Post-Rock Thread
May 4, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #16 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
el ten eleven were featured heavily in the soundtrack for the documentary Helvetica, right? I remember liking it quite a bit.

From Monument to Masses is very good also. Post rock type instrumentals with political vocal samples.

agreed with monument to masses, anyone for max richter?

May 4, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #17 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozstrike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
65daysofstatic are my favourite band ever, but it's debatable how post-rock they are.

Yea, nicely mastered on the last The Destruction Of Small Ideas CD too, after they began to realize that heavy compression and limiting was hurting the sound of the music (see below). The Distant and Mechanised Glow of Eastern European Dance Parties EP just came out this week, did you hear any of it yet? Definitely a lot more interesting than some of the bands mentioned in this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

--------------------------------------
"We tried to make it in a way that would retain it's dynamic and make it listenable at many different volumes, like records used to be made before it became fashionable to compress the fuck out of them, until they're so loud they sound like a brick wall, but can capture the attention of the average radio listener faced with hours and hours of rubbish, by being that much louder than everything else. Instead we made this so the quiet bits are quiet and the loud bits are loud, and if you turn it up on your stereo you can hear everything in it's own place."

May 4, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #18 of 81
Isis
Pelican
Russian Circles
Red Sparowes
Maserati
Blood & Time
Neurosis
Cult of Luna
Daturah
Jakob
Lakes of Russia
Meniscus
MGR

Not all of these artists specifically fit the Post-rock genre, but are at least closely related IMO. The genre has become confused in recent times and is almost open for interpretation. I'm sure most post-rock fans will enjoy the majority of artists I have listed above regardless...

May 6, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #20 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Russian Circles

Not all of these artists specifically fit the Post-rock genre, but are at least closely related IMO. The genre has become confused in recent times and is almost open for interpretation. I'm sure most post-rock fans will enjoy the majority of artists I have listed above regardless...

That Russian Circles album Enter is really good. They are touring this summer too by the way so check out their site to see it they come to your area.
I wonder who will be playing bass on the tour, hopefully Brian Cook.

I totally agree that the genre is becoming confused/confusing. It seems that a lot of people I know just use "post rock" to describe epic or semi-epic instrumental bands.

In that instrumental vein, Jaga Jazzist is quite good. I first read about them a long time ago here on Head Fi actually. The album What We Must is my favorite.

May 6, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #21 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Russian Circles... are touring this summer too by the way so check out their site to see it they come to your area.

Sydney? Doubt it... but I'll be there if they do...

May 6, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #22 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohh, it hurts a fan to hear something like that only because it's NOT TRUE!
mad.gif

I've only listened to One Step Closer and You Die. I've got a documentary DVD as well but havent watched it yet. What Mono albums do you recommend?

May 6, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #23 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by ephrank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only listened to One Step Closer and You Die. I've got a documentary DVD as well but havent watched it yet. What Mono albums do you recommend?

Palmless Prayer / Mass Murder Refrain is quite good.

May 6, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #24 of 81
Check out the album Peregrine by The Appleseed Cast.
Masterwork.

May 6, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #25 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, nicely mastered on the last The Destruction Of Small Ideas CD too, after they began to realize that heavy compression and limiting was hurting the sound of the music (see below). The Distant and Mechanised Glow of Eastern European Dance Parties EP just came out this week, did you hear any of it yet? Definitely a lot more interesting than some of the bands mentioned in this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I have the CD, and I saw them live a few weeks ago. Easily the best live show I've ever been to, ended up getting pulled onto the stage for the finale!

The new Russian Circles album is out soon, I've preordered the CD, and the vinyl version too. There's a box set that has all 3 colours of the vinyl pressing.

Everyone needs to check out Maybeshewill. The music is great, with lots of samples from films and stuff, and they're really nice guys too. The new album is out next week I think.

May 6, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #26 of 81
The new Russian Circles is meh. The first couple songs are great, then it just descends into mediocrity. I do have the vinyl on preorder though.

On the plus side, I have tickets for Efterklang later this month.

May 6, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #27 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out the album Peregrine by The Appleseed Cast.
Masterwork.

Great album but I wouldnt classify it as postrock. Its crossing over to something. Anyway, recommended x2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back