Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Aug 12, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #706 of 5,373
Quote:
Gaaaaaaahhhhh.... the suspense is killing me. I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of my TD-145 
biggrin.gif

Waiting is the fun!

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #709 of 5,373
Look what showed up on my doorstep today... 
biggrin.gif

Needs a little cleaning (edit: and a new belt), but it sounds incredible

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #711 of 5,373
Quote:
Looks very nice. Congrats!

Thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Sounds like this arm is a better match for the M97 than the PL-518, to my ears. Next step is hopefully a Grado Reference Platinum (when the money supply allows it, of course).

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #713 of 5,373
Quote:
What do you hear that makes it better?

Sound is much more open. Switching the cart to the PL-518 almost sounds muddy by comparison (although the difference isn't huge, but it's noticeable). It just seems like the lower-mass of the Thorens tonearm really makes the M97 come alive.

edit: Note to self: don't attempt written communication without your morning coffee

Aug 15, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #714 of 5,373
Quote:

Sound is much more open. Switching the cart to the PL-518 almost sounds muddy by comparison (although the difference isn't huge, but it's noticeable). It just seems like the lower-mass of the Thorens tonearm really makes the M97 come alive.

edit: Note to self: don't attempt written communication without your morning coffee

Cool, I'm glad to hear you like it and it was a step up for you! Enjoy!

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #715 of 5,373
Aug 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #716 of 5,373
Quote:

Thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Sounds like this arm is a better match for the M97 than the PL-518, to my ears. Next step is hopefully a Grado Reference Platinum (when the money supply allows it, of course).

If you can't afford the Platinum, the Sonata is still pretty good.  That's what I have on my table.  Haven't heard the Platinum to compare though, but the Sonata has a very rich, lush sound.

Edit: My mistake.  My the word "platinum", I just assumed it was above the Sonata!  Anyhow, if the Sonata sounds great, I'm sure the Platinum sounds good as well.  The reviews I read on the platinum in the past were all good.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #717 of 5,373
Well, I didn't know where to post this, but if need be, I'll make a thread.

Just a few moments ago I was setting up to rip a 45 I bought new and have never played before. Everything was swell until the stylus was lowering, but I accidentally had it right off the record, resulting in it dropping into the felt mat for a second. Right after that, it jumped up onto the edge of the record before I pulled it up.

Do you think any damage was done? To my eye (without magnification, which really doesn't help) the stylus looks fine, but I want to be sure before I go ruining my beloved vinyl. I played a record I don't care about much, and it sounded fine...

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #718 of 5,373
You should be fine. Just make sure the cantilever and suspension are still fine. If it's sagging or loose, you may want to replace the stylus. Get a jewelers loupe at least and see if the tip is OK. I've had something similar happen to me but the stylus was just fine. :)

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #719 of 5,373
Quote:
You should be fine. Just make sure the cantilever and suspension are still fine. If it's sagging or loose, you may want to replace the stylus. Get a jewelers loupe at least and see if the tip is OK. I've had something similar happen to me but the stylus was just fine. :)

Thank you.

Suspension and cantilever both are fine, nothing different than before. Just searching for something to check out the tip with now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back