Post-Rock Thread
May 28, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #31 of 81
I'll second This Will Destroy You and add
Saxon Shore - Be a Bright Blue
Laura - Mapping your dreams
ctrlaltdelete - Mondegreens

For some quality lesser known post rock. Everything else mentioned in here is fantastic too
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #34 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the album Peregrine by The Appleseed Cast.
Masterwork.

+1

LOW LEVEL OWL is pretty post-rocky too..

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #35 of 81
OK OK OK.. I read through this thread and I don't think I missed them, if I did I'm sorry, but I'm kind of shocked... really, you all need to hear 3 of the seminal albums of Post-rock. Where it all began.

LAUGHING STOCK by Talk Talk (after they were New Wave, they got all arty)
HEX by Bark Psychosis (um, the term "post-rock" was first used to describe them)
PYGMALION by Slowdive (not only one of the greatest shoegazers, but arguably, one of the first post-rock bands as well)

Really. Put down your Do Make Mogwai in the Exploding Black Mono Pelican Sky albums and check them out..

biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #37 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by caek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why no mention of Slint if we're gonna go back that far?
smily_headphones1.gif

yea, good point. I think bands like Explosions in the Sky definately were influenced by Slint (after watching their Austin City Limits performance, uh.. yea..). They kind of pioneered that "strummy" sound. We used to say bands that sounded like Slint (Engine Kid, Rodan, even Don Caballero at times) were "Slintastic"..

I guess in my mind, I see Slint being off on their own planet. Though, I would have to say that SPIDERLAND should be right there next to LAUGHING STOCK, HEX and PYGMALION as far as seminal early post-rock albums. You could also add SIXTY-NINE by A.R. Kane and David Sylvian's RAIN TREE CROW project to the list too.. Albums that made me go.. um, excuse me, but what galaxy did you come from?

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #39 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzydice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strummy like The Chameleons sort of strummy?

Sad to say, I've not heard enough Chameleons to know whether or not it's the same kind of strummy..

I've asked myself many times over the years.. "where did Slint come from" musically.. their roots obviously go back through other bands that were contemporary or earlier than Slint.. Squirrel Bait, Bastro and Bitch Magnet. Before that.. hard to say, though there is definately a Steve Albini influence on their debut album TWEEZE. Maybe some Neil Young, definately some Sonic Youth.. SPIDERLAND was a different beast all together. I could probably write an essay.

-Mason

Sep 14, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #41 of 81
slowcore. that's where slint got part of their sound from. listen to some codeine. 'washer' can be considered a slowcore song in my mind.

and spiderland and loveless are right now, in my mind, the two greatest albums ever recorded.

Sep 15, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #44 of 81
I have a major love/hate relationship with the style. One the one hand, it has contained some of the best musicians of the past several years, yet it is also full of so many tiresome clones and yawn-enducing projects. I'm even inclined to believe that the best post-rockers are the ones where calling them post-rock is honestly an insult!

That said, I love Godspeed, Grails, Rachel's, and the Mono/WEG collab., though I refuse to ever consider any of these as rock music of any kind.

Sep 15, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #45 of 81
Post-rock is a bit love/hate for me. Started out with Godspeed You! Black Emperor, easily the most emotional music I have ever heard, and found quite a bit of the other post-rock I heard to be quite dull.

Post-rock I like:
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
A Silver Mt. Zion
Grails
Crippled Black Phoenix
Yndi Halda
Valley of the Giants
Maserati
Shora's newer work (their old stuff is much more grindcore... bit of a weird evolution but it works. Their old stuff is actually quite good too)
Sigur Ros
Mono
Explosions in the Sky
The Evpatoria Report
65daysofstatic

Meh:
Mogwai
God is an Astronaut
Eluvium
The Album Leaf
Do Make Say Think
Set Fire To Flames
This Will Destroy You
Fly Pan Am
Jesu
Pelican

Maybe I just need to listen to the artists on the second list more. I haven't written them off completely (except Mogwai... Their new album is OK though) but I definitely don't listen to them much. I've found myself to be much more accepting of post-metal; Mountains Became Machines, Isis, Cult of Luna, Rosetta, Neurosis, all great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back