Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Aug 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #736 of 5,380
Quote:
Right around $230 for a Dust Cover. I wouldn't go buying a new TT just for a friggin dust cover. It the grand scheme of things it's not that much and chances are your new table wouldn't be up to snuff...but you'd have a dustcover...

Check Audiogon. That's where I'll be getting mine when my Notts comes in.

Well the idea is that the dust cover would give me an excuse to upgrade 
wink.gif

But that's not in the cards right now.  I'm pretty happy with the Emotion and the Grado Sonata1, so why try and fix what isn't broken?  I should just buy stock in the company that makes Swiffers.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #738 of 5,380
Quote:
Thanks!  The one thing I don't like about most TTs out today is that they don't come with a dust cover.  Dust can be a real PITA when it piles up on the platter and plinth.  Any small gust of wind kicks it all up, and it ends up on the record.  I've actually thought about selling this one and trying out a Rega or Pro-Ject, or even a Music Hall.  I used to own the MMF-5.1 before I got this Clearaudio, and I miss the dust cover greatly.  There are companies that sell custom made dust covers, but the prices last time I looked were around $300, which is absolutely asinine for a clear fiberglass dustcover.  I'll get an entirely new turntable before I spend that much on a dust cover.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VPC5003

I used to have one of these covers. They kind-of work. Looks like it would fit your rig?

Here is a VPI cover on another table.

80 bucks maybe less?

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #739 of 5,380
I don't see how a dust over that is open front and back is going to be very effective, honestly.

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #741 of 5,380
2X

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #742 of 5,380
Quote:
I don't see how a dust over that is open front and back is going to be very effective, honestly.

It actually worked really well, stopping about 95% of the dust. VPI sells whole clear boxes but they are more $.

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #743 of 5,380
Yeah I have a Gingko Audio dust cover for my VPI. Yes, it was relatively expensive (although not really in the context of that turntable), but it does the job extremely well.

DSC02172.jpg

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #744 of 5,380
Quote:
Yeah I have a Gingko Audio dust cover for my VPI. Yes, it was relatively expensive (although not really in the context of that turntable), but it does the job extremely well.

That's a really nice dust cover.  That looks like the same kind they had for my Clearaudio 'table, can't remember the brand.  But I believe it was around $300.  I might just have to custom make one myself.

Redcar, the one you showed from Audio Advisor looks decent too, but I'm also a bit skeptical like Skylab.  But hey, it couldn't be any worse than *not* having any dust cover at all, that's for sure.

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #745 of 5,380

My humble Oracle MkIII, SME IV arm and wood body Benz cartridge.  This was the very last upgrade done by the late, and ever so great, Brooks Berdan.

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #746 of 5,380
Quote:

My humble Oracle MkIII, SME IV arm and wood body Benz cartridge.  This was the very last upgrade done by the late, and ever so great, Brooks Berdan.

Very nice.  How do you like the SME arm?

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #747 of 5,380
Quote:

Very nice.  How do you like the SME arm?

Love it -- especially after Brooks re-wired in silver.  IMO, it is THE tonearm for this turntable.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #748 of 5,380
not exactly a high class solution, but i saw a turntable in a thrift store for $5 the other day, it looked seriously beat up and crappy...but it did have a dust cover that could be ripped off and placed on a different turntable
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #749 of 5,380
Quote:

Love it -- especially after Brooks re-wired in silver.  IMO, it is THE tonearm for this turntable.

I was curious about the table so googled it.  Didn't realize it was released in 1989; that's pretty amazing.  It looks way ahead of its time.  I've been pretty happy with my Clearaudio setup (had this table since early 2009), but there are just so many darn tables, arms, and carts out there to try.  Can't help but always be curious.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #750 of 5,380
Anyone have recommendations for cheap dust covers for my technics SL-1600? By cheap I mean like $20-$30?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back