Post Your Photography Here #2
Apr 17, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #7,771 of 15,743
Finally, glad to have a dry day to walk around. Playing around with a Takumar 28mm, which I bought for a film camera, but am using adapted on my XSi at the moment.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #7,772 of 15,743
Quote:
Really nice James, especially the first one

Quote:
I actually really like the last one.

Quote:
I actually think there were a lot of good stuff here, from Red, Mr.M and J.

Thx everyone for your kind words
smile_phones.gif

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #7,773 of 15,743
Very nice shots devwild.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #7,775 of 15,743
Quote:

Very summer-y, warm colours.   I like the blend of textures and texture.

Quote:
^^ really dig the above three shots. Natural and cool and remind me of... somehow... my childhood!

Me, getting ready to hit the bus/train to pick up wife from airport.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5185/5618128789_1a9f28dc2b_b.jpg

Weird bokeh on second shot is just what happens in overexposed areas in broad light with the 1,2 Nikkor. I thought it was some problem when uploading from Lightroom to flickr. Not the case, it seems.

Interesting expression you have on your face :D  I want a 1.2 Noct too...

Quote:

Absolutely gorgeous.  WooAudio are lucky to have found you.  Well done.  I hope you were suitably 'remunerated'. :p  Just one comment.  Could the lighting be altered so as to lighten up the shadows, especially on the black-finish WA22.

Quote:
http://assets.head-fi.org/1/16/1000x500px-LL-16a91638_P1130791.JPG

Nothing too spectacular -just an interesting combination of glass, water, and reflections.

You're too modest.  The last one is stunning.  I take it you shoot film?  There's a real film-like colour cast to your photos.

Quote:

Another analog maestro? :p  Beautiful promenade.  Where is this?

@devwild
The Takumar is a puurty lens isn't it.  In the right hands it looks like a pretty decent lens too :) 

EDIT: ok I give up quoting links.  it looks butt ugly and was time-consuming to do.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #7,776 of 15,743

X-03SE disc tray - FM2n, 50/1.4D, Portra 400H

Red crab steamed in chicken oil & Shaoxing wine - FM2n, 50/1.4D, Portra 400H

Geese being air-dried in a back alley before roasting - D300, 50/1.4D, ISO500

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #7,778 of 15,743

Quote:
@devwild
The Takumar is a puurty lens isn't it.  In the right hands it looks like a pretty decent lens too :)

I love the lens build of the older super takumar and rikenon lenses with the scalloped focus rings and such, they work really smoothly too. I've been playing with a few because a friend of mine is much more into the older cameras and lenses. The 28mm I picked up myself off ebay because it's a prime I wanted to play with on film, and is a good 35mm-ish on crop sensors. They are pretty cheap, so no big loss if the lens isn't perfect.

This lens is a little lower contrast, but that actually proved beneficial for digital RAW - it provided an increased dynamic range (didn't blow out the sky and such), and responds really well to basic treatments in photoshop (like tonal contrast, particularly on the ship shot) without increased noise and such. The lens seems good and sharp at f/8, and I like the hyperfocus marks so you can easily "set and forget" for street photography - more modern high end and prime lenses should have that, it's a simple but useful reference.

I just wish I could justify a split focus viewfinder for my XSi - modern viewfinders are a pain for manual focus photography, and the AF confirm lights aren't reliable or terribly accurate with older lenses (or even some modern ones). Live view is a reasonable substitute on a tripod, but not so much handheld.

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #7,779 of 15,743
Quote:
Quote:
james444 said:

Another analog maestro? :p  Beautiful promenade.  Where is this?

No, that's actually just my P&S Fuji F300EXR in pixel binning mode and a tiny bit of cheating (tonal range editing). The promenade belongs to Vienna's Schönbrunn Palace and Gardens, a famous tourist attraction. Later in the day it's packed with people, but I'm cutting across very early on my daily commute, when there's no one else around but a few joggers and squirrels.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #7,784 of 15,743
Quote:

No, that's actually just my P&S Fuji F300EXR in pixel binning mode and a tiny bit of cheating (tonal range editing). The promenade belongs to Vienna's Schönbrunn Palace and Gardens, a famous tourist attraction. Later in the day it's packed with people, but I'm cutting across very early on my daily commute, when there's no one else around but a few joggers and squirrels.

http://assets.head-fi.org/a/aa/884x376px-LL-aa4bfdbb_DSCF2134c_884.jpg

Really?!  Well captured and processed.  At this resolution, you'd have everyone fooled if you said you used a DSLR.  Your pictures have a very natural look to it as if viewed through one's own two eyes.

