Post Your Photography Here #2
Jul 9, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #8,221 of 15,766

Quote:

5918496278_0ef50338d4_o.jpg

This is a good contrasting subject.  2 Tiny girls and a much taller girl.  ^_^

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #8,222 of 15,766
Thank you. I didn't realise that when I shot. To tell you the truth, I was just trying to finally get an sharp shot. The 180 is a fantastic lens, but its ergonomics aren't great. I'll learn.

Japan is pretty crowded.

It's the most crowded place I've lived. The interesting thing is that I don't like crowds and don't like big cities. But, the way the Japanese cities are is much easier to enjoy than comparable Korean cities. The reason? Streets are smaller, cars are smaller, you see people.

In Korea, everyone is hidden behind a car, or you can barely see them across massive thoroughfares. I understand that Korean large cities were built with massive streets for airplanes in time of war. If they needed to land in emergency, they could. That is cool, but living there is hard.

People are the central pillar of a city. In Japan, because of the cramped places, you see people all the time. It is great because with people everywhere, you feel less isolated, less scared. Cars in big car-centric cities are freaking monsters. Korea is bad, China is bad, Toronto is bad. Some of Toronto is so bad that I carry an umbrella with me even on bright days to fend off cars that run red lights and nip at pedestrian's heals.

Living in Japan is nothing as bad as it looks precisely because there are people, not cars, not massive buildings that stretch to the sky, not signs or corporate dominance, everywhere. Those things, if you like them, are found in Korea, which unfortunately, looks like North America with Korean lettering on it. 

Like or dislike is simple idiosyncrasy. My country boy-ness that saw people and land, much prefers to see least something alive.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #8,223 of 15,766
I know Japan has some spectacular landscapes, but gee, the city you've photographed here... well... to put it nicely it looks so cramped and depressing. Chain fences, wire guards around the light bulbs, the spaghetti of cables overhead, house ontop of house ontop of house.

Japanese culture can be fun, but I wouldn't want to live in a place like that.

The photos being in Grayscale probably doesn't help my feeling either, making it look even more congested.

@ Towert7

I am totally at in remiss for not doing all the landscape photography where I am. I was really bad when I was invited to a special two day event and 100K was spent on just the extras. I kicked myself in the butt for not bringing my camera. I climbed a volcano last year and borrowed a girls camera to take pictures from the top. She never gave me the pictures.

The most happy photographers I guess take their cameras everywhere. I am stupid at times. Other times I just think that I photograph what I am to photograph. That may be an excuse for being lazy. All these feelings are our conscience reminding us to be the photographer that we are capable of. 

I feel Shigzeo is into what city life he photographs. He likes taking pictures of people. He likes the look of his images. I am going to into a city and just photograph everything. The poor, the trash. It may not be pretty but it is life. I think Shigzeo finds the city pretty!

Another time last week( when I didn't bring my camera ) I saw a 5 year old girl who was all of 3.5 feet tall helping her Mom work. Her Mom was working hauling 60lb tubs across town on her head and the girl was using a two foot knife to cut the strings on a just used container to get it ready for the next run. I think subjects like these are interesting for photography. It shows another culture. 

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #8,224 of 15,766

Quote:
@ Towert7

I am totally at in remiss for not doing all the landscape photography where I am. I was really bad when I was invited to a special two day event and 100K was spent on just the extras. I kicked myself in the butt for not bringing my camera. I climbed a volcano last year and borrowed a girls camera to take pictures from the top. She never gave me the pictures.

At times I've felt the same way, wishing I had my camera with me.  Sometimes it can be the most random day, but the right combination of weather and location would make for a nice photo.
The only thing that makes me feel any better is that I tell myself "at least I got to see it in person and enjoy it".  Which is true.

