control (metering and exposure). I'm very new to automatic DSLRs, but am finding it's not that much different then using my old manual SLR. The only concepts that start getting compounded with automatic DSLRs is autofocus and white balance.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Evolt-...6209953&sr=8-2

But if you're really on a budget now, and you have a friend who's taking photography classes, they must have access to a darkroom. If it's a school darkroom, they may allow you to use the darkroom as well. Used manual SLRs are very cheap these days. The best way to learn about photography is doing your own B&W shooting/developing.

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #967 of 1,784
Quote:

In the long run digital will end up being cheaper once you factor out all those printing costs. You'll also learn much faster as you can view the results immediately. With film you also wouldn't be able to shoot experimental shots to test your settings on site.. unless you carry a portable darkroom around with you.

Personally I never really got into photography until I got a DSLR. Like other hobbies such as playing the guitar, your interest is tied heavily to how good your equipment feels to you. Buy a camera that feels horrible or cheap in your hands and you won't be motivated to bring it out and shoot stuff. On a budget I'd recommend a Nikon D40X. It's a great starter DSLR and like all of Nikon's DSLRs, has excellent build quality so it feels extremely solid. If you can stretch that, the D50 (discontinued) and D70(S) offer more features for a little increase in price.

Of course, that's just a place to start looking. What you should buy is whatever feels to best to you in terms of how intuitive the controls are, and how it feels when you hold it or shoot with it.

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #968 of 1,784
Does anyone know of an online place that does good custom prints? None of my crops are a standard size like 5x7 or 8x10. I'd like to get them printed then I will have them framed at a frame shop.

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #970 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoValidTitle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of an online place that does good custom prints? None of my crops are a standard size like 5x7 or 8x10. I'd like to get them printed then I will have them framed at a frame shop.

mpix, owned by Miller's is the best online lab in the country in my professional opinion. Register at http://www.mpix.com

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #971 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the long run digital will end up being cheaper once you factor out all those printing costs. You'll also learn much faster as you can view the results immediately. With film you also wouldn't be able to shoot experimental shots to test your settings on site.. unless you carry a portable darkroom around with you.

Just to play devils advocate, but if you have any curiosity in photo development, learning it in college is the time to do it! A lot of universities have darkrooms that are available to all registered students. It winds up being very cheap as all you have to supply is your paper. Some schools may make you pay a small fee for using their chemicals, but the costs are much cheaper then renting dark room time from a photo store.

I also think that B&W is a great start as it teaches you about tonal range: a concept that's foriegn to people who may not have had any art classes before. It's very hands on in figuring out what optimal exposure gives you both value and contrast. Sure, it can sometimes feel like a pain...and now that I have a really nice digital camera and Photoshop, I can do a lot more then with a darkroom....but there is something magical about doing it all by hand
icon10.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #972 of 1,784
Quote:

I've done a little research and have a bit of an idea of my options, but what do you guys recommend I get on a very tight budget?

Buy used. Buy what your friends have so you can borrow lenses.
biggrin.gif

Oh, I also agree. If I were still in college, I would have loved to try film.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 10, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #973 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to play devils advocate, but if you have any curiosity in photo development, learning it in college is the time to do it! A lot of universities have darkrooms that are available to all registered students. It winds up being very cheap as all you have to supply is your paper. Some schools may make you pay a small fee for using their chemicals, but the costs are much cheaper then renting dark room time from a photo store.

I also think that B&W is a great start as it teaches you about tonal range: a concept that's foriegn to people who may not have had any art classes before. It's very hands on in figuring out what optimal exposure gives you both value and contrast. Sure, it can sometimes feel like a pain...and now that I have a really nice digital camera and Photoshop, I can do a lot more then with a darkroom....but there is something magical about doing it all by hand
icon10.gif

I agree on that. There is no better way in learning photography by starting with film and especially B&W because you can't relie on a screen and you really have to think about what you do.
And if you truly know how to measure light, there is no need for testing..you just know what you are gonna get.

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #974 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree on that. There is no better way in learning photography by starting with film and especially B&W because you can't relie on a screen and you really have to think about what you do.
And if you truly know how to measure light, there is no need for testing..you just know what you are gonna get.

Well, I've learned how to properly estimate while using old AIS lenses with the D50 (non CPU so the camera's metering doesn't work), but I would've have with film due to the trouble and wait of developing prints. Don't have a university lab to borrow either. Then again, I was never interested in cameras until digital cameras came out, and it was the technology behind them that attracted me. To each his own I guess
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #975 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Plus you have great masters and teachers to guide you! 150 years of traditional film based photography vs 10 years of digital
biggrin.gif
I'd recommend the Ansel Adams books to read while learning B&W. Adam's zone system is really an invaluable way to get the best highlights and shadows in a full tonal image. I think he would have really loved digital photography, as you can do so much more with development.

oh...also as a tip about doing B&W and well spot metered color: I find it's easier to judge the tonal the values of objects by squinting. When you just see a haze, it's easier to pick out your strongest highlights vs shadows vs mid tones. Spot metering your midtones is the best way to find the best exposure IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back