Post Your Favorite Art
Sep 29, 2009 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Zodduska

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to discover some artists previously unknown to me and it might be fun for others to as well.

Discussion is greatly encouraged so feel free to tell us why you like the particular artist's work.

I'll start,

Ludolf Bakhuyzen
Ludolf Bakhuizen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I really like the way he did water and clouds, I haven't really seen much else (yet) that delivers such a sense of motion in the sea.

800px-Schepen_aan_lager_wal_-_Ships_running_aground_-_The_%27Ridderschap%27_and_%27Hollandia%27_in_trouble_in_the_Street_of_Gibraltar_1-3_March_1694_%28Ludolf_Backhuysen%2C_1708%29.jpg

By the way, it doesn't necessarily have to be your favorite, any artwork you would like to share is fine even your own.

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 14
I recently got back into Magic: The Gathering, and every piece of art I saw and liked was done by one Raymond Swanland.

stf36_Thraximundar.jpg

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 14
That Bakhuizen is beautiful, thanks for sharing

My class recently took a three week trip to Italy. Despite all of the incredible frescos and works we saw, this one really stood out to me. I am no artist, but I was just struck dumb by the raw emotion depicted on St. Augustine by Botticelli. It's particularly good when contrasted with Ghirlandaio's image of St. Jerome, which is directly across the way in the Ognissanti.

galileo_st_augustine_in_his_studio.jpg

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently got back into Magic: The Gathering, and every piece of art I saw and liked was done by one Raymond Swanland.

That's pretty cool, I've always like some good fantasy art, thanks for sharing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Bakhuizen is beautiful, thanks for sharing

My class recently took a three week trip to Italy. Despite all of the incredible frescos and works we saw, this one really stood out to me. I am no artist, but I was just struck dumb by the raw emotion depicted on St. Augustine by Botticelli. It's particularly good when contrasted with Ghirlandaio's image of St. Jerome, which is directly across the way in the Ognissanti.

I'm jealous of your trip and I'm not an artist either but that is a really nice painting, the detail in St. Augustine's face in particular is fantastic, thanks for posting it.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 14
Paul Klee is one of my favorites:

klee3.jpg

enlarged_version_of_paul_klee_s_individualized_measurement_of_strata_pastel_on_black_paper_2005_lightbox.jpg

as well as Kandinsky, Miro, and most of the abstract expressionists.

Also like Cezanne:

cezanne.jpg

And van Gogh, of course.

van_gogh_sunflower.jpg

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 14
Among the currently active painters, my favorite is Luc Tuymans. The muted expression in his portaits; the unhealthy skin tones of green and dirty yellow; the backdrops in ghostly shades of sepia and grey. All suggests sentiments that have been consciously, perhaps painfully, suppressed.

The Rabbit (1994)
painting5.jpg

Fingers (1995)
LucTuymansFingers1995.jpg

Der Diagnostischeblick III
3derdiagnostischeblick.jpg

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 14
I have this one hanging up in my house.
Everyone tries to run off with it or get me to give it to them.
I keep telling them that's where I am going to retire.

Artist: Hans-Werner Sahm
Title: "Resort"

resort.jpg

Oct 1, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 14
Easy for me: Gustave Caillebotte, "Les Raboteurs"

caillbotte-gustave-01.JPG

I've spent spent quite a bit of time at the Louvre just staring at this painting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back