@shigzeo
That's an interesting point that I didn't really consider.  I think I'm still too much of a country person though.  If I'm not surrounded by grasslands or the water I feel out of place for some reason.
The 4 180mm photos look perfectly sharp.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #8,225 of 15,766
Towert:

I'll tell you that a camera really helps me cope. My home town (till 10, and later till 20) had 800 people in it when school wasn't in. Barley, grain, green, beautiful red tile roofs: amazing. When I moved to the USA and then to Canada, I lived in some large cities. The worst of them was Los Angeles. That place is an eye sore for the reason that you don't interact with people. People are scary. You have gangs, nasty pollution, lots of racism, a worthless transportation system, and a lot of very loud, very ignorant people.

We studied history from a fiction book. That is California. Outside the city, of course, it is wonderful. Inside, you live in a gate: house, to car, to building and then backwards. Disgusting. 

Toronto is better, but not by much. People still leave their houses to get into their cars, and the city is built up on a grid, which isn't natural. You have cars speeding, sidewalks 10-20 metres from the street and strip malls, massive car parks... it is Little California. Downtown (as always) is much much better, but it is still a grid, and inhuman.

I don't like cities. But, with a camera, I can focus on things. I can see stuff.

Again, I don't drive and have never owned a car. I bicycle. I can hear ducks quacking. I smell things both good and bad. I LIVE in the city. I don't ignore it. 

And that is the reason I like Japanese cities. Most aren't planned. The city, no matter how large (and the Tokyo metro area is the largest city (in terms of population) in the world), is very very human, very very organic. Streets go straight for a bit, then turn and dead end, or fizzle to metre-wide corridors where cars have to seesaw back and forth till one can go through. The entire time? you are looking at someone, asking them if you can go, or if they should go first. You can hear people talk. Cars drive slower. Bicycles abound. There are great swaths of organisation along rivers. 

People go outside to exercise, to meet, to buy. 

In North America, the city is a horrid streak. You get up, ignore the city, go to work, ignore the people at work, then go home, ignoring the city the entire time. When things are built like a square, you HAVE to do that. You fight humanely (as an organism) against inhuman, alien objects the entire time. You feel tired. 

The small city I live in now (a suburb of Kyoto) is rich with things to photograph, to eat, to buy, to smell, to do. I didn't like cities, and still don't feel comfortable. My two years in Seoul were like going back to North American high school: I had to watch my back as people are very pushy, motorcycles drive on the side walk, cars are given FREE reign of everything, and the city has largely been built on a modified grid. 

Of course, I am invested in Japan now, having just gotten my visa. So, I enjoy discovering things here. I was nothing in Korea and my wife was treated by her company like complete shyte. 

I think at the end of the day, it is your experiences, not only your upbringing, that determine what you can and cannot like where you are at. A city person moving to the country would be at a loss for a loooooong time. A lot of city people who move to the country suddenly get fat. What can they do? 

I love to bicycle through green fields and ride up mountains with my climbing tyres, but at the present, I have to make do with a plethora of unexpected life.

Jul 9, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #8,228 of 15,766
Quote:
I don't like cities. But, with a camera, I can focus on things. I can see stuff.

I like your stuff, doesn't matter whether it's depressing or beautiful, these pictures are always interesting. Random glimpses of a foreign culture I'm very unfamiliar with. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
And that is the reason I like Japanese cities. Most aren't planned.

I've seen cable spaghetti like this in Istanbul and some Italian places (sic!). Always makes me wonder how utility companies are still able to keep track of the mess and get their money.

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #8,229 of 15,766
I am sorry for what I did to the thread with my no-editing and such. As a peace offering, here's a Ferrari F40.
Brightness -10 / Contrast +3 - When shooting into the sun, ISO 64, F/8 and a one-inch screen does not help you determine over-exposure.

Aging CCD. Vignetting and purple-fringing artifacts are visible.

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #8,235 of 15,766
The mighty F40! First production car to break 3,0 seconds to 100k/mh! Sweet car. Ugly colour!

Quote:
I am sorry for what I did to the thread with my no-editing and such. As a peace offering, here's a Ferrari F40.
Brightness -10 / Contrast +3 - When shooting into the sun, ISO 64, F/8 and a one-inch screen does not help you determine over-exposure.

Aging CCD. Vignetting and purple-fringing artifacts are visible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back