Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
May 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #1,756 of 5,380
Quote:
Well, MusicDirect sells the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon + Ortofon 2M Red for $399. That's the no muss, no fuss way to go. In that price range I of course would buy used/vintage direct drive and a better cartridge, but you have to do your own cartridge set up then.

+1.

In general, you can get better overall performance from vintage gear vs "new age" - IF you can do basic maintenance and proper cartridge setup yourself. That "IF"
assumes you have alignment tool(s) , a test record, a tracking force gauge - to stay at bare necessities. You will ( have to ) get those at one point or another if you will be continuing using vinyl - but if funds are strictly limited and if you prefer or even demand plug and play version at present, a basic "new age" TT is perhaps more reasonable choice. Projects, Regas, MMFs in your price bracket. Sometimes bundles with good cartridges are available - always worth checking out before pulling the trigger.

May 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #1,757 of 5,380
Quote:
My friend needs a turntable recommendation with a hard limit of $450

IMO the Rega RP1 is the best at that price. That's what I bought for my Dad to replace his old Thorens.
The Denon DP300F is a surprising good rig as well. One benefit is that it has a built in phono-pre-amp that one can bypass.
The included cartridge is not great but Needle Doctor sells it set up with the excellent Ortofon 2M Red.
http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DP300F-with-2M-Red-Package?sc=9&category=-109

May 13, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #1,758 of 5,380
+1 on an RP1.

Quote:
IMO the Rega RP1 is the best at that price. That's what I bought for my Dad to replace his old Thorens.
The Denon DP300F is a surprising good rig as well. One benefit is that it has a built in phono-pre-amp that one can bypass.
The included cartridge is not great but Needle Doctor sells it set up with the excellent Ortofon 2M Red.
http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DP300F-with-2M-Red-Package?sc=9&category=-109

May 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #1,759 of 5,380
My friend needs a turntable recommendation with a hard limit of $450
I recently purchased a pro-ject rm 1.3 genie on the for sale forums. Paired with my grado platinum it is amazing but a little out of your price range. But if buy used and get something like the grado black (I'm kind of a grado fanboy) you could stay in your price range and have a great set up. Mine blows my vintage technics out of the water to my ears. Anyway that's my 2 cents. Good luck

May 14, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #1,760 of 5,380
Quote:
My current favorite clear vinyl:

OH MY GOD, YES!!!!!!!!!!!! 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #1,761 of 5,380
It's back! Sneak preview:

Not pictured: Strobe disabler, "Super low noise" Cardas arm re-wire.

Gonna be a few more days until it's fully set up and going, plus I need to get my record cleaning machine back first as I lent to a friend.

May 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #1,762 of 5,380
Quote:

Gonna be a few more days until it's fully set up and going, plus I need to get my record cleaning machine back first as I lent to a friend.

beerchug.gif

Can't wait for you to get it "Dialed-in" again! I too, have the Cardas re-wire for my TT. 
wink_face.gif

May 15, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #1,763 of 5,380
Quote:

Which Grado did you end up with - Black to get to know the family sound ?

May 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #1,764 of 5,380
Quote:
Which Grado did you end up with - Black to get to know the family sound ?

No, I went for the "Red1 model is selected from the Blue1 production run and meets higher test specifications. Approximately 10% of the production run will meet these standards and become Red1 models". I decided I wanted to have a "culled" rather than a "sub-par" model, as the Silver1 is the 95% that supposedly weren't good enough to be Gold1s. Also the Red/Blue is the same construction as the Silver/Gold with the 4-piece cantilever, the only difference is that the Silver/Gold use UHPLC wire and the Red/Blue use standard OFC.

By this logic, I would have opted for the Green over the Black for $20 (15% culled). However I feel I will be getting an honest sampling of the best of the Grado Prestige line by going for the 4-piece cantilever. If I like it quite a bit, I will be back to the dilemma of choosing between the KAB Gold1 and the AVA Longhorn. If I'm not crazy about it I have that Dynavector in my sights, but with the new arm and mods in place I am also looking forward to giving the 103R/AU-300LC another shot as well.

The Red1 is $60 more than the Green1, but $80 less than the Gold1 and after spending way too much time thinking about it I felt it was the best value in the Prestige Lineup. Perhaps it's worth $80 for the better wire, but that would be one of the differences when I upgrade anyways.

I am $pent ATM anyways so the Denon and the Red will have to do for a while regardless.

May 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #1,765 of 5,380
Quote:

I've got to look into this. I have a 1200MK2 that has had very little use and is boxed up and in my closet. I bought it new in 2009 for $330 from Amazon. Time to give it new life.

May 21, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #1,766 of 5,380
May 22, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #1,769 of 5,380

I can't believe that I was thinking of selling this table. I used to doubt how much of a difference the cartridge can make but I sold my old Dual and the cheap AT70 went with it. I was able to snag this Nagaoka MP150 off Ebay for about $100 and wow. The old cliche "I'm hearing more in my music" is true to a degree; but the difference is more in presentation. The music is more solid, more fleshed out, and coherent. I had tried a Goldring 1042 before and found it worse than the AT70 hence my skepticism. From here on out I think I'll stick to the Moving Iron carts. :regular_smile :

Users who are viewing this thread

Back