Post Pictures of Your Instrument and more!
Jan 26, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #166 of 597
My oldest Gibson (1938 L-7) with lucious sounding X-bracing
tongue.gif

37_l7.jpg

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #167 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My oldest Gibson (1938 L-7) with lucious sounding X-bracing
tongue.gif

Looks absolutely pristine! Beautiful finish and detail.

I think my L5 is circa 1933. Note the tapered head, "The Gibson" flower inlay, "triangular neck"... (original nitrocellulose faux tortoise pick guard disintegrated years ago -- and luckily didn't explode or burst into flames!)

L5_TheGibson_7x10-72b_1262.jpg

L5_Frt_7x10-72_1275.jpg

L5_Hd2Body_7x10-72_1309.jpg

L5_SdBtm1_7x10-300_1307.jpg

L5_Back_7x10-72_1328.jpg

Mar 29, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #169 of 597
Oops, I was reminded of this thread by the recently started repost thread, and read through and saw I forgot to reply, many months ago.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Points taken. Gold E strings, such as the one I'm using (Pirastro Olive Gold E) are not THAT expensive though and the tone is noticeably rounder and less metallic. That said, gold E strings only last as long as the gold plating. When the gold plating wears of, you're left with a steel string
biggrin.gif
My fingers don't get too sweaty, so the gold takes ages to rub off
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh no, I tried a gold string again and found it to sound much less metallic than the steel version. But the gold still comes off after 3-4 weeks, and while it's not much more expensive than the steel version, having to buy that many more in the same amount of time is.
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Even though you didn't like guts strings, you should give the Pirastro Obligato range a try. They're synthetic core strings like the Evah, but have a much warmer sound. Both cost the same.

Perhaps, but I don't like the loss of dynamics I get with gut strings. I don't want to get outplayed by everyone else in the orchestra and/or my accompaniment, I'd feel inferior, and besides, a soloist playing softer than the accompaniment is just wrong.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I only ever use the 2nd and 4th bow from the top. The 4th bow is the new bow. It is less forceful and gives a sweeter tone. The 2nd bow is a much stronger bow, more suitable for more virtuosic works (Ysaye, Paganini, Sibelius, etc...) However, it isn't as balanced and bouncy, making string crossing, spiccato, etc slightly more of a hassle (read more difficult). The 1st and 3rd bow are for back up in case the worse should happen.

My brother just got a new (as in made recently) $3k bow made by an English bow maker. It was a wonderful experience playing with it. Everything seemed much easier, especially up bow staccato, which I have been struggling with. Spiccato and detached notes are more easily controlled, but I didn't hear any major differences in the sound compared to my "new" (not sure of age) $1k bow.

My bow is slightly bottom heavy and smooth, so it's also hard for me to be bouncy, like with spiccato. It actually is brand new (well, from when I got it), French. Sticcato is somewhat easier, as long as my wrist doesn't lock up (were you taught the doorknob image/technique like I was?). Fun when you get it right, though. You are a lucky man to have such a nice violin, and such an assortment of bows to choose from.

EDIT
Does your teacher and Perlman really use Dominants with their respective violins? Amazing; I switched from Dominants to Evahs and noticed a giant improvement.
redface.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #170 of 597
Gee, took a quick gander through the thread, and there seems to be very few bassists (electric) running around Head-Fi! I'm in the process of learning how to play bass, but I haven't touched one in over a year and a half due to being super-busy...

Mar 29, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #172 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't heard him play that … though, actually, there are still quite a good number of his works that I haven't heard. Love Ysaye sonatas (!!!), Brahms with Daniel Barenboim, the Virtuoso solo pieces of course, his master class broadcast on Ovation network, etc.

The Schubert is on his debut album
tongue.gif
Ahh... his Ysaye sonatas are brilliant and so are his Brahms sonatas. I particularly like his Brahms 3rd, Ysaye 2nd and 3rd.

Quote:

I've certainly seen him do some uneven and over the top performances (and sometimes all over the map and off the notes), but controversial and volatile tho' he is, I'll take the flamboyance (plus the great heart and muscular/mind-boggling technique) for the brilliance that often blazes thru, rather than pristine but safe ("correct") that his detractors would prefer. I even enjoyed his experimental interpretation/performance that included contemporary, blazing solid-body electric fiddle and tango (dance) duet, just for his courage to explore, extend and challenge himself.

Technically, he's absolutely incredible. The Last Rose of Summer by Ernst which he played on the debut CD album is one of the most difficult pieces on the violin. On a handful violinists have dared to record it: Vengerov, Midor (Sony), Kremer (only available on DG vinyl). Here are some of his spectacular performances (the first two aren't of much value): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_TkAKMag-w (Bazzini)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeNKiilwpdk (Czardas)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykKw756OXWQ (Sibelius)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJYwvpJ6o4 (Lalo)

My favourite Lalo is Perlman, which IMO is much better than Vengerov's because he overdoes it so much! Fun to watch, but not to really to listen to.

