Post Your Photography Here #2
Jan 11, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #11,750 of 15,743

Frosty window

About a 10 minute walk from where I live is Hillefors grynkvarn (Hillefors grain mill) located.It was built in 1800.... something and it's a great place for photography. When I opened one of the doors this cold morning I saw this. The frosty old window and the rusty barrel looked beautiful in the morning light.

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #11,753 of 15,743

I think he was going for more negative space in the picture. It takes away emphasis from the couple, but gives the viewer a better window into their world at the moment...ambience. Sort of like this more extreme example below:

Ah, good to know.  Definitely an interesting composition.  

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #11,754 of 15,743
Blue

11895949503_7e08c39903_z.jpg

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #11,758 of 15,743
  Trying to use my iPhone as my flashlight... help? xD

I use my SGS3 as a focusing guide in very dark indoor situations (my Olympus E-P2 has no focusing beam) using the Flashlight app - I point it at the focal point, focus with the cam with metering set to either Center or Spot - Highlight and exposure set to -1, then just press the shutter. I've taken group shots inside pubs (the ones with live bands playing so there is barely any light apart from the stage and the bar itself) and they all come out fine. Not as perfect as with a flash, but this damn camera makes me choose between an EVF and a speedlight, and even with the latter on it I'd still need a flashlight to help the AF.

Were you using a flashlight app or just the screen?

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #11,759 of 15,743

I use my SGS3 as a focusing guide in very dark indoor situations (my Olympus E-P2 has no focusing beam) using the Flashlight app - I point it at the focal point, focus with the cam with metering set to either Center or Spot - Highlight and exposure set to -1, then just press the shutter. I've taken group shots inside pubs (the ones with live bands playing so there is barely any light apart from the stage and the bar itself) and they all come out fine. Not as perfect as with a flash, but this damn camera makes me choose between an EVF and a speedlight, and even with the latter on it I'd still need a flashlight to help the AF.

Were you using a flashlight app or just the screen?

Thanks for the tips! I was using the flashlight. iOS7 now allows you to turn it on without app xD 

Flashlight: Brighter but makes everything look very artificial. 
Screen light at max: Less bright but looks more natural; lights are spread evenly unlike flashlight which basically furthur = less bright making object closer to it look too bright or sometimes, fake. IMO 

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #11,760 of 15,743
  Flashlight: Brighter but makes everything look very artificial. 

It's really just desperate tool for me. When I need artificial lighting at home (like when I take photos of my gear), I just use a desklamp with some kind of what cloth wrapped on the shade to scatter the light and soften it. Once I just took a shirt from the laundry and used that, although at times I just use it to focus while my cam is on a tripod and I have it on manual exposure. That way I can set the shutter for long exposure and turn off the lights (as in even manual focus will be a pain dark) after focus is set. I then play around with the exposures, including the setting on teh CPL if I'm taking a photo of a screen, and when I merge them in HDR I can have a bright scene with the display looking close to normal.

Photo below was taken with just the lamp using a shirt on the shade, helping focus and adding a bit of illumination. Light was a little harsh on longer exposures, but what I did was to point the lamp at the wall at the two longer exposures (taken at -1.4, 0, +1, +1.6)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back