Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Dec 1, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #5,297 of 5,380
Technics SL1210GR going to a Denon PMA-A110. Currently have the Denon DL-A110 cart installed. Currently playing through a pair of Warfdale Elysian 2.
Nice rig, have a buddy who loves his 110th Anniversary Denon. He's got the Marantz (Clear Audio) TT-15 and Totem Speakers with those crazy Beak things :rolling_eyes: I'm not really sure what they do (he gets mad at me when I tease him about Snake Oil):grin: however his rig does sound very nice.:beerchug:

Boats Table With 10X5.JPG

I know I've mentioned before I've had some very nice and much more expensive cartridges on my Well-Tempered Amadeus GTA but so far the best sounding one is the $349.00 AT-VM740L Dual MM! I'm for sure sold on Micro Line stylus tips and going to make the Hana M Series Micro Line my next cartridge because I love their green which is on my sons Rega RP8 :v:

AT Tracking.JPG

RP-8 Skeleton.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #5,298 of 5,380
Just a Pro-Ject Carbon Evo with Sumiko Rainier. I mostly stream, but this more than scratches the itch for vinyl. I appreciate how intentional I have to be with vinyl. It is meditative.
I understand. It's tactile. You have to see it, smell it, touch it. But there's more to it.

I played some music yesterday before I told myself I had to ho to bed. In that twilight zone when you had a beer and a light buzz and don't yet want to go to sleep... I played some music by Trevor Horn (great musician and producer in the 80-ies). New interpretations of songs from the 80-ies with famous singers from the era. Very nostalgic (I'm from that era). But the thing is... I kept skipping songs. It sounded really great on my system but, with the app on my phone... why do I have the attention span of a goldfish?

When I play vinyl, for one; it sounds better (objectively) but it also keeps me listening. I played a new record for me, which is as old as me (heck, 7 years older even), a Blue Note classic pure analog remastered by Kevin Grey. 'Somethin' else' by Cannonball Adderley... It's like stepping off a time machine. Like being there.

That's more than just a 'vinyl itch'. That's why I love music and playing music. Not just pandering to nostalgic feeling but being transported in place and time. That is next level.

Dec 2, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #5,299 of 5,380
Just picked up this pickup puppy.

IMG_20231202_193026.jpg

No plastic piece on it. If you discount the carbon fibre underneath. It has a translucent ceramic cantilever. That's why I had to try it. Notice also the silver coils and ebony body. It's a low output, low impedance MC. The stylus shape is hyper elliptical.

I need to play 30 hours with it before I can give a judgement. And guess what. I did not pay $3000 for it. Not $2000, not $1000. This was a spur of the moment buy.

Dec 2, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #5,300 of 5,380
I had to hear it. So I built it in on a spare headshell. On my cheapest arm. I had to take the picture upside down from the other side. Third arm ...
IMG_20231203_033932.jpg

I picked a classical album from a Readers Digest boxset of romantic music 'Sheherazade'. These are really cheap but amazing RCA recordings. De Falla - Three cornered hat (Sombrero de très Picos) and El amor Bruno (the enchanted love).

First second I started playing it already sounded astonishingly good. Straight into the MC input on 47 Ohm. My least favorite option but the most versatile input for switching headshells. I'm now playing via my silver x-former. I don't know what they used for the damper, it looks like transparent silicon, but it sounds good from the start. The ceramic cantilever certainly is very stiff. The nude diamond is glued to the top with a blob of metallic looking glue. I checked the profile with a microscope and it looks pretty sharp. Not a simple elliptical. So the whole thing might not be super light but it certainly is stiff.

The sounds is very open and has a great sense of space and dimension. The sound is very even, balanced and natural. Good microdynamics. The soprano went well with just a hint of stress (I only did sideforce on the fly with thread and weight). Highs are wonderfully smooth and I'm amazed at how quiet the record sounds.

This was a blind buy. After the first model that I knew nothing about. I can buy another one of these for the same money as getting my broken Koetsu retipped. Yet this one is on the same level. Only it's a little less pretty than the Urushi. But the sound is better. (hard to compare from memory but I do not feel I'm missing anything).

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #5,301 of 5,380
I had to hear it. So I built it in on a spare headshell. On my cheapest arm. I had to take the picture upside down from the other side. Third arm ...IMG_20231203_033932.jpg

I picked a classical album from a Readers Digest boxset of romantic music 'Sheherazade'. These are really cheap but amazing RCA recordings. De Falla - Three cornered hat (Sombrero de très Picos) and El amor Bruno (the enchanted love).

