Post Your Photography Here #2
Jul 30, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #2,416 of 15,770
Personally i think it works, it keeps your eyes GLUED on his! and doesn't push me out the frame... sometimes the rules can be bent.

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #2,417 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevDo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sometimes the rules can be bent.

I was going to respond with a similar comment.

I get a kick when people say you should take a picture a certain way. As if there is some mystical instruction manual for this thing we like to call photography. Variety is the spice of life.

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #2,418 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to respond with a similar comment.

I get a kick when people say you should take a picture a certain way. As if there is some mystical instruction manual for this thing we like to call photography. Variety is the spice of life.

Yep, no offense meant, just thought I'd chime in with some suggestions. I'm just saying that I suppose I'd like the photo better that way, but it's not to say that your picture is "incorrect".

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #2,419 of 15,770
No offence taken bperboy! Don't worry!

I do think i could have framed it slightly better.

But thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it.

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #2,420 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like the photo better that way, but it's not to say that your picture is "incorrect".

Just highlighting the fact that people like different things, nothing is set in stone as Towert said... Although i would prefer it that way too bperboy
tongue.gif

Nice picturethough Wil
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

I need to do a kind of self portrait for Facebook, maybe a little Artsy playing with light/levels as Kevdo does. Where do i start though? I need some lighting tutorials with simple ceiling light, natural light and in-built flash... Maybe a dark room with flash and natural light... All the windows are far too big though!

Matt

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #2,421 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to do a kind of self portrait for Facebook, maybe a little Artsy playing with light/levels as Kevdo does. Where do i start though?

Self-Portrait for social networking site? Hold camera at odd angle, use built in flash, make sure to over-expose every little detail in your face until only a blown-out blob is remaining, and post! Does the trick for every single profile I've every seen!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #2,422 of 15,770
hmmm, i took the shot of my dad with a totally black background. His face was only lighted via a single fluorescent kitchen light by his side. Perhaps you could try that Baines!

Or try some orange light for a warmer look.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #2,423 of 15,770
I was down in San Francisco this weekend after a business meeting on friday. It was the first time I've been down there, and despite bringing most of my photo gear, I ended up taking far more touristy shots than I had intended. Maybe next time
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #2,424 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was down in San Francisco this weekend after a business meeting on friday. It was the first time I've been down there, and despite bringing most of my photo gear, I ended up taking far more touristy shots than I had intended....

Nice, devwild. Are the wide shots using the Canon 10-22mm lens? I have that lens here, but haven't capped anything as nice as your shots with it yet.

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #2,425 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, devwild. Are the wide shots using the Canon 10-22mm lens? I have that lens here, but haven't capped anything as nice as your shots with it yet.

Close, it's actually the Sigma 10-20. It's easily my favorite lens of those I have, though I still have a lot to learn (always). It's particularly stunning with long exposures, which I want to try more of... I finally coughed up the money for a 77mm 10-stop ND filter before I left (I only had a 58mm), which is how I got the exposure of the cathedral/fountain.

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #2,426 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Close, it's actually the Sigma 10-20. It's easily my favorite lens of those I have, though I still have a lot to learn (always). It's particularly stunning with long exposures, which I want to try more of... I finally coughed up the money for a 77mm 10-stop ND filter before I left (I only had a 58mm), which is how I got the exposure of the cathedral/fountain.

Well, you're at least a step beyond me. I haven't gotten to where I'm using ND filters yet. Funny thing is my Canon G5 point-and-shoot (purchased several years ago) had an ND filter built in, and I had no idea what to do with it.

I just looked at the EXIF on the cathedral shot, and can see why you needed it. Sometimes looking at photos and their accompanying data can teach. You're making me want to pick up an ND filter now.

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #2,427 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you're a step beyond me. I haven't gotten to where I'm using ND filters yet. Funny thing is my Canon G5 point-and-shoot (purchased several years ago) had an ND filter built in, and I had no idea what to do with it.

I just looked at the EXIF on the cathedral shot, and can see why you needed it. Sometimes looking at photos and their accompanying data can teach. You're making me want to pick up an ND filter now.

The 10-stop filter (ND3) is particularly tricky because the effect is so dramatic. That exposure was relatively short for that filter... as soon as you lose direct sunlight, the exposure times can shoot up to the range of minutes (which can have really cool, and sometimes unexpected results). Since they are pricey when you get to the big sizes, it's good to know how you'll use it first. 3-5 stops is more practical for waterfall shots and the like.

Hopefully I'll be able to take some nice examples in the next week or so
biggrin.gif

And yeah, the built in ND filter on the G9 has come in more handy than I expected on a couple of occasions. A lot of people complain that it's a silly feature, but I find it quite nice having it there and easy to flip on at any time. If anything I just wish it was 5-stop instead of 3.

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #2,428 of 15,770
Baines: If you're looking for really directional light but don't have any off camera flash units you could perhaps use the small halogen bulbs with a long snoot like piece of card over it, it'll get very hot though so maybe it's not wise.. but with a little experimentation the results will be there i'm sure.

The gritty, detailed skin tones i like i get from bringing the texture out using the light and the use of the B&W Conversion in CS3, turn the red and yellow filters sliders down and generally keep the blues slider up.. it's not natural but it does add a nice bit of contrast - obv. you'll end up with B&W image though.

Hopefully that'll help you out a bit playing with ideas.

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #2,430 of 15,770
Red Tail Hawk

Majestic perching

I like Raptors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back