Post your "I am done with Upgraditis" Pics HERE
May 13, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, I see... An all-Grado meet
biggrin.gif

The man in the backgound, what's he up to. Is that an aftermaket power cord hanging there?

May 13, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #17 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The man in the backgound, what's he up to. Is that an aftermaket power cord hanging there?

Looks like a valhalla, wrapped by partick82

May 13, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #19 of 50
That man is a woman. She's looking on, scowling, wondering to herself what the appeal of this group listening is. She hasn't seen the bottle of cabernet-shiraz on the table though!
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know little to nothing about speakers and proper room acoustics, but isn't having a carpet floor bad for the sound and aren't the speakers supposed to be in the center of the room?

Like OP said, a carpet is actually quite good since it dampens reflections.

Positioning them too close to a wall is on the other hand not so good (if you want neutral representation, that is), since it will raise lower frequencies (by boosting them +3dB with every surface they're in close proximity to, meaning postitioning in a corner would boost lower freq's +9dB).
I can't tell from the picture if the right speaker is the same distance from the wall as the left (as it's cropped), but if not, the left side will project a bit more bass.

The optimal placement would be like 3+ meters out from any reflecting surface in a big and acoustically damped room with no parallell surfaces (meaning a studio control room
smily_headphones1.gif
).
You also have to take in account when placing your speakers, that the closer to the wall you place them, the higher up in freq the first cancellation will come. Judging from the picture, I'd guess the first cancellation is somewhere around 70Hz (which I rather have over a cancellation around, say 800Hz).

And a tip to the OP is to put the speakers on spikes (to prevent low freq's from being distributed via the floor). It really does tighten up the bass.

I didn't mean to get all mr lecture-guy on you, but in case somebody was interested, there it is..

May 13, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #22 of 50
I think I'm actually done! I have my Axiom floorstanders flanking my 65" TV with additional Axioms spread around the room in just the right places, so the speaker system has been complete for the last few years.

The phone situation may also be complete since I haven't been able to fault my HD600/MS2i combo for the last few months, so I may be done there as well!

.....I do have this question in the back of my mind about getting a proper headphone amp however to compare to my older Onkyo receiver which has multiple convenient inputs, sounds great, and has the ability to adjust EQ that one-time-in-a-hundred occurrence.

May 13, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #23 of 50
I had many, many cans and many amps (source too). Now, I am done with this setup for long time to come.

img1306zy8.jpg

img1307hc3.jpg

May 13, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Positioning them too close to a wall is on the other hand not so good (if you want neutral representation, that is), since it will raise lower frequencies (by boosting them +3dB with every surface they're in close proximity to, meaning postitioning in a corner would boost lower freq's +9dB).
I can't tell from the picture if the right speaker is the same distance from the wall as the left (as it's cropped), but if not, the left side will project a bit more bass.

The optimal placement would be like 3+ meters out from any reflecting surface in a big and acoustically damped room with no parallell surfaces (meaning a studio control room
smily_headphones1.gif
).
You also have to take in account when placing your speakers, that the closer to the wall you place them, the higher up in freq the first cancellation will come. Judging from the picture, I'd guess the first cancellation is somewhere around 70Hz (which I rather have over a cancellation around, say 800Hz).

And a tip to the OP is to put the speakers on spikes (to prevent low freq's from being distributed via the floor). It really does tighten up the bass.

I didn't mean to get all mr lecture-guy on you, but in case somebody was interested, there it is..

Wow
blink.gif

May 13, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm actually done! I have my Axiom floorstanders flanking my 65" TV with additional Axioms spread around the room in just the right places, so the speaker system has been complete for the last few years.

My story is similar to yours. I'm also happy with my HT and haven't changed anything in over 3 years.

My headphone story is also much closer to an end. I now have money that I'm not sure what to do with.
eek.gif
...well, not enough to buy what I really want yet
evil_smiley.gif
In other words, for a worthwhile upgrade from what I'm using now I feel that I'd have to spend quite a bit.

I have a nice little stash of cans that I feel compliment each other nicely with plenty of music to go with it.
600smile.gif

Portable gear...check.

my couch-side amusement park

same ol' HT pics

...and the mighty little sub that could
basshead.gif
amazing quantity/quality for under one cubic foot!

May 13, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
).

in addition, the distance to the side wall and back wall shouldnt be multiples of each other or else some frequencies will cancel out.

Room dimensions also matter. The closer you are to the golden ratio the better. A square room for example will have humps at every octave starting at one frequency ex 10db hump at 80hz, 10 at 160, 10 at 320, and so forth. a dimension of 10x16x26 is a good dimension for example that makes the room less influential to the speakers sound. Combining that with good speaker placement and a good balance of bright and dead surfaces will make for a great sounding system.

Lastly, if you have a system that can go down to 20hz, it won't go down that low if you don't have enough length in one dimension for the wavelength to fit in the room. I think 20hz needs at least a 20 ft dimension

May 13, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lastly, if you have a system that can go down to 20hz, it won't go down that low if you don't have enough length in one dimension for the wavelength to fit in the room. I think 20hz needs at least a 20 ft dimension

Interesting. How do you work that out? I remember seeing a formula somewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back