Post Pictures of Your Instrument and more!
May 26, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #512 of 597
No one ever reads these threads anyway, but Flea concert ukulele with solid koa top:

dscn0625.png

dscn0616.png

May 26, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #513 of 597
I should take a picture of my cello at some point, and a really old Violin I took from my grandparents house (they gave it to us) unfortunately over the years it was repaired with some crappy glue, some paint over the wood (brown paint) and homemade pegs pushed really hard into the pegbox so it would need a lot of work, maybe in a few years I will fix it up.

May 27, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #514 of 597
I like a lot of the pianos posted, nice ones guys. I suppose ill post my 1904 mason & hamlin concert grand piano. my brother and i have been playing piano for oh about 12 years or so, so it definitely gets its use.

l3c74c991c47511258c2888sq3.jpg

lfc19a5b71dce90923c8bc3hb5.jpg

it's kind of funny when company is over or when we have it tuned to hear the reactions of it. i guess just growing up with it all the time makes it seem little bit more of the norm than to someone who is just walkin in.

May 27, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #515 of 597
Nice Uke plainsong. It sure does look nice. If it plays the same as it looks, I bet thats once nice uke. Wish I had the spare money to pick one up. I was wondering where you got it.

May 29, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #516 of 597
here are some pics of my other instruments. while not as impressive as my main one lol, i still like em

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

yea, a yamaha from the 1980s haha. i snapped a couple keys off so some of it is held together by scotch and masking tape

PICT0003.jpg

yea, this is a cheapo epiphone les paul special 2 guitar. i had the guitar shown below before this. i wanted to try electric guitar and this was a cheap solution.

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

this is my alvarez guitar. i got it from my parents for christmas. it has a pretty nice rich sound.

PICT0007.jpg

and this is some harmonica my uncle gave me years and years ago. might look pretty banged up, but i can still play piano man and the river intro haha

May 29, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #517 of 597
WHOA. Hello, personal dream gear!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2463813665_6f96b3acf6.jpg

2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard. Honeyburst, non-chambered body.

2463813667_a6e209d6c4.jpg

2000 Gibson ES 446S. Solid carved spruce top, Mahogany back. Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups. Original trapeze tailpiece replaced with a heavy tailpiece from an ES 175.

2463813677_ccddb830ca.jpg

Collings CWmhA. Solid Adirondack Spruce top, Solid Mahogany back and sides. Ebony fingerboard. Based on Clarence White's famous large soundhole dreadnought.

2464680796_bc9898ef00.jpg

2464680800_2313a92013.jpg

1990 Steve Andersen Concert Model. Solid Spruce and Brazilian Rosewood.

May 29, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #519 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This one isn't real yet but I am gonna start building it this weekend:

purpleSxrev.jpg

Any pics of the progress?

May 29, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #520 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
18411469.pianos.jpg

Left to right: 1845 Boisselot, 1836 Erard, 1936 Steinway

I recently started playing the violin again after a several year hiatus (what was I thinking?). I have a very nice violin from a local maker that I've always been quite pleased with. Next up will be a baroque violin at some point.

those are amazing. do you have any more pictures of them? for some reason im fascinated by instruments in the 19th century haha. i think the older the instrument (assuming its still in playable condition of course) the better.

also

does anyone know what a good starting violin would be? i know the vast price range that violins can go up to, however i just want to get my feet wet with maybe an outfit around a couple hundo or so.

May 29, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #521 of 597
Get a Chinese made one. A few hundred dollar violin will be sufficient for learning the basics. Try and find a dealer with a good trade-up policy too. Good luck and have fun
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #522 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a Chinese made one. A few hundred dollar violin will be sufficient for learning the basics. Try and find a dealer with a good trade-up policy too. Good luck and have fun
biggrin.gif

eh there isn't really any sort of dealer in my area, i was thinking more along the lines of a musiciansfriend link hahaha

May 29, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #523 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice Uke plainsong. It sure does look nice. If it plays the same as it looks, I bet thats once nice uke. Wish I had the spare money to pick one up. I was wondering where you got it.

It has the slickest action (not to buzz) that I've ever played on any string instrument. I got it from Flea Market Music, which is the main Fluke and Flea site.

It has that signature loud ringing Flea sound, but, more natural. Clear, bright, and will just go as loud as you want it to go. People look at the price and compare it to a Kala and balk, but this is a different animal. I like it better than the Koaloha soprano I had.

Speaking of Kalas, I picked up this cheap n cheerful tenor. As you can tell, I like the color.
wink.gif

dscn0633.png

dscn0641.png

May 29, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #524 of 597
i'm only doing this 'cause i made this my facebook profile pic a couple days ago so i had a pic handy. it's a nice violin. joseph rocca circa 1860. strings, i just recently changed from infeld red to oliv. i found an old oliv g string in my case and decided hey why not, maybe it works better than i imagine. and OMG so good, gut FTW. so now i'm using oliv rigid thick g, silver oliv d, synoxa a, goldbrokat e (same e-string that heifetz and other good people used).

May 30, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #525 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL! If you're playing with an orchestra, you really shouldn't be using gut strings! Use bright strings like Enfield Blue, Pirastro Evah Pirazzi or even Dominants!

Sorry I have to correct this, gut strings like Oliv actually project extremely well and you can draw a lot more colour out of them. It does force you to play a lot with arm weight, though. I love how you can just sink into the oliv G with all your weight and it won't complain.
smily_headphones1.gif

The downsides: they're expensive, and are easily affected by weather. Lots of the top soloists use Oliv G and D on their Strads or Del Gesus. Hardly anybody uses the Oliv A because it sucks. Perlman was the first big name soloist to switch to Dominant, i.e. the first to guy to move off of gut-core. I'm not a fan of the synthetics from Pirastro. I find Evah to be loud and bright, but the timbres and colours you can draw out of them isn't all that interesting. One or two top soloists are known to be using Evahs right now, though, so I guess it works for some. Obligato are weird strings, I think they only work on really bright instruments. I still prefer Dominant to anything from Pirastro, apart from the Synoxa A I'm using right now with bottom two Olivs - blends extremely well, very good combination that's worked on previous violins I've had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back