Jul 13, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #2,191 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wil,
Are those pics from Singapore?
Where you live?
I like alot!

uofmTiger,
I love dogs, and I bet yours is the best friend ever.

Yes sir, those pictures are indeed from Singapore.

I dont live in the area but those pictures are from the Tiong Bahru area!

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #2,192 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very nice.

Jude, was this photo cropped? If not, how did you manage to get so close to the flies without them flying away?!

Jul 14, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #2,193 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice.

Jude, was this photo cropped? If not, how did you manage to get so close to the flies without them flying away?!

Maybe they were too "involved" to notice his presence
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #2,194 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice.

Thank you, milkpowder.

Yes, there was some cropping, but not too much. I was pretty close, and certainly much closer than any other flies have ever let me get. (The lens is only 60mm, on a 1.6x crop body.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe they were too "involved" to notice his presence
wink.gif

Actually, you couldn't be more right! These two, for the most part, stayed in the same place, but rotated around a lot. I was able to get a bunch of photos in before they left.

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #2,195 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've posted this before, but here's a photo of flies mating (click on it for larger version), taken with that same lens (and the Canon EOS Rebel XSi):

That photo freaked me out...

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #2,198 of 15,770
Kudos on the macro shot of the flies Jude. I can't believe they let you get that close. I usually shoot with a 60mm nikkor micro on a 1.5x crop DSLR and it's very difficult to get good bug shots without scaring them away.

Here's a BW macro of a spider shot with a 105mm micro nikkor. The spider was shot in a softbox with a halogen light from right and a flash bounced off a white card on top:

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #2,200 of 15,770
whoa, some great pics for me to catch up on here, i've been away doing stuff recently good to see decent photos are still being posted though.

i bought a wee D80 and an SB-600 during my time away. I made a soft-box type thingy and set the flash behind it for a pure white background, i then directed the on-camera flash to the right and bounced it off a reflector (quite limited having to use the on camera flash).. here's my first attempt at a studio style portrait (self portrait so excuse the pot ugly subject lol).

Anyone got any tips? i think i could have used another reflector for the right side of my face to balance the light a tad more but other than than i'm pretty happy with the result.

flashport_bw-r.jpg

I love the 50mm lens though, viewed at 100% it's ultra sharp i still can't get over it.

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #2,202 of 15,770
yup i was looking out for exposure so i didn't lose detail but i totally missed that side!.. could have turned the power down a bit on the on-camera flash if i had been watching carefully.

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #2,203 of 15,770
Grabbed a few pictures while I was working doing home care today, the dogs were willing subjects during down time!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Messed around a bit with an overexposed pool jump
4.jpg

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #2,205 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Day's End

Bad weather tis 'a brewing down yonder

That's it from my short vacation. Now back to your regular programing.

That is an EPIC shot
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back