Post counts jumping around again
Aug 27, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #46 of 52
As long as posts talking about post count still count, I'm good.

Aug 28, 2003 at 1:11 PM Post #47 of 52
I am tired of losing post counts numbers.edit; total post count lost = 510 or so
I don't mind that certain forums no longer count.

I will be posting much less than I used to. Since we seem to be going for a more formal approach, I will limit myself to more formal topics. No more "just for the fun of it" posts. Probably no more fun either.

This thread isn't one of the formal threads and this is the last time I post in it.

Aug 28, 2003 at 1:24 PM Post #48 of 52
I lost about 10 posts I think. No big deal
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #49 of 52
I think the useless poster phenomena just killed a fun part of Head-Fi. I did participate in some of the useless threads (which I regret now), but I think more of my post count was lost from the threads that truly belong in Take it Outside (controversial stuff). The Member's Lounge was starting to be overrun by truly inane threads, like "Do you refrigerate your peanut butter?" and "Guess my weight". 8 months ago it was a lot more sane. Take it Outside was a good idea so that those of us who wanted to discuss more controversial topics had a place to do so without iliciting the ire of those who didn't want the Member's Lounge to be a more friendly place. I used to really enjoy discussing non-Head-Fi stuff in the Member's Lounge, but now that it is thrown into a forum called Certifiably Inane, it loses its appeal. And having anything non-Head-Fi related not count towards your post count is a bit strange too. I would think your post count should just reflect the number of posts you made, and it should be the same number of posts shown when you search for a member's posts (except for deleted posts and threads). I really like the community here, but like most people here I have other interests outside of headphone audio, and this used to be more of a community where we could discuss other stuff, but this has cut this out and as Mr. PD said, made this place more formal. This just sucks a lot of the fun out of Head-Fi
frown.gif

Aug 28, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #50 of 52
A prime example of how a few can **** it up for the rest of us. My daily visits have certainly declined due to the useless **** being posted here. Hopefully, it will revert back to a more "tolerable" format, and we will see some quality posts once again. Unlike some others here, I do have a life outside of Head-Fi.

Aug 28, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #51 of 52
Like Mr PD said, I guess the posting for fun and amusement will be reduced some, but I guess the upside is that our post counts will more accurately reflect our participation and contributions to this forum, not the inane banter that goes on far too often here recently.

Somehow I doubt that these changes will suck the fun out of this place. It may shift it over to a new forum, but we are who we are, and no change in policy will make me be more serious in my posts. If they get deleted or don't count do to their rather silly nature, so be it.

I guess this new policy shows us just how important our post count here is to us. If we post just to post, then this will change nothing. If post to watch a number under out name go up some, then that will come thru with this policy change. As Grinch said, quite often we hear from newbies with a lot more to say than someone like myself with more than a few thousand posts. This will make the power balance shift towards those with things to say that are worthwhile to the content of this site and its purpose. The member's lounge and TIO were added to give us a place to express things not related to anyother section here, and have really taken on a life of their own. Now it seems like we have members who's purpose is to fill these added sections with things totally unrelated to this site's mission and intent. While this may be fine and dandy, having it lend credence to their opinions and participation in the actual threads that fulfill the site's intent is quite contradictory. Let's face it, far too often a newb joins and asks a question, and listens to people solely due to their post count. If half of their posts are inane, what service are we providing to these people?

Aug 28, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #52 of 52
I agree that head-fi was plenty of fun before useless posts were introduced. And I don't see why those who enjoy useless posting can't have just as much fun in their own forum. It is still the same community.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back