First second I started playing it already sounded astonishingly good. Straight into the MC input on 47 Ohm. My least favorite option but the most versatile input for switching headshells. I'm now playing via my silver x-former. I don't know what they used for the damper, it looks like transparent silicon, but it sounds good from the start. The ceramic cantilever certainly is very stiff. The nude diamond is glued to the top with a blob of metallic looking glue. I checked the profile with a microscope and it looks pretty sharp. Not a simple elliptical. So the whole thing might not be super light but it certainly is stiff.

The sounds is very open and has a great sense of space and dimension. The sound is very even, balanced and natural. Good microdynamics. The soprano went well with just a hint of stress (I only did sideforce on the fly with thread and weight). Highs are wonderfully smooth and I'm amazed at how quiet the record sounds.

This was a blind buy. After the first model that I knew nothing about. I can buy another one of these for the same money as getting my broken Koetsu retipped. Yet this one is on the same level. Only it's a little less pretty than the Urushi. But the sound is better. (hard to compare from memory but I do not feel I'm missing anything).
very very interesting. Also in relation to the references cited

Dec 3, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #5,302 of 5,380
I had to hear it. So I built it in on a spare headshell. On my cheapest arm. I had to take the picture upside down from the other side. Third arm ...IMG_20231203_033932.jpg

You do realise that that is THE recording of Scheherazade with Reiner and the CSO. The one that launched a thousand audiophile reissues!

BTW, I’ve just ordered a PCF802 MM phono stage from an enthusiast amp designer in Romania. It’s a very simple, pure design, and is being customised for use with the AT-VM740ML (the “daily driver” on the Garrard). One further advantage: Mullard, Telefunken, Mazda and other nice NOS PCF802s are available cheaply.

The SPU will continue to feed the STM-72 into the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS with aftermarket PSU and NOS Mullard ECC83s…

Should be fun…

Dec 3, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #5,303 of 5,380
You do realise that that is THE recording of Scheherazade with Reiner and the CSO. The one that launched a thousand audiophile reissues!

BTW, I’ve just ordered a PCF802 MM phono stage from an enthusiast amp designer in Romania. It’s a very simple, pure design, and is being customised for use with the AT-VM740ML (the “daily driver” on the Garrard). One further advantage: Mullard, Telefunken, Mazda and other nice NOS PCF802s are available cheaply.

The SPU will continue to feed the STM-72 into the Pro-Ject Tube Box DS with aftermarket PSU and NOS Mullard ECC83s…

Should be fun…
No, it's a boxset from RD performed by the 'RCA Orchestra'. I don't know the director, not famous. Nevertheless it sounds fine. RCA hayday. I wish I had the Reiner... I have an original Beecham, a mono and a stereo, with the gold red sticker.

Show us a picture and some more info when you get the pcf802 amp. It's good to support guys like that

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #5,304 of 5,380
The Beecham is the LP on my avatar picture! You can just about see the gold label… I also have both versions, stereo and mono.

Dec 3, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #5,305 of 5,380
The cream and gold label. Those old labels had something magical. Probably still from the time of 78's where the label was the only information you had. They came in brown plain paper sleeves, but had beautiful labels. A bit of art nouveau heritage.

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #5,306 of 5,380
The cream and gold label. Those old labels had something magical. Probably still from the time of 78's where the label was the only information you had. They came in brown plain paper sleeves, but had beautiful labels. A bit of art nouveau heritage.
Only red label here. ButYes. the charm of old prints. RCA red label. Real. It harks back to the era of the monophonic 78s. And then with Ortofon and Garrard….Analog “another story”

Attachments

• IMG_4172.jpeg
    IMG_4172.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4173.jpeg
    IMG_4173.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Dec 3, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #5,307 of 5,380
I did a comparison between this new cartridge and its rosewood gold sibling that I really like. The only difference is:
1. Ebony red has a ceramic cantilever, tested on EIZZ 9" s-shape+headshell
2. Rosewood gold has a titanium cantilever and no front yoke on Acoustic Signature T2000 silver wired 12".
Same cable etc.

