Post Pictures of Your Instrument and more!
Mar 11, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #481 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen a few like that, and those handles can be retro-fitted to horns fairly easily. (I'd imagine that's what the "custom" part of the horn's name refers to).
.... lest it messes with the acoustic.

The custom refers to the fact that the horn was completely made by hand ( as an example of what the model should be) and it shows in the workmanship and simply the way the whole thing plays. It isn't squirelly and has really wide range without the typical Kruspe bloat. The bore size is a .472 (as opposed to teh much more popular .468) and still the high range is very easy and secure while I have yet to find the limit of the low range. My only real limit is myself.
rolleyes.gif

The strap does not mess with the acoustic and is awesome for those big Wagner pieces or the Planets when you just need that extra bit of security when you have to play almost side-belled!
biggrin.gif
You know, I have played the schmid and paxman triples and could not justify the cost. I have tried many Hoyers that are brand new and play like they desperately need a valve job. The Lawsons are just sweet though! Pinzka as well! The Wes Hatch just are like a holtonized Geyer....not for me.

Mar 11, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #482 of 597
I might have a think about a strap, but I've never had any problems with the horn feeling unsecure, in my hand (maybe that's a sign that I've been playing the same one for long enough).

Yeah, when I bought my horn I went to paxmans and tried one or two, before realizing that they were way WAY out of my price-range, some nice alex's and I think a schimdt. When I played the yamaha though, it all just felt "right", and I preferred it to anything else I played. (probably just as well, it was a bargain too, ex-dem so I got it for half list price!)

Mar 12, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #483 of 597
DSCN2794.jpg

My electric guitar. Fender MIM Stratocaster (~7 years old), Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge, locking tuners (I forget what brand). It looks crappy to most people, but I really love this thing. It has put up with a lot and behaved nicely during shows. I set it up like twice a year and that keeps it sounding and playing great.

DSCN2800.jpg

My steel-string acoustic. Fender GDC-200. It's a concert size and it sounds great with fingerpicking, but it lacks a lot in the bass department when strumming so I am a little disappointed.

My electric bass is at my parent's house, as is my drum set. My girlfriend's two acoustics and electric guitar don't really count as mine, so I'm not going to post pictures of those.

I have seen a lot of classical instruments in this thread. I don't know much about them but they definitely all look amazing. I used to play clarinet but that thing is long gone. It was some really cheap student model anyway, probably..

Mar 13, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #484 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is called a Clebsch Strap.

Thanks for the info, I had never seen one or heard of one before. Now I get to bug the horn players here as to why they don't have them.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #486 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Larsens just wouldn't hold their pitch and I had to retune more times than I can remember. It was mainly the A which kept going flat.

Thats why I like my cello, even though it is just a beginners cello that is a few years old

It gets bumped around in its case all the time, we have had a few 30 degree weather swings, among other things and it rarely goes out of tune, and when it does it is maybe half a fine tuner turn out of tune
smily_headphones1.gif

Very beautiful violin, it reminds me of 'Charles' which is the 100+ year old violin of my friend

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #488 of 597
^^
What is that?
redface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats why I like my cello, even though it is just a beginners cello that is a few years old

It gets bumped around in its case all the time, we have had a few 30 degree weather swings, among other things and it rarely goes out of tune, and when it does it is maybe half a fine tuner turn out of tune
smily_headphones1.gif

Very beautiful violin, it reminds me of 'Charles' which is the 100+ year old violin of my friend

I figured it has more to do with the actually pegs and peg holes changing size/shape in response to temp/humidity changes than the strings themselves. I brought my violin back to Hong Kong (high humidity) during the Easter holidays and it held its pitch much better than when it's in Edinburgh (low humidity). This makes sense as the wood takes in moisture and expands in humid air.

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #489 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^
What is that?
redface.gif

It's a kalimba or thumb piano made by Goshen Art School in Morgantown, WV. It has a black walnut top and gourd bottom. It's tuned to C major, but can be retuned by sliding the tines in or out. You play it by plucking the tines with your thumb. Because of the size of the gourd, it's pretty loud. My hard of hearing wife can hear it.

Apr 22, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #491 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my latest:

dscn0593.png

(Pono solid mahogany tenor ukulele)

It certainly looks nice. How are the frets on it? Do they jut out beyond the neck at all?

Apr 22, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #492 of 597
No, and apparently the first one that I was going to get did have that and a resulting buzzing issue. Luckily because I bought from Musicguymic, he checks this stuff, and so he went to the Ko'olau factory and got one without issues.
smily_headphones1.gif

And so this one is without issues, and I'm currently figuring out which strings I prefer on them. I've got aquilas (high G) on now, which I like more than the Ko'olau golds. I'll try some Low G Worths on the Pono once my concert koa Flea gets here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #493 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It certainly looks nice. How are the frets on it? Do they jut out beyond the neck at all?

I'm curious what you're talking about here. Unless "fret" means something different on a ukelele, don't they have to jut out beyond the neck?

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #494 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious what you're talking about here. Unless "fret" means something different on a ukelele, don't they have to jut out beyond the neck?

When I say fret I mean the little metal things that divide up the neck.
Some Uke's I've tried are utter junk because the frets jut out way beyond the neck. You run your hand up and down the neck a few times and you're all cut up. They aren't even rounded, they are left sharp.

Oh, I'm talking about the side of the neck.......... that must be where the confusion is.

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #495 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some Uke's I've tried are utter junk because the frets jut out way beyond the neck. You run your hand up and down the neck a few times and you're all cut up. They aren't even rounded, they are left sharp.

How are you supposed to play like that?
eek.gif

That is way beyond just being junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back