Post Pictures of Your Instrument and more!
May 30, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #526 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perlman is my new favourite. Heifetz and Oistrakh NEVER played with such soul and passion. Perlman doesn't play note perfect, but who the hell cares when it's so enjoyable to listen to?

No, I think you have this reversed. But that's just IMO... Sometimes Perlman does extremely beautiful things, but sometimes the expressiveness actually borders on cheesy. Doesn't really cross into cheesy-land, but borders on it. Oistrakh and Heifetz were noble in this regard. To say Heifetz and Oistrakh lacked passion... *shakes head*

Oh, and don't get me started on Vengerov, what a clown.

To elaborate:

Clown: YouTube - Vengerov - Carmen Fantasie
Class act: YouTube - Kogan - Waxman Carmen Fantasy

Clown: YouTube - Maxim Vengerov - Bazzini: La Ronde des Lutins Op.25
Class act: YouTube - Perlman in Russia- Bazzini

CLOWN: sabre dance!

May 30, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #527 of 597
You have a genuine Joseph Rocca?
eek.gif
I'm really envious! I see it's well-cased too
wink.gif
Is it just a nice treat or are you planning on going professional?

The Oliv may be nice, but they aren't practical. I travel a little and changes in humidity/temperature make things difficult. What is the lifespan of the Oliv?

Lots of soloists use the Evahs because of their responsiveness. They can take quite a bit of hammering (chords and pizzicato) and still remain in tune. Their projection is also superb and whilst not capable of as wide a tonal range as the Obligatos or perhaps your Olivs, they are not completely lifeless. I'm using a set at the moment (+ oliv e) because I've decided to use up all my existing strings first before purchasing more...

Vengerov is a little cheesy, but his playing is immense. I've watched a few documentaries about him (courtesy of youtube) and I've come to the conclusion that he is not all show and no substance. He makes every note count and really puts a lot of effort into the interpretation (whether you like it or not
tongue.gif
). I like his playing a lot.

The debate regarding Heifetz's playing will go on forever. I personally find his playing slightly cold. It's almost as if he doesn't really care about how the note sounds. Some notes he just blasts out. It's quite insensitive IMO. There's no question about his technique though
redface.gif

Those youtube videos are very nice. I can see where you're coming from, but to compare the Vengerov carmen to Kogan's is a bit unfair. I doubt vengerov would've played in the same manner if it was his solo. I don't like them speeding up the tape to make Kogan seem superhuman either even though he could probably play at that speed. Anyway, even if Vengerov were to play in his clownish-show-off manner, I wouldn't necessary object. We all know he's capable of huge musical depth which really shows in his concertos. In this case though, I would also prefer Kogan's version, but for goodness sake slow the tape back down... He also plays the Nel Cor Piu Non Mio Sento brilliantly.

May 30, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #528 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a genuine Joseph Rocca?
eek.gif
I'm really envious! I see it's well-cased too
wink.gif
Is it just a nice treat or are you planning on going professional?

The Oliv may be nice, but they aren't practical. I travel a little and changes in humidity/temperature make things difficult. What is the lifespan of the Oliv?

Lots of soloists use the Evahs because of their responsiveness. They can take quite a bit of hammering (chords and pizzicato) and still remain in tune. Their projection is also superb and whilst not capable of as wide a tonal range as the Obligatos or perhaps your Olivs, they are not completely lifeless. I'm using a set at the moment (+ oliv e) because I've decided to use up all my existing strings first before purchasing more...

Vengerov is a little cheesy, but his playing is immense. I've watched a few documentaries about him (courtesy of youtube) and I've come to the conclusion that he is not all show and no substance. He makes every note count and really puts a lot of effort into the interpretation (whether you like it or not
tongue.gif
). I like his playing a lot.

The debate regarding Heifetz's playing will go on forever. I personally find his playing slightly cold. It's almost as if he doesn't really care about how the note sounds. Some notes he just blasts out. It's quite insensitive IMO. There's no question about his technique though
redface.gif

Those youtube videos are very nice. I can see where you're coming from, but to compare the Vengerov carmen to Kogan's is a bit unfair. I doubt vengerov would've played in the same manner if it was his solo. I don't like them speeding up the tape to make Kogan seem superhuman either even though he could probably play at that speed. Anyway, even if Vengerov were to play in his clownish-show-off manner, I wouldn't necessary object. We all know he's capable of huge musical depth which really shows in his concertos. In this case though, I would also prefer Kogan's version, but for goodness sake slow the tape back down... He also plays the Nel Cor Piu Non Mio Sento brilliantly.

I think Vengerov suffers from having a big heart, but not much intellect to really create something truly cohesive. No doubt he has more talent than anybody - maybe needed a teacher with more artistic vision, who knows. The Kogan Carmen is uh, unbelievable, slightly fast tape or otherwise. Dare I say, better than Heifetz's...? Kogan is severely underrated.