Quote:
Just like to share some of the cornerstone images that are crowning my new website: http://www.lyricalmoments.com  Remember to click on "Share Site" top right hand corner if you like this! :)

http://assets.head-fi.org/2/20/1000x500px-LL-201b3131_SC645.jpg

http://assets.head-fi.org/4/41/1000x500px-LL-412b7d00_SC686.jpg

http://assets.head-fi.org/3/38/1000x500px-LL-384c420a_SC625.jpg

Tasteful artwork/photography.  Love the pastel-like colours.  Is it a bit of HDR/topaz?  Looks very professional.  There are so many great photogs around here, all with their different styles.  I have a lot of watching and learning to do. 

Quote:
I love the lens build of the older super takumar and rikenon lenses with the scalloped focus rings and such, they work really smoothly too. I've been playing with a few because a friend of mine is much more into the older cameras and lenses. The 28mm I picked up myself off ebay because it's a prime I wanted to play with on film, and is a good 35mm-ish on crop sensors. They are pretty cheap, so no big loss if the lens isn't perfect.

This lens is a little lower contrast, but that actually proved beneficial for digital RAW - it provided an increased dynamic range (didn't blow out the sky and such), and responds really well to basic treatments in photoshop (like tonal contrast, particularly on the ship shot) without increased noise and such. The lens seems good and sharp at f/8, and I like the hyperfocus marks so you can easily "set and forget" for street photography - more modern high end and prime lenses should have that, it's a simple but useful reference.

I just wish I could justify a split focus viewfinder for my XSi - modern viewfinders are a pain for manual focus photography, and the AF confirm lights aren't reliable or terribly accurate with older lenses (or even some modern ones). Live view is a reasonable substitute on a tripod, but not so much handheld.

I had a look on the web and yes they're very nice-looking bits of kit.  I'm glad they're good image makers too.  As with all many lenses from that era, their imperfections may actually be intentionally left (either due to design or lack off
tongue_smile.gif
), and IMHO imparts a certain vintage character to the photos.  For example, I love how Nikon AI(-S) lenses look.  Plus, they all have hyperfocal markings which are missing or inadequate in many newer AF primes.  Annoying really, but there you go.  Most people don't even know what hyperfocal means anymore.  I'm shooting AF-D lenses on a manual focus FM2n atm which isn't ideal.  The MF mechanism on the AF-D primes are pretty imprecise, unfortunately.  Fortunately, they do come with a useful set of hyperfocal markings
beerchug.gif

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #7,785 of 15,743
I have only one AiS lens now, the 50 1,2. Of course, I love it. My other often-used lens is the 20mm 2,8 AF-D. Its focus isn't as precise, but it is very very good, though surely belying the price, which is high. I have no complaints at all with the AF-D's that I've owned, borrowed, and used. They look cheap in comparison, of course, but the AiS lenses are pretty much legends. I am eyeing a 35 1,4 AiS for next year's acquisition as in Japan, a good copy can be obtained used for just less than 500$. The 50 is always on my D200, and while its focal length on DX is kind of weird, I make do. I hope you can get a setup that you feel is optimal and we look forward to more pictures.

Quote:
Really?!  Well captured and processed.  At this resolution, you'd have everyone fooled if you said you used a DSLR.  Your pictures have a very natural look to it as if viewed through one's own two eyes.

Tasteful artwork/photography.  Love the pastel-like colours.  Is it a bit of HDR/topaz?  Looks very professional.  There are so many great photogs around here, all with their different styles.  I have a lot of watching and learning to do. 

I had a look on the web and yes they're very nice-looking bits of kit.  I'm glad they're good image makers too.  As with all many lenses from that era, their imperfections may actually be intentionally left (either due to design or lack off
tongue_smile.gif
), and IMHO imparts a certain vintage character to the photos.  For example, I love how Nikon AI(-S) lenses look.  Plus, they all have hyperfocal markings which are missing or inadequate in many newer AF primes.  Annoying really, but there you go.  Most people don't even know what hyperfocal means anymore.  I'm shooting AF-D lenses on a manual focus FM2n atm which isn't ideal.  The MF mechanism on the AF-D primes are pretty imprecise, unfortunately.  Fortunately, they do come with a useful set of hyperfocal markings
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back