Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Aug 6, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2,191 of 5,383
Thanks, I appreciate it. Last night I increased the distance between the speakers and placed them closer to the walls.

The reason I placed them closer is to get some help with the low frequencies from the boundary effect. My room has the ability to absorb massive amounts of bass so this is one area I need to optimize. To me it still sounds fine with good imaging but has better bass response, close to being even with the rest of the spectrum. I also have tons of room treatment material and I will be experimenting with some of that as well.

I am open to suggestions of course. I haven't been in the speaker club for very long and this is my first dedicated listening space.

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2,192 of 5,383
Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate it. Last night I increased the distance between the speakers and placed them closer to the walls.

The reason I placed them closer is to get some help with the low frequencies from the boundary effect. My room has the ability to absorb massive amounts of bass so this is one area I need to optimize. To me it still sounds fine with good imaging but has better bass response, close to being even with the rest of the spectrum. I also have tons of room treatment material and I will be experimenting with some of that as well.

I am open to suggestions of course. I haven't been in the speaker club for very long and this is my first dedicated listening space.

Understood.  But, just for fun, you might try them out into the room about 5-6' from the rear wall, if you can, and spread them wide but not so wide as to leave a hole in the middle of the soundstage, and you might get the Big Picture, something mini-monitors really excell at.

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #2,193 of 5,383
Here's a few basic set up methods.

http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_main.php

I recall starting with the rule of thirds and equilateral triangle, then moving things around.  Near field was cool too, set up on the wide wall.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #2,194 of 5,383

R.I.P Mr. Duke.  My favorite jazz fusion player of all time.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #2,195 of 5,383
@bbophead
beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #2,198 of 5,383
Quote:

I have limited space in this room. 5'-6' would literally be in the center of the room. Last night I did increase the distance between the speakers and brought them away from the wall a few inches. Right now I'm close to an equilateral triangle setup. It seems like each adjustment I do yields huge differences. A big improvement in this case. Massive soundstage boost and much more even and deep bass reproduction. No frequency seems to be favored.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #2,199 of 5,383

Philips AF-777 turntable from 1979. it's automatic and plays 33's and 45's, although sometimes it ****s up on the 45s, it'll spin too slow/erratically. have no idea what it could be, but it plays LPs fine.

bought it for 25 dollars at a local record store

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #2,201 of 5,383
I haven't had a turntable in my listening rig in some time as I moved in with the girlfriend and kids. I am however headed to my storage tonight to grab a turntable or 2 and add it to my head-fi rig. No room for the maggies here hence becoming a headphone addict.  I just am still a bit worried about the kids and my VPI traveler/Sound-smith Carmen and might just bring back the Philips GA312 with AT95E. Mostly I just need to get my records out of storage as it is quite hot here! I will post a new photo when I get which ever one set up later! 

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,202 of 5,383
Aug 7, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #2,203 of 5,383

http://www.thrillist.com/own/nation/mcintosh-mt5-precision-turntable-retro-music-player-reboot-provides-vinyl-enthusiasts-chance-to-wax-nostalgic?ir=welcome&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thrillist

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #2,204 of 5,383

Users who are viewing this thread

Back