Wow. This was a comparison between arms costing €350 and €3000. The EIZZ is a real overachiever (knife bearing) but it's no match to the Acoustic Signature. More definition, better spatial resolution and better control. This is why I prefer a one piece fixed headshell and single run silver cable.
However; with the ceramic I noticed more bass control and grunt. The less front yoke Ti was lighter toned, airy yet neutral. The ceramic reminded me more of the Koetsu. A bit more body and fullness to voices. It also sounded more to the front and bigger but I think that is due to the looseness of the arm.
I played Dominique Fils Aimee - Three little words.

For a more honest comparison i need to change cartridges. That's not as easy or quick. And the silver wires on the AS T2000 are as thin as a hair. It's a mental challenge.

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #5,308 of 5,380
I did a comparison between this new cartridge and its rosewood gold sibling that I really like. The only difference is:
1. Ebony red has a ceramic cantilever, tested on EIZZ 9" s-shape+headshell
2. Rosewood gold has a titanium cantilever and no front yoke on Acoustic Signature T2000 silver wired 12".
Same cable etc.

Wow. This was a comparison between arms costing €350 and €3000. The EIZZ is a real overachiever (knife bearing) but it's no match to the Acoustic Signature. More definition, better spatial resolution and better control. This is why I prefer a one piece fixed headshell and single run silver cable.
However; with the ceramic I noticed more bass control and grunt. The less front yoke Ti was lighter toned, airy yet neutral. The ceramic reminded me more of the Koetsu. A bit more body and fullness to voices. It also sounded more to the front and bigger but I think that is due to the looseness of the arm.
I played Dominique Fils Aimee - Three little words.

For a more honest comparison i need to change cartridges. That's not as easy or quick. And the silver wires on the AS T2000 are as thin as a hair. It's a mental challenge.
Optimal. Very professional, a lot of effort and good ears. Compliments. Direct “One step” silver cable up to transformers, and fixed head holder can be heard with the same load parameters and the same reading weight. Keep us updated on consolidated sensations.

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #5,309 of 5,380
Well, it's hard to do such a comparison when cartridges are very expensive, you only have one simple turntable, and a preamp that only does the basic thing. I just watched a new video on the tracking angle where Michael Fremer shows the new Jico Seto Hori. I had this on my list when it was €900. The new remodel has an 'integrated' headshell and a beautiful box. It now costs $4000.
SETO-HORI-REMODEL-13-scaled.jpg

It looks like a cobra coming out of a fakirs basket... Very nice. But is it worth the 4x price increase? Let Michael Fremer do the review, he gets the sample for free. I'm not saying he gets to keep it. Sometimes, mostly not. But he gets to test everything he likes.

So why doesn't anybody review an affordable Chinese cartridge? Maybe because if they do, they won't get these free samples offered anymore? Because the new kid on the block doesn't ask these boutique prices? It might surprise some people but Chinese cartridges have been on the market for a while, disguised under new developments bij western brands (Sky Analog, Charisma Audio, Jasmine). And while writing I just found this one: Le Son LS10. With a review on TNT-audio:
https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/leson_ls10_e.html

I saw this new ceramic cantilever already as a cheaper alternative to ruby and saphire, and diamond (all artificial). One was the Charisma Audio Eco. Another was the Excsoni EC-1, a brand that looks like the identical twin of Sky Analog G-1-3 (only it seems they shyed away from the ceramic). I already saw the Excsoni on a Chinese webshop, still $659 + 21% payable to our local regime. The Sky Analog are €1100-2100 (incl 21% VAT) The Le Son looks nicer and is $1260.
Cover-LS10-MKII-1-e1679906112109.jpg

So when I saw the new cartridges on AliExpress with a ceramic cantilever for €305+VAT, what is stopping me? And moreover: it has silver coils instead of copper. So I just bought it so I could test it for myself. I made a new picture trying to get the same angle and soft lighting (using the Cardigans as reflectionscreen). Quite a difficult angle for me with a phone. Look at the similarities. Same form language, same materials, same detail. Look at the tiny brass pin in the front! Conclusion: same manufacturer.
IMG_20231204_211104.jpg

Edit: uploaded a better picture.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #5,310 of 5,380
I saw this new ceramic cantilever already as a cheaper alternative to ruby and saphire, and diamond (all artificial).
I don't think I've seen a good explanation of why ruby & sapphire are even considered premium cantilever materials. They're heavier than boron, and less strong. Perhaps they're more rigid than boron (good), but also more prone to snap? I've also heard examples (Ortofon Kontrapunkt and Cadenza series) where I prefer a good aluminum cantilever to boron, so it's hard to rank these at all. And I have had good experiences with diamond (Koetsu Blue Lace).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back