Post Pictures of Your Instrument and more!
Mar 5, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #466 of 597
Mar 5, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #467 of 597
My bass and me, last Saturday at a gig...

IMG_1147-800.jpg

Mar 11, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #469 of 597
My euphonium - Mirafone 1258
IMG_0546.jpg

My piano - Story & Clark, I don't know the model. It was purchased sometime in the 50s or 60s, I think that my mom might still have the reciept, it used to be hers.
IMG_0549.jpg

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #471 of 597
Nice pianos you have there.

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #472 of 597
This is my Yamaha 668D Semi-custom. This was a display example model used in trade shows ( as an example of the best of the model), which explains why it is just sooo much better than any other 668 I have ever tried ( about 20 - and it still blows them out of the water). I had a pro offer me double what I paid...but no go... it would just be another for his vast collection of Paxmans, Lawsons, Vintage Alex...etc... ( did get to borrow those while he played mine though!).
Here is me right before my final concert in the EYSO (high school).
hornplayerdd7.jpg

I have since switched to a different and bigger mouthpiece given to me by the Gale Williams (considered among the very best horn players alive today). The one in that pic just did not give me the proper low range sound, but it was wayyy more effiecient. I have about 12 different mouthpieces and only ever use two of them....

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #476 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I played french horn and mellophone up until highschool. It really strengthened my lungs.

edit: malta what music do you play?

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #478 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my Yamaha 668D Semi-custom. This was a display example model used in trade shows ( as an example of the best of the model), which explains why it is just sooo much better than any other 668 I have ever tried ( about 20 - and it still blows them out of the water). I had a pro offer me double what I paid...but no go... it would just be another for his vast collection of Paxmans, Lawsons, Vintage Alex...etc... ( did get to borrow those while he played mine though!).

I have never seen a horn with a handle like that built into it, that is really awesome.

Mar 11, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #479 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuckymucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never seen a horn with a handle like that built into it, that is really awesome.

It is called a Clebsch Strap. It is a pice of dual sided leather with a handle built in and velcro closure. It is attached to the horn via a soldered on post near the pinky hook. I personally kept my pinky hook, but many people install the strap and take the hook off. It is MUCH more comfortable than the flipper or duck's foot supports as this actually takes the weight off of your fingers (so you can play faster) and allows you to support with your arms. I personally do not believe in having the horn rest on your thigh or hip as it completely deadens the sound. You loose the high tones. I was able to solder mine on myself, but othewise the setup of the whole thing could end up being $100 for the strap ($60 +shipping) and putting it on ($30).

Mar 11, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #480 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuckymucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've seen a few like that, and those handles can be retro-fitted to horns fairly easily. (I'd imagine that's what the "custom" part of the horn's name refers to).

I've been considering getting a ducks-foot fitted to my horn (a metal and plastic arrangement, welded above where the hand goes, and acting to take pressure off in teh same sort of way) but the leather grip-guard on mine seems to do the trick, and I'm scared to play with it, lest it messes with the acoustic.

EDIT: ah, beaten to it by quite some margin, that'll teach me to nip off for a coffee mid head-fi session

EDIT2: Realised I haven't actually shared any pictures of my own instrument.

It's also a Yamaha, a 667V, which I have had for quite a few years now. Un-lacquered, which is why it looks like it's been around the block a few times, but I like the way it looks, and certainly LOVE the warmth that the lack of lacquer adds to the tone. Seeing her (it) in pictures makes me realise how minging the metal just below the leather hand-guard is... may need to give that a bit of attention.
DSCF1558.jpg

Here's a closeup of the beautiful valve-caps. I love the way these things look...
DSCF1560.jpg

I play with a Paxman Halstead Chiddell mouthpiece, which I am thinking about changing for one with a slightly larger cup, but as I never change mouthpieces, my face is VERY used to this one, and I don't want to unsettle things too much. (I have a performance of Strauss 1 with the orchestra coming up in a month or so, and really don't want to be messing with mouthpiece choices for the gig)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back