Quote:

Whatever the cognoscenti say about his showmanship and ebullience, I felt in watching his broadcast master class that he was able to actually confer his insights to his students and enable them to understand and play their pieces several levels above where they started, in just a brief session. He is possessed of a genius and great depth of understanding of music. Certainly his style is not suited to every composer, and I don't think I'd love hearing him interpret the Bach Sonatas & Partitas, but that not important. I thoroughly enjoy so much of his works, and his big Russian/global heart.

Hear, hear! His Mozart concertos are very good though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no, I tried a gold string again and found it to sound much less metallic than the steel version. But the gold still comes off after 3-4 weeks, and while it's not much more expensive than the steel version, having to buy that many more in the same amount of time is.
eek.gif

Yes, the gold does wear off and what you're left with is a bog standard steel string
tongue.gif
It shows that you've been playing if you've had to replace them every now and then...

Quote:

Perhaps, but I don't like the loss of dynamics I get with gut strings. I don't want to get outplayed by everyone else in the orchestra and/or my accompaniment, I'd feel inferior, and besides, a soloist playing softer than the accompaniment is just wrong.
icon10.gif

LOL! If you're playing with an orchestra, you really shouldn't be using gut strings! Use bright strings like Enfield Blue, Pirastro Evah Pirazzi or even Dominants!

Quote:

My bow is slightly bottom heavy and smooth, so it's also hard for me to be bouncy, like with spiccato. It actually is brand new (well, from when I got it), French. Sticcato is somewhat easier, as long as my wrist doesn't lock up (were you taught the doorknob image/technique like I was?). Fun when you get it right, though. You are a lucky man to have such a nice violin, and such an assortment of bows to choose from.

Damn it up-bow staccato is so difficult! It apparently comes naturally although you can practise it. Haha doorknob technique! I totally see where you're coming from!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

EDIT
Does your teacher and Perlman really use Dominants with their respective violins? Amazing; I switched from Dominants to Evahs and noticed a giant improvement.
redface.gif

Yup! Strings don't really matter that much when your violin is so great and your skills are so phenomenal!

Mar 29, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #174 of 597
Quote:

OMG this is incredible!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR_oJXyokww

eek.gif
Youtube is my ... reaffirmed best friend.

First time I've seen Zukerman lead (of course that's just the first bit), and the part where Perlman plays his violin like a cello was hilarious as much as it was humbling.
blink.gif
I've done it plenty of times, jokingly, but not in any way that resembled the music I was trying to play. I'll have to watch all of those videos, sometime.

EDIT
And I agree Vengerov can be over the top, sometimes. And I agree it is very fun watching him play; I've got a (the?) DVD of him playing the Sibelius violin concerto, although he isn't very much over the top in that, which is good for me.

Mar 29, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #175 of 597
Vengerov is not in the same class as Perlman though. Just watching Perlman play always makes me cry. He's such a natural at the violin and his personality is great. Have a search on youtube and watch some of his masterclasses. I'd love for him to be my teacher.

This one of Perlman/Zukerman is also beyond great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP3xfi1eHnY

Perlman Intro and Masterclass! INCROYABLE!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVCLJnnxR6M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZs-4ASTitg

Superb playing again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZgpN...elated&search=

Right, that will be the last video I'm going to post. Perlman is my new favourite. Heifetz and Oistrakh NEVER played with such soul and passion. Perlman doesn't play note perfect, but who the hell cares when it's so enjoyable to listen to?

Mar 29, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #176 of 597
Xanadu777 and Romanee--LOVE those old Gibsons! And nice old Martin, 909. Very cool guitars.

I'll post some pix of my guitars soon, too. Nothing quite as cool as these vintage models but I like 'em.

Mar 29, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #177 of 597
Quote:

Vengerov is not in the same class as Perlman though. Just watching Perlman play always makes me cry. He's such a natural at the violin and his personality is great. Have a search on youtube and watch some of his masterclasses. I'd love for him to be my teacher.

Lets not forget the grandfather of all masters....Heifetz. After seeing the youtube performances of Vengerov, I saw some of Perlman and Heifetz. Both Perlman and Heifetz show greater control of the bow. It seems a lot of masters know they're so good, they don't have to showboat....they get to more emmotional music! I think that Heifetz's peformance of Tchaikovsky's violin concerto in particular shows emmotion and mastery of the violin....he's also pretty good with Paganini
tongue.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo0nJ...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFaq9kTlcaY

Mar 29, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #178 of 597
how the heck did i lose track of this thread? awesome additions since i last checked! aw man i have SERIOUS GAS NOW.

Mar 29, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #180 of 597
909, I have to say, that Taylor 912-C is stunning! The bridge, the inlay, the overall design, and the back of it just make it simply amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back