Post Your Photography Here #2
Aug 26, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #14,161 of 15,743

Great work. Secrets of White Room is a really powerful set (which equipment did you use?). The model looks at ease and natural. I love the contrast as well. There is a palpable chaos and disarray to the composition of the photographs. Reminds me of someone struggling with mental illness or at least that is my immediate impression. I will need some time to properly look through the rest, but if there was one area of critique I would give, just briefly looking through the sets, is that sometimes your subject (model) seems a bit stiff/awkward in the shot. I think Lucid Corridors seems those most obvious, but I am not sure if that was the intention perhaps? 

I really enjoyed putting Secrets of White Room together as well.  It was challenging to put all my ideas together and be able to combine it into a visual medium that conveys that story successfully, but I am quite happy with the result!  You are absolutely correct about the chaos and disarray in the photos, which I purposely used to contrast against the minimalist surroundings and the stark colours.  You can see a small description I wrote about this shoot here: http://www.artabout.it/secrets-of-white-room-by-charles-wong/

Secrets of White Room was shot entirely on my Sony A7 with a combination of the Zeiss 55mm and the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8, as well as a single studio strobe (PCB Einstein) through a softbox.  The files were extremely clean and sharp and other than ensuring the colour was consistent between shots, I did not edit them at all.  (The original A7 was not the best in terms of auto white balance)

Lucid Corridors was an interesting test shoot with a new model and new gear.  I wanted to test out the Leica M8 there, which is well known for its beautiful rendering for black and white output.  It was a cold day in early January - far colder than it was rational to dress up the way she did as it was 20 below zero, so we had to shoot in short stints.  Part of her expression and look was due to that, and perhaps I can attribute the other parts to my slow focusing of the rangefinder!  In portraiture, I consider photos that we take to be a mirror/reflection of the photographer.  I truly enjoy incorporating surreal elements into my photos, but when I look at my newer work, I can see that the photos look more candid and natural, even if they still incorporate a surreal and artistic look as before.  This is likely due to more familiarity with my gear, my models, and the workflow of a shoot and how to deal with unexpected circumstances (of which there are plenty, always!)

A big advantage of mirrorless is that the camera just dissappears.  I don't really care for large aperture lenses that can give me lots of bokeh, since I find bokeh distracting for my style of work, and just typically overused alot.  I consider it simply an effect of photography, and not a technique to shoot at large apertures.  For example, I much prefer the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 lens over the Zeiss 35mm f/1.4.  The larger lens did not help me take better photos, and I sold it right away.  Or, perhaps I like to shoot like a starving student 
cool.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #14,163 of 15,743

I really enjoyed putting Secrets of White Room together as well.  It was challenging to put all my ideas together and be able to combine it into a visual medium that conveys that story successfully, but I am quite happy with the result!  You are absolutely correct about the chaos and disarray in the photos, which I purposely used to contrast against the minimalist surroundings and the stark colours.  You can see a small description I wrote about this shoot here: http://www.artabout.it/secrets-of-white-room-by-charles-wong/

Secrets of White Room was shot entirely on my Sony A7 with a combination of the Zeiss 55mm and the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8, as well as a single studio strobe (PCB Einstein) through a softbox.  The files were extremely clean and sharp and other than ensuring the colour was consistent between shots, I did not edit them at all.  (The original A7 was not the best in terms of auto white balance)

Lucid Corridors was an interesting test shoot with a new model and new gear.  I wanted to test out the Leica M8 there, which is well known for its beautiful rendering for black and white output.  It was a cold day in early January - far colder than it was rational to dress up the way she did as it was 20 below zero, so we had to shoot in short stints.  Part of her expression and look was due to that, and perhaps I can attribute the other parts to my slow focusing of the rangefinder!  In portraiture, I consider photos that we take to be a mirror/reflection of the photographer.  I truly enjoy incorporating surreal elements into my photos, but when I look at my newer work, I can see that the photos look more candid and natural, even if they still incorporate a surreal and artistic look as before.  This is likely due to more familiarity with my gear, my models, and the workflow of a shoot and how to deal with unexpected circumstances (of which there are plenty, always!)

A big advantage of mirrorless is that the camera just dissappears.  I don't really care for large aperture lenses that can give me lots of bokeh, since I find bokeh distracting for my style of work, and just typically overused alot.  I consider it simply an effect of photography, and not a technique to shoot at large apertures.  For example, I much prefer the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 lens over the Zeiss 35mm f/1.4.  The larger lens did not help me take better photos, and I sold it right away.  Or, perhaps I like to shoot like a starving student 
cool.gif

That is even more impressive considering you did not edit those shots! . I also think the lack of post-processing is refreshing and everything is very clean, sharp and natural looking. I am so close to just pulling the trigger and getting the A7II not sure if I want to wait all that time until a new model is released though. 

Yes, I think one of the hardest things to do when photographing someone is getting them to be comfortable and natural around you. Back when I was in Poland I would carry my Zenit E (the russian brick as they called it) and I would just take pictures of different people and lots of pretty women 
wink.gif
. And trust me... There were lots. So majority of the time I would just meet a group of people in the city and we would go into cafes/clubs/apartments and I would try to kind of "shadow" them you can say (sounds creepy I know) and as the hours went by (and the drinks flowed) everything started to become more fluid and natural. I probably got some of my best shots like that... It came to a point where they no longer noticed my camera! 

I would go for the Zeiss 35mm 2.8 as well, bokeh can be really impressive but I tend to use them in only certain shots that really benefit from the use of it, otherwise I tend to stay away.  

