Post counts jumping around again
Aug 26, 2003 at 7:04 PM Post #31 of 52
I keep losing posts
mad.gif
I like being in the 2200's.
tongue.gif

Aug 26, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #32 of 52
Ah, the occasional agreement with Jude by Kelly rears its ugly head.

Actually, I'd say let's put a vote next to each post and let them decide whether a thread has value. If not, it is deleted, the post is removed from the user's post count and an electric charge is dispersed to the user. Yeah, use the taser. The taser.

Aug 26, 2003 at 7:11 PM Post #33 of 52
there actually is a forum to which i go that uses such a system. i'll try to figure out the name of the software they run.

Aug 26, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Posts in Take It Outside no longer count toward post totals.

That explains a lot about Mr. PD's post count dropping so much. Man, every time they move a thread from Member's Lounge to TIO your count drops. Mr "lives to take it outside" lost so much for this reason.

Aug 26, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #36 of 52
because it will henceforth be known as the "take it outside/where useless posters go to die" forum.

Aug 26, 2003 at 8:33 PM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

Actually, I'd say let's put a vote next to each post and let them decide whether a thread has value. If not, it is deleted, the post is removed from the user's post count and an electric charge is dispersed to the user. Yeah, use the taser. The taser.

Well, for obvious reasons that would be a bad idea in Outside...

Though I could see it working in the normal forums; it still has a few issues though:

a) What about posts that have value to a very small subset of Head-Fi users, such as reviews of highly esoteric cables (VD Nite anyone?), or even Jatinder's question about tuberolling his Orpheus? Simply because they don't appeal to the "masses" (that is to say, those who are not crazy enough to pay for $1500/m cables or $15k headphone systems) , does not mean that they do not have value...

b) Why is it necessary? A thread with little value to the Head-Fi userbase will take up a negligible amount of space on the Head-Fi server; on the order of a few hundred or thousand bytes. Why should it be removed, when it will fall from view in a few hours?

Aug 26, 2003 at 9:15 PM Post #39 of 52
eric
We'll have to agree to disagree on the value of the VD Nites thread.

But if you're opposed to deleting the posts, fine--I'd be happy with just the electric shock.

Aug 26, 2003 at 9:17 PM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
ooh fu...
eek.gif

I gained posts back, i won't celebrate twice my 940th
frown.gif

i'd never seen mr. rogers so happy.

Aug 26, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
eric
We'll have to agree to disagree on the value of the VD Nites thread.

But if you're opposed to deleting the posts, fine--I'd be happy with just the electric shock.

LOL!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, I meant the Nite thread as an example... whether or not it actually had any value, well, the jury's still out on that one
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
Says YOU! That is easy for a guy to say that has as many posts as you do.

EDIT, I just lost 25 more
confused.gif

You are kidding, right? Maybe I should have said "after 1500" (Supremus). oh, you're over your limit.
biggrin.gif
<moderators - you can reset my post count to 1500 and leave it there forever.>

I think that shifting the useless posts into the TIO is great. They can be easily ignored when someone is doing serious contemplation, and easily responded to when one needs comedic relief from the slings and arrows of verbal combat.

Since the TIO correspondents already know that their post count is not likely to go up, one can safely assume that they do honestly want to engage in meaningful dialogue.

Now as useless poster, are you more or less likely to post a useless post if you know that it will not increase your post count AND it will likely be NOT read because serious discussions are taking place elsewhere? I surely would not want to crap a heated debate with a useless post.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 27, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #45 of 52
just looking at each forum's number of posts, i see that the headphone forum is the only one that's bigger than the member's forum. this makes me think that a lot of people come here for the atmosphere as oppose to being in the hobby. i'm not judging whether or not that's good or bad, but i do find it interesting.

i think many users know by now that post count really doesn't matter. i find that some people with lots of posts don't have a clue as to what they are talking about (like myself), and once in a while you see a user with a post count of 30 say something that is truly awesome and great for the discussion.

err anyway, this thread sort of brought up an interesting idea to me. why is take it outside the only forum where posts don't count? why don't gear for sale and the meeting forums fall victim to the same feat? i don't see how take it outside posts shouldn't be counted, when users get their count hightened with posts in the buyer/seller feedback forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back