Post your computer specs!~
May 19, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #2,701 of 3,098
Gaming wise here everything I play is older, still an FPS player here myself. Honestly everything for me is usually all overkill unless I'm messing with something new or doing any kind of video editing.

I originally thought I lost my MB and not my 5950x. I hadn't actually lost a processor since back during the early Athlon Thunderbird days when one of 2 fans on my towercooler died and CPU died within seconds.
Processors live forever! I have a few assrock boards (never buying again LOL) around 8th gen intel and 1st-2nd gen ryzen that I keep thinking about testing more analytically or trying to fix. I should probably give them away, though, and maybe to a dumpster.

May 19, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #2,702 of 3,098
Processors live forever! I have a few assrock boards (never buying again LOL) around 8th gen intel and 1st-2nd gen ryzen that I keep thinking about testing more analytically or trying to fix. I should probably give them away, though, and maybe to a dumpster.
Yup I've still got 2x Intel i7-2700k's that are still doing work for both another friend now and one I use in a small linux environment here. Plus the one CPU failure I had on that Athlon Thunderbird it was just DEAD. This time I thought NVME's, then NVME slot (hince motherboard) because system would be stable after a fresh NVME drive and windows install. Then randomly hard lock and bluescreen. I never thought to google Ryzen failure but after it did it on the other x570 board sure enough. But I will say I was detailed on my RMA. Submitted on Sunday evening, got a 2 day label the next morning. By following Monday I had new processor in hand. So the upgrade to the 13900k was more so not needed, but my main desktop I do so much with I can't have it down.

May 26, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #2,703 of 3,098
Finally picked up an FE4090. How do I get started with LLM training assuming I only know C and C++ and nothing else.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #2,705 of 3,098
i3 8100,rtx 3800ti,8gb ram,32tb of free space on all the HDDs currently (2x 10tb + 3x4tb HDD no ssd exept for the nvme system disk)...

I have also Ryzen 5 1600,8gb ram second/backup desktop just in case.

May 26, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #2,706 of 3,098
Untitled.png

Somebody stop me from buying computer parts.

Already got the motherboard: Gigabyte Designare X399. Debating if I should go full-stupid and get 128GB of RAM. Also debating what to do with the system. lol

May 26, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #2,707 of 3,098

Somebody stop me from buying computer parts.

Already got the motherboard: Gigabyte Designare X399. Debating if I should go full-stupid and get 128GB of RAM. Also debating what to do with the system. lol
Currently I'm addicted to SSD storage. I'm an nvme addict. I want the 7kMBps r/w. I want faster, fast, faster memory!!!! I want to write a terabyte in a second!

Last edited:
May 27, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #2,708 of 3,098
May 27, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #2,709 of 3,098
Currently I'm addicted to SSD storage. I'm an nvme addict. I want the 7kMBps r/w. I want faster, fast, faster memory!!!! I want to write a terabyte in a second!
Wait till the new PCIE 5.0 nvme ssds come out.

r/w speeds of up to 12k mb/s, this is probably just the initial generation of pcie 5.0 nvme ssds, over time it will get even faster once they figure out how to push the limits of pcie 5.0.

I have a sabrent pcie 3.0 nvme drive that runs at about 36 degrees C, my samsung 980 pro pcie 4.0 nvme drive that runs at 54 degrees C.

These are not at heavy load. There is going to be a problem with heat with these new nvme drives.

71FPh1tcSDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is the gigabyte pcie 5.0 nvme ssd, I think thats a ridiculous size heatsink for something that size. At a certain point, its going to need active cooling.

May 27, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #2,711 of 3,098
Wait till the new PCIE 5.0 nvme ssds come out.

r/w speeds of up to 12k mb/s, this is probably just the initial generation of pcie 5.0 nvme ssds, over time it will get even faster once they figure out how to push the limits of pcie 5.0.

I have a sabrent pcie 3.0 nvme drive that runs at about 36 degrees C, my samsung 980 pro pcie 4.0 nvme drive that runs at 54 degrees C.

These are not at heavy load. There is going to be a problem with heat with these new nvme drives.

This is the gigabyte pcie 5.0 nvme ssd, I think thats a ridiculous size heatsink for something that size. At a certain point, its going to need active cooling.
You just gave me a hard-on. Dis going to make me nut.
They so fast that they get hot. Hot diggity.
Well then, I think they made this for you:

"PCIe 4.0 Card Hosts 21 M.2 SSDs: Up To 168TB, 31 GB/s"

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/pcie4-card-21-m2-ssds-168tb-31gbps
Me so horny! Dat's crazy speeds. High bandwidth memory bus is so hot!

Last edited:
May 27, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #2,712 of 3,098
I had to read up on zfs & Solaris. Sounds like a robust system. That's cool you were able to salvage the rack servers. I don't have that many TB of data, and I just have a couple of drives in an HTPC style case.

Yeah, I like the filesystem, it was developed by Sun and has a lot of good management features. I haven't found anything I like nearly as much. And Solaris 10 was a great UNIX. It is still usable but essentially dead and I have not tried Solaris 11. Anyway at some point Sun (Oracle?) started open sourcing parts of ZFS and along with several new companies staffed by ex-Sun developers who took the ZFS parts and ran with them, FreeBSD and later Linux also support it. But compatibility is now an issue.

For Linux, I like JFS (from IBM) and XFS (from SGI). There a lot of choices in OS and filesystems for NAS...

May 27, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #2,713 of 3,098
I was not aware of this hidden gem due to the Nvidia hype, but if anybody looking for a sweetspot in price per performance, I highly recommend 6800XT for a video card. 16GB of vram, and it just performs superbly for what you pay. It's for those that like something optimal in terms of value per price. If I were to do my system over again, I would build around this card since the budget would be so reasonable. I get that some of yall got the 4080 or 4090, yada yada (yawn), but I find that it's more impressive if you can find something by research that performs like 6800XT, when it's not spoon fed to you or obvious.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #2,715 of 3,098
I know I said I like nvme, but in practicality, in terms of gaming usage, there really isn't much benefit from me over even SATA SSD for gaming. However, nvme prices are just getting slashed and price gaps are narrowing between SSD interface types, it's just that the newest gen is going to be higher. gen3 and sata ssds are probably close enough that it makes sense for me to go gen3 nvme for my usage (don't needs the highest pcie speeds). I don't do a lot of w/r (I don't see doing much rewrites), but just mainly read for gaming, so gen3 is more that enough speed for my usage, even SATA is sufficient. I was considering Samsung QVO due to it's availability in 8TB and the cheapest price for 8TB, and I will only be concerned about read speed, and want the 8TB capacity, but still not sure if the performance is not much difference from it and other SATA SSDs for gaming (for reads only). Anybody have insights on this, let me know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back