Post Your Photography Here #2
May 13, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #1,531 of 15,760
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see the lines around the people where you 'painted' the selection. The contrast/lightness around the people is noticeable.

I didn't paint anything over, I simply adjusted the levels to my liking, so it's most likely the jpg compression when I exported it. Need to find a way around the 'halos' though.

May 13, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #1,532 of 15,760
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTRacer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need to find a way around the 'halos' though.

That's what I was referring to.
Usually it is caused by a bad 'painted' selection technique. I've done that so many times it's not even funny. If you are not 'painting' the selection.... then I wonder if you are still selectively changing the levels (IE: not changing the levels uniformly throughout the whole picture). If so, however you selected it is the cause of the halos. To get around this, you can 'paint' the selection in some graphic editing programs, with a feather and a less than 100% selection. This will enable you to do what you are doing now, except it won't be noticeable.

May 13, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #1,533 of 15,760
Thanks for the great tip Towert7!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll try it on a less complicated scene.

May 13, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #1,534 of 15,760
Here's another semi-decent one I took yesterday:

_DSC0008.jpg

EDIT: It's strange what the RAW processor does to the converted JPEGs. I don't think this linked image gives the original enough credit in the slightest degree; the flowers are especially soft compared to the uncompressed version. Oh well, that's the nature of the beast.

May 13, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #1,535 of 15,760
Do each selection on an individual layer and apply gaussian blur to each. That'll reduce most of your halo's to at least be unnoticable.

May 13, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #1,536 of 15,760
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's another semi-decent one I took yesterday:

_DSC0008.jpg

EDIT: It's strange what the RAW processor does to the converted JPEGs. I don't think this linked image gives the original enough credit in the slightest degree; the flowers are especially soft compared to the uncompressed version. Oh well, that's the nature of the beast.

Did you buy any chance shoot RAW + JPEG? It would be interesting to compare the in-built RAW converter vs the freebie downloaded one. I'll have to agree with you on this one: it does look a bit soft to me.

Very nice pictures btw!

May 13, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #1,537 of 15,760
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTRacer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmjj9.jpg

Ah! Hong Kong! I know very roughly where this was taken
biggrin.gif
To the right hand side are the zoological and botanical gardens right?

May 13, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #1,538 of 15,760
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4 is from British Columbia. Something or other Falls, fairly close to Chilliwak.

Ahh, good old "something or other falls"

May 14, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #1,539 of 15,760
T = 0

It's been photoshoped, of course... but you have to admit that if you were just lying on the beach and all of a sudden you saw that....... well, I'd be scared!

May 14, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #1,540 of 15,760
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portraits:

I'm always a hit/miss with film, but I always seem to get better shots with it, on average. I refuse to waste film with numerous shots on one subject. I take one, maybe two if I'm worried I did something stupid on the first, and move on. With Digital, I snap off as many as I can.

Landscaping up next.

What film are you shooting and like KevDo do you develop your own?

May 14, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #1,541 of 15,760
Nice pic. If it were mine, I would title it "The Last Sunset."

May 14, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #1,543 of 15,760
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice pic. If it were mine, I would title it "The Last Sunset."

Thanks!
That's a great title.

May 14, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #1,544 of 15,760
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh, good old "something or other falls"

Apparently I'm way off. It was Harrison Hot Springs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What film are you shooting and like KevDo do you develop your own?

Ilford. All the ones from the portrait selection were 800 ISO, if that matters. I don't think any of these that I posted were developed by me. Usually I just take most of my film into Blacks, or whatever I'm closest to and let them do it. I've developed a few rolls of colour, but they usually turned out meh. Not worth posting in my opinion. I'm also not much of a photographer, I just have fun with it. I might as well put the camera to use, no one else in the family wants it.

Once I move back home, to where there is civilization, I might look into finding a darkroom to rent, or steal from University students I know.

May 14, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #1,545 of 15,760
Mini Forest:

Road to Southwest:

Pink Rhododendron:

Dandelion:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back