Post Pictures of Your Instrument and more!
Mar 30, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #181 of 597
All the beautiful guitars make me want to take up the guitar... How much is nice beginner one (eg which models)? How do you start? I'm just enquiring, but might never get around to starting due to various commitments
frown.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #182 of 597
A good beginner guitar starts at $200 and goes on up from there. I'd recommend starting with a nylon string since you already have the calluses from violin for that. Steel string is rough going!!! It also gives you more versatility if you want to just learn chords or if you want to study classical method. The beginning classical guitars that are good are Yamaha, Alverez, or Takamine. The main thing you should be on the lookout for in beginning guitars is if they're solid wood. Make sure it's either a spruce or cedar top.

I want to take better photos of my handmade classical guitar, but I'm still waiting on my digital SLR to arrive
frown.gif
frown.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #184 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBicFlic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could have sworn that was my guitar. I am almost positive mine too is a '63 D-28.

cool...

what's the serial number?

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #185 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
909, I have to say, that Taylor 912-C is stunning! The bridge, the inlay, the overall design, and the back of it just make it simply amazing!

Thanks!
cool.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #186 of 597
My dad just bought me a new blues harp. It's a Lee Oskar, key of A. Really nice harp, I gotta say.

IMG_0303.jpg

For reference, this is the one I was working with before I got the Lee Oskar:

IMG_0306.jpg

And it was free. Didn't last too long, I wore out the reeds quickly, the left bolt fell off, and the outside became really tarnished. The thing is basically fubar at this point.

A is really great key, though. It lends the harp a really full, deep tone. Very good blues sound, in other words, and perfect for E blues, which about half of blues is anyway. But yeah, the new Lee Oskar doesn't leak at all, in fact, it's taken some getting used to because I got used to putting more air pressure into the old Bluesband and it was overblowing the Lee Oskar. It takes almost no air to get the reeds to sound on the Lee Oskar in comparison. The sound is really clean and full comapred to buzzy, bright, and hissy (from air leaking) on the Bluesband.

Overall, it's a great harp to learn on and I'm looking forward to getting better on it.

Mar 30, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #188 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good beginner guitar starts at $200 and goes on up from there. I'd recommend starting with a nylon string since you already have the calluses from violin for that. Steel string is rough going!!! It also gives you more versatility if you want to just learn chords or if you want to study classical method. The beginning classical guitars that are good are Yamaha, Alverez, or Takamine. The main thing you should be on the lookout for in beginning guitars is if they're solid wood. Make sure it's either a spruce or cedar top.

I want to take better photos of my handmade classical guitar, but I'm still waiting on my digital SLR to arrive
frown.gif
frown.gif

Actually from my experience classical guitars are a bit difficult for beginners because of the wider radius. I started off with one and found learning barre chords quite difficult. However if you want to learn Spanish style guitar or classical it's naturally the best option.

A good Takamine with a solid top shouldn't be too expensive.

909: That's quite a guitar collection you have there. I'm jealous.

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #190 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
909: That's quite a guitar collection you have there. I'm jealous.

Thanks and sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are so many different Takamine models!

You should also check out Tacoma Guitars since they are wonderful and reasonably price. I’ve not shopped for a "new" guitar for a very long time, but I would always negotiate 30 – 40 % off their asking price and at least half that when they were “on sale” even amps and other accessories.

If you're serious go to a guitar store and strum a few.

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #191 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually from my experience classical guitars are a bit difficult for beginners because of the wider radius. I started off with one and found learning barre chords quite difficult. However if you want to learn Spanish style guitar or classical it's naturally the best option.

Ah but once you master classical method, rock seems like a peice of cake! Also, I think it's easier to start off with classical if you think you'd eventually like to get into it: as I found it was a lot harder to unlearn regular guitar form to get proper classical form. The left hand in particular is totally different for classical then rock. I really had to grapel with moving my wrist up so that my hand would be perpendicular with the neck of the guitar. I can see now how that makes it easier for your fingers to spread out and to approach each string for techniques such as the barre.

Apr 1, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #194 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah but once you master classical method, rock seems like a peice of cake! Also, I think it's easier to start off with classical if you think you'd eventually like to get into it: as I found it was a lot harder to unlearn regular guitar form to get proper classical form.

I started off with classical then moved to blues/rock/jazz stuff. The classical stuff is still pretty ingrained in me although I hardly listen to any classical music. I remember my first lesson when I was ten years old; learning to sit properly with the headstock at ear level, left elbow out, right wrist ****ed and left foot on the built-for-purpose angulated footstool. How I've fallen since then..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Enough talk... Here are my ladies:

My newest acquisition, the Martin 000-28. I think it's a 2003 model from the serial number. I love this guitar.

My Fender Strat, the blues machine. I'll leave you guitar freaks to guess the model name and year. (hint: pickups aren't stock)

My brother's Takamine AN46; spruce top and rosewood back and sides. It's got quite a nice feel to it and it's got the abalone bling unlike my plain Martin. Good value for money IMO.

Next in line is a ES-335 or a jazz-box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back