Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Aug 8, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #2,206 of 5,383
Aug 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2,207 of 5,383
Scored some new "Toys" for my vinyl rig.
Stunning little Sonus Faber Toy Monitors.

Modified Rega P2/Benz Micro Silver > (1974) Pioneer SA-7100  > SF Toy Monitors

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #2,209 of 5,383
Quote:
Wonderful.

How do they sound that close to the wall, and how big is your space?

They are in a small office, 10" from the wall, but near field listening and coping well.
I broke them in in the big room and they are amazing for their size 3' from the walls on heavy 26" stands (if you are into small monitors, which I am). If you spread them wider than your listening position you get both the wide sound stage and a little bass boost from the walls. These replaced Rogers LS3/5a that I had for 25+ years and I am VERY happy!

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #2,210 of 5,383
A view from the top..............

Aug 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #2,215 of 5,383
Quote:
They are in a small office, 10" from the wall, but near field listening and coping well.
I broke them in in the big room and they are amazing for their size 3' from the walls on heavy 26" stands (if you are into small monitors, which I am). If you spread them wider than your listening position you get both the wide sound stage and a little bass boost from the walls. These replaced Rogers LS3/5a that I had for 25+ years and I am VERY happy!

LS3/5a was and still is a great speaker - terribly hard to drive, but ultimately great. One of the fondest adio memories of mine. How do the small Sonus Faber compare ?

BUT - TT and CD on the very same shelf as speakers is a no go. You could mount some mini stands on the rear wall, just enough to raise the speakers an inch or so above the shelf - should bring marked improvement to the sound without affecting your present speaker positioning too much.

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #2,216 of 5,383
Quote:
LS3/5a was and still is a great speaker - terribly hard to drive, but ultimately great. One of the fondest adio memories of mine. How do the small Sonus Faber compare ?

BUT - TT and CD on the very same shelf as speakers is a no go. You could mount some mini stands on the rear wall, just enough to raise the speakers an inch or so above the shelf - should bring marked improvement to the sound without affecting your present speaker positioning too much.

They are both great little speakers. The SF are more natural sounding, the LS3/5a more "magical".
I only sold my LS3/5a because they were getting old and a collector offered me more than I could refuse = enough to buy the Sonus Fabers AND eventually a new pair of Stirling LS3/5a V2. Unfortunately at today's prices the vintage LS3/5a are quite dear.

I selected these Sonus Faber because these are one of the last models designed by Franco Serblin before he sold the company and also the last "entry level" model to be made in Italy. Only made for 2-3 years (5000 pair) before new owners realized it was too expensive to produce in Italy and launched new made in China entry line.
The workmanship and materials are tremendous and I would rather "look" at these then most any other mini monitor. 

The Turntable is actually isolated from the speakers - no speaker on same case as TT - but the CD player is on an isolation platform on the same bookcase as one speaker.
The left speaker is on it's own case.

Shelves won't work as the little speakers are actually 10" deep and 10" from wall so a shelf would have to be 20" deep!
This set is in my office for background listening, so it's fine as long as the TT is not coupled to the speakers. 
With good stands, the vintage Pioneer amp and Rega TT, this would be a great system for a small listening room.

And a TT pic to compensate for the long post:

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #2,217 of 5,383
Quote:
You could mount some mini stands on the rear wall, just enough to raise the speakers an inch or so above the shelf 

Instead of mounting the speakers I'd try the Rega turntable shelf.
I'd get one of these if I could commit to locating my TT and not moving it!

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #2,218 of 5,383
Quote:
Quote:
You could mount some mini stands on the rear wall, just enough to raise the speakers an inch or so above the shelf 

Instead of mounting the speakers I'd try the Rega turntable shelf.
I'd get one of these if I could commit to locating my TT and not moving it!

Looks similar to my original Target.  I read somewhere that the current Target wall shelf mounts are not as robust.  Love them there headlights, tho'!

Mine with my old Oracle now replaced with RP6 bolted to the studs.

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #2,219 of 5,383
Quote:
Looks similar to my original Target.  

The difference is the Rega has no shelf just 3 x platforms/cups aligned to the 3 x feet on all standard Rega plinths.

As such arguably "better" for Rega but useless for other TTs, unless one added a shelf...

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #2,220 of 5,383
Quote:
Quote:
Looks similar to my original Target.  

The difference is the Rega has no shelf just 3 x platforms/cups aligned to the 3 x feet on all standard Rega plinths.

As such arguably "better" for Rega but useless for other TTs, unless one added a shelf...

Yeah, I've been missing that bass between 20 and 21HZ. 
biggrin.gif
  But, where's that delightful, yet scary, wall paper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back