Frank Peter Zimmerman is a notable one who uses a full set of Olivs on his strad (including the A!). For most though probably Dominant is just more practical and sounds good enough! I've only started using Olivs, but from what I've read you can pretty much put them on and use 'em till they break, which isn't something you can say about Dominant, which start sounding pretty dead after a couple months of professional-level use.

Rocca as a mere rich boy's toy? No way. Somehow I was practically born with a fiddle in my hand, and that's just the way I've always been. *shrug* I'm by no means rich. It's just thanks to my late grandmother who wanted her inheritance to go towards a violin... for which I will be eternally grateful.

Yes, Heifetz can seem aloof and cold. My theory is that he was beyond human, something that mere mortals simply cannot relate to. All we can do is be awed by his incredible powers. As a consequence I am never actually happy after listening to Heifetz. Oistrakh on the other hand invariably puts a smile on my face and I'm in a good mood.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #529 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any pics of the progress?

Sorry, not yet. I have been busy getting ready for my sister's open house and a buddy's wedding, so I haven't had time to start yet. I will probably start an new thread when I do start.

May 31, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #530 of 597
My humble starter guitar:

john_topbz2.jpg

john_back1w0m.jpg
john_back2nri.jpg

A Johnson JO17 I bought myself for Christmas.
(Somewhat nice coincidence: I got the S/N 00010007
cool.gif
)
Solid Englemann spruce top, Rosewood back & sides. The second pic is a bit misleading because of the extreme lighting, in reality the wood looks more like on the third pic.
It came with an extremely ugly pickguard which I removed after a few months. Looks way better imho!

Jun 7, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #531 of 597
My newest acoustic - Ovation 1771LX

DSCN2993.JPG

Front view.

DSCN2995.JPG

Artsy-fartsy-ish shot.

DSCN2996.JPG

Pardon the dust.

DSCN2998.JPG

Lens shadow.

DSCN3006.JPG

The tuners look crappy because I left the plastic covers on.

I really love this guitar. My dad has an Ovation from the 60s or 70s that has enormous bass. I used to take it out to play at parties and bonfires and it was amazing. He got me this one for my birthday because I think he knew that I was a little disappointed with the one I got last year, which was really thoughtful of him and I totally didn't expect to get another acoustic for my birthday a year later. I love the Ovations because they don't get all freaked out by climate change like my dad's Martin or 12-string Taylor do.

One of my favorite things about my guitar is that the neck is made of 5 pieces of maple/mahogany. It wasn't all that expensive (like some of the other instruments I see on here) but I'm sure I'll be content with this for a couple of decades.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #532 of 597
my classical guitar
dsc01538editedle8.jpg

my electric
dsc01543editedqo4.jpg

my rosewood erhu, resonator
dsc01531editedsp9.jpg

pegs, head
dsc01532editedts0.jpg

rosette
dsc01535editednu7.jpg

the images for my erhu kinda fuzzy
redface.gif

had troubles trying to get the wood grains out

man i love rosewood
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #534 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one ever reads these threads anyway, but Flea concert ukulele with solid koa top:

dscn0625.png

dscn0616.png

Plainsong...love the flea sound. I have one of the original fluke designs, but my favorite is my custom Talsma six string Pineapple...Are we the only ukulele fans on headfi?

100_0025.jpg

100_0024.jpg

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #535 of 597
l_8d4d9daf2ea099992b774906d9909a24.jpg

l_972d92ab16c720d914a07bd3816788b8.jpg

This is my "live" set:
Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion, Sabian 16" AAXpolsion Crash, Sabian 17" AAX Studio Crash, Zildjian 22" A Custom Ping Ride, Paiste 14" Signature Heavy Hi-Hats, 10' Sabian "Niel Peart" Paragon Splash, 10' Paiste Signature Splash, Pearl P122TW Double Pedal, Vator 5A hickory sticks, Evans G2 coated heads, Evans EMAD bass drum heads, Beyerdynamic DT 770 M Monitoring Headphones, LiveWires custom IEM's, Audix Fusion drum mics, & DW Pacific HD hardware.

I am blessed to have a "rehearsal/studio" set which is exactly the same except that the shells are Ash instead of Birch.

I also love my Remo 14" djembe
226355jpg.jpg

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #536 of 597
Aug 31, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #538 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's the latest acoustic, a Martin 00-17:

YouTube - 1958 Martin 00-17 Demo

And the latest electric, just a buncha effects:

YouTube - A/DA TFX4 Time Effects Flanger Demo - w/Verbzilla Octo

Wow, very nice, Jahn.

If you didn't already know, you can encode video and audio into FLV beforehand to get true stereo before uploading to YouTube and it remains in stereo, rather than the crappy mono sound it converts all other audio into.

Youtube: how to get stereo sound and high quality video | New Gadgets by Gixar

wink.gif

-Ed

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #540 of 597
I saw you post on OCAU
wink.gif
I love the RG 570 FM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back