Post your "I am done with Upgraditis" Pics HERE
May 13, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #31 of 50
I read this from stereophiles guide to high end audio more than 10 years ago so i don't really remember the details any more than this. I had definitive technology speakers at the time and the speakers really did produce a clean output down to well under 30hz in the living room of the house while only producing a more one note type bass in the master bedroom that measured down to 40 something hz. One note because of the squarish room dimensions

May 13, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #32 of 50
This is weird though cause in a car you can get a good clean 20hz without the space. I guess because of the speed the sound can bounce back and forth
confused.gif
Forgot the principle but I read that somewhere before too
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #34 of 50
That's what I thought, but 55 feet is ridiculous... My living room at home measures about 19' x 22' with quite a high ceiling and I'm convinced the speakers can reproduce 20Hz... Then again, there's a half level opening half way up the wall that opens into the dining area and that extends about another 16-20' so the widest dimension for a standing wave to develop is around 40'.

untitledgz3.png

May 13, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jon L, we need more pictures of your rig! Show us some detailed ones of the amps and cables
biggrin.gif

That's a beautiful room you got there. There's no way I can put my audio in my big room, so I have to make do in the upstairs smaller space. I do have flexibility b/c I sit quasi near-field, and I use a Bryston active crossover to actively bi-amp, which lets me control bass curve/amount quite well.

I use the Almarro single-ended amp for above 140 Hz and Marsh SS amp for below 140 Hz. There's also the separate subwoofer (the black box on left), which I have on at a whisper at the lowest setting, which gives me additional flexibility.

I do feel, like you, that cables and "miscellaneous" can make or break a system, and I must mention my DIY cables that have a big part in my success. These are DIY "UBYTE-2" designs using cross-connection to reduce inductance. These are just fabulous, and speaker cables and power cords have displaced some seriously $$ commercial cables.

img1740gi6.jpg

Another crucial part is my XS Technologies Strata battery-buffered "pure sine-wave regenerator," which I modded some more. GREAT product at $800-1000 before the company went out of business
frown.gif

img1735hm6.jpg

Everything starts with my silent Audio PC, which was another move in the right direction for me. Currently, I use Lynx 2B soundcard's spdif output (via DIY modded breakout adapter) into Oritek modded Zhaolu 2A (Yup, see my previous posts on this wonder). I also have/use Empirical Audio USB-spdif converter via DIY battery PS.

img1732zu4.jpg

img1726ud0.jpg

I control everything remotely from my listening seat, using Viewsonic wireless LCD monitor.

img1725oq7.jpg

I feel somewhat bad that my wonderful-sounding VAC Renaissance 30/30 300B amp is just sitting on the floor unused, especially at $7800 MSRP, but I do have a synergy here currently that I can't break
smily_headphones1.gif

img1724kr6.jpg

Oops. I almost neglected the heart of my speaker system (just like K1000 being the heart of my headphone system). IMO the transducer lifts the most weight, and mine is one-of-a-kind custom speakers, initially started as a prototype of Quintessence Acoustics, which have gone through several stages of upgrades. It sports 3" thick baffles, and it's actively bi-amped. Focal Audiom 7K2 Midrange-only drivers and Aurum Cantus G3 ribbon tweeters are giving me 96dB/7Ohm, whereas bass is handled by a couple of Dynaudio woofers. This speaker actually keeps up with AKG K1000 in speed and transparency
smily_headphones1.gif

img1738me4.jpg

May 13, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #37 of 50
I've had my rig essentially unchanged for over 1.5 years now. After attending three meets (including the international) and trying out just about every make and model headphone and amp, I still don't feel the urge to upgrade anything.

f59334fc.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

May 13, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lastly, if you have a system that can go down to 20hz, it won't go down that low if you don't have enough length in one dimension for the wavelength to fit in the room. I think 20hz needs at least a 20 ft dimension

Actually that's not correct
tongue.gif

You don't need to wait for the sound to travel a full wavelength (or a half, or a quarter, etc) before you can hear it. For proof, consider the L3000 and DX1000 closed headphones (among others) that can easily, audibly reproduce 25Hz and below while on the head - there's nowhere near enough room in those cups for a full wavelength. What the dimensions of the room will determine are the modes/resonances - a 56 foot long room will have a primary mode at 20 Hz that will cause either a null or peak at various points in the room. If you happen to be sitting in a null spot then no, you won't be able to hear that specific frequency. A room with proper acoustic treatments will significantly lessen the effect of the peaks and nulls.

May 15, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #44 of 50
Beautiful baby, Ed. I hope to join the ranks in near future, but I do worry about raising children in this SoCal "environment."

In the spirit of stocking up before babies, I have this new amp coming to me. I had a gutted-out Adcom GFA5200 amp chassis/transformer and some large Elna Cerafines laying around, so I sent them to a Gainclone guru for a LM3886 Gainclone to be made. 45 WPC into 8 Ohms and should drive my K1000's beautifully, maybe even my speakers.

This amp isn't due to "upgraditis," so in the spirit of the thread:

1878728largeaf0.jpg

1878726largeas3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back