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #14,164 of 15,743

That is even more impressive considering you did not edit those shots! . I also think the lack of post-processing is refreshing and everything is very clean, sharp and natural looking. I am so close to just pulling the trigger and getting the A7II not sure if I want to wait all that time until a new model is released though. 

Yes, I think one of the hardest things to do when photographing someone is getting them to be comfortable and natural around you. Back when I was in Poland I would carry my Zenit E (the russian brick as they called it) and I would just take pictures of different people and lots of pretty women 
wink.gif
. And trust me... There were lots. So majority of the time I would just meet a group of people in the city and we would go into cafes/clubs/apartments and I would try to kind of "shadow" them you can say (sounds creepy I know) and as the hours went by (and the drinks flowed) everything started to become more fluid and natural. I probably got some of my best shots like that... It came to a point where they no longer noticed my camera! 

I would go for the Zeiss 35mm 2.8 as well, bokeh can be really impressive but I tend to use them in only certain shots that really benefit from the use of it, otherwise I tend to stay away.  

If you could, I recommend waiting for Sony's announcements at Photokina on September 19th.  The A7 II is the next camera due for an update in the current lineup that also includes the A7R2 and A7S2, so I expect something to be announced soon.  Even if you decide you don't need the latest camera that Sony announces, this gives you an opportunity to pickup the older models for even less.  

For the A7, there is only one lens I love more than the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8, and it's the Loxia 35mm f/2.0  I have one and simply love it.  The lens is manual focus only, which is why I also have the 35mm f/2.8.  The fully manual operation and the beautiful rendering had me sold.  Even though you could edit your photos afterwards to give it a similar colouring and look, there is something very special about this lens.  It gives an old world vintage look that is timeless, but remains extremely sharp at the same time.  From what I read, this lens is based on the Zeiss 35mm f/2.0 ZM lens, but updated and improved for the A7.  

Something else to consider for mirrorless are the Fuji X cameras.  They are not full frame like the Sony and do not have cutting edge tech that Sony has, but the analog controls and the look of the files makes me use the Fuji quite alot.  The lenses are extremely sharp as well, and a good lineup of full-frame equivalent focal lengths are available.  Disadvantages: similar size to the Sony, but not full frame, no in-body stabilization, not ideal for using vintage manual focus lenses.

I don't know whereabouts in Canada you are, but if you are in Toronto, I'd be happy to show you my A7 and Fuji. 

Pretty women? I like that 
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #14,165 of 15,743

If you could, I recommend waiting for Sony's announcements at Photokina on September 19th.  The A7 II is the next camera due for an update in the current lineup that also includes the A7R2 and A7S2, so I expect something to be announced soon.  Even if you decide you don't need the latest camera that Sony announces, this gives you an opportunity to pickup the older models for even less.  

For the A7, there is only one lens I love more than the Zeiss 35mm f/2.8, and it's the Loxia 35mm f/2.0  I have one and simply love it.  The lens is manual focus only, which is why I also have the 35mm f/2.8.  The fully manual operation and the beautiful rendering had me sold.  Even though you could edit your photos afterwards to give it a similar colouring and look, there is something very special about this lens.  It gives an old world vintage look that is timeless, but remains extremely sharp at the same time.  From what I read, this lens is based on the Zeiss 35mm f/2.0 ZM lens, but updated and improved for the A7.  

Something else to consider for mirrorless are the Fuji X cameras.  They are not full frame like the Sony and do not have cutting edge tech that Sony has, but the analog controls and the look of the files makes me use the Fuji quite alot.  The lenses are extremely sharp as well, and a good lineup of full-frame equivalent focal lengths are available.  Disadvantages: similar size to the Sony, but not full frame, no in-body stabilization, not ideal for using vintage manual focus lenses.

I don't know whereabouts in Canada you are, but if you are in Toronto, I'd be happy to show you my A7 and Fuji. 

Pretty women? I like that 
wink.gif

I think I will wait it out and see what new goodies Sony comes out with before making a final decision. The Loxia 35mm sounds like a quality lens, if I end up with the Sony later this year I will be sure to look out for it. As for the Fuji X cameras, my friend has one I really enjoy the way the camera is built and how solid it feels. There is just so many options nowadays with cameras that sometimes it is just hard to choose. Thanks for the invite! I am not far from Toronto actually so when I am around that area I will PM you ahead of time and I can bring along some of my photo stuff like the Mamiya RZ67 medium format and some audio stuff if you are interested. I travel across the Atlantic frequently so I am never in one place too long... About my location, here is a pic, should be an easy one 
biggrin.gif

Sigma DP1

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #14,166 of 15,743

I think I will wait it out and see what new goodies Sony comes out with before making a final decision. The Loxia 35mm sounds like a quality lens, if I end up with the Sony later this year I will be sure to look out for it. As for the Fuji X cameras, my friend has one I really enjoy the way the camera is built and how solid it feels. There is just so many options nowadays with cameras that sometimes it is just hard to choose. Thanks for the invite! I am not far from Toronto actually so when I am around that area I will PM you ahead of time and I can bring along some of my photo stuff like the Mamiya RZ67 medium format and some audio stuff if you are interested. I travel across the Atlantic frequently so I am never in one place too long... About my location, here is a pic, should be an easy one 
biggrin.gif

Sigma DP1

Oh yes, I know where that is!  Medium Format camera?  I'd love to check that out.  Count me in for cameras and audio gear!  If you haven't listen to one, I have an electrostatic Koss ESP-950 that I'll bring too.

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #14,169 of 15,743
"A slightly different style of street photography"

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #14,170 of 15,743

Users who are viewing this thread

Back