Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
May 3, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #5,206 of 5,379
thumbnail_IMG_6501.jpg

May 3, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #5,207 of 5,379
My #2 turntable (home-office rig) is now on a newly arrived Townshend Seismic isolation platform. Highly recommend the Townshend! It's the most effective isolation product I've used, and this room is an absolute nightmare torture test for footfalls and feedback issues.

Springs are about the only effective passive method to deal with low frequency energy (at or near the turntable), and this Townshend has the perfect balance of springiness vs. stiffness for its rated load. They're also very well damped, unlike my SOTA's spring suspension, so they don't go hog wild when disturbed. I also braced the rack against the wall, which nicely limits the maximum displacement from footfalls. This room has been quite a challenge for energy management! DSC_1599 - Copy 2.jpg
Very nice. Townshend has always made great products. I had his supertweeters many years ago and remember them fondly. I agree with SOTA. My Cosmos looks like pudding (but it's done that way for the right reasons)

May 3, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #5,208 of 5,379
Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #5,209 of 5,379
May 4, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #5,210 of 5,379
My new baby a 1986 Linn LP12.
The Sondek is such an un-assuming table that sounds awesome:thumbsup:

I used to not be a fan of the Rega's as I always found them a little bright and fast paced especially to something like that Linn 12 but the new RP-8/10 are sweet and the new PSU is spot on for speed. I went from the Ortofon 2M Blue to the Hana Green and really really love it as well the Acetal platter. Of course in a couple years its going with my youngest when he graduates and gets his first place:grin:

Rig Two.JPG

May 4, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #5,211 of 5,379
My #2 turntable (home-office rig) is now on a newly arrived Townshend Seismic isolation platform. Highly recommend the Townshend! It's the most effective isolation product I've used, and this room is an absolute nightmare torture test for footfalls and feedback issues.

Springs are about the only effective passive method to deal with low frequency energy (at or near the turntable), and this Townshend has the perfect balance of springiness vs. stiffness for its rated load. They're also very well damped, unlike my SOTA's spring suspension, so they don't go hog wild when disturbed. I also braced the rack against the wall, which nicely limits the maximum displacement from footfalls. This room has been quite a challenge for energy management! DSC_1599 - Copy 2.jpg

Wow, that's lovely! congrats!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 5, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #5,212 of 5,379
Mind you for Direct Drive Quinto's Grand Class is a beast :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Many a buddy in the Air Force with me had 1200's:grin:

So the craziest thing for me with my Amadeus so far it sounds so good with a $349 cartridge than what came on it! Which was >$1200 :rolling_eyes:

AT Micro Line.JPG

Amadeus GTA 006.jpg

I know one thing it has done is sold me on Micro Line stylus :wink:

LOL, just realized that was way back when I first got the AT VM740ML and still had that lame Q-Up (sorry Q-Up pwners) :flushed: Little Fwend is superior to the Q:thumbsup:

iFwends.JPG

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #5,213 of 5,379

So the craziest thing for me with my Amadeus so far it sounds so good with a $349 cartridge than what came on it! Which was >$1200 :rolling_eyes:

AT Micro Line.JPG
Amadeus GTA 006.jpg

LOL, just realized that was way back when I first got the AT VM740ML and still had that lame Q-Up (sorry Q-Up pwners) :flushed: Little Fwend is superior to the Q:thumbsup:

iFwends.JPG
Excellent looking set up. Is that a delrin platter? I put a Groovetracer delrin platter on my RP6 and it was da bomb.

May 5, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #5,214 of 5,379

Doesn't surprise me to prefer a $350 cartridge over the $1200. With some manufacturers, I find myself gravitating towards the fun & carefree sound of their lower lines. Definitely got bit by that with Ortofons lol - I CANNOT get into their Windfelds and Annas and Cadenza Black. With Benz I think I prefer their iron-cross generator (cheaper) to the ruby plate models (it also significantly affects their phono stage matching). With Shelters, I prefer the 2nd from top Accord over their top Harmony model. But then with Koetsu - nope, their top Blue Lace model is in fact the best one lol. And then of course arm matching can also make or break a cartridge.

Wow that is a LONG spindle on your Well Tempered deck! When I was new to vinyl, my old dealer (whom I miss) had one of these in his shop. Very interesting tables!

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #5,215 of 5,379
Excellent looking set up. Is that a delrin platter? I put a Groovetracer delrin platter on my RP6 and it was da bomb.
No sir, Acrylic (Factory) but at 51lbs there is very little vibration if any coming off it. Platter I believe is a little > 11 pounds.
Doesn't surprise me to prefer a $350 cartridge over the $1200. With some manufacturers, I find myself gravitating towards the fun & carefree sound of their lower lines. Definitely got bit by that with Ortofons lol. Even with Benz I think I prefer their iron-cross generator (cheaper) to the ruby plate models (it also significantly affects their phono stage matching). And then of course arm matching can also make or break a cartridge.

Wow that is a LONG spindle on your Well Tempered deck! When I was new to vinyl, my old dealer (whom I miss) had one of these in his shop. Very interesting tables!
Indeed and one of the reason I can't use a lot of weights!

Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #5,216 of 5,379
IMHO, the AT-VM740ML punches well above its weight.

May 8, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #5,217 of 5,379
IMHO, the AT-VM740ML punches well above its weight.
Yeah CJ, I attribute its smoothness to the Micro Line stylus. Really thinking about Hanna's ML cartridge, would love to hear one as 4 times the 740's price I'm a wee bit leery!

May 8, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #5,218 of 5,379
Yeah CJ, I attribute its smoothness to the Micro Line stylus. Really thinking about Hanna's ML cartridge, would love to hear one as 4 times the 740's price I'm a wee bit leery!
Having had over 20 MC cartridges by now, I haven't yet found a strong correlation between extreme profiles (micro-ridge / hyper-elliptical) and which cartridges I like better. The motors (armature, coils, magnet), cantilevers, and body materials seem to have a far greater impact on sound. I don't always like the more expensive / exotic, unless we're talking Koetsus -- where their Blue Lace really IS the best. My guess is you like the AT design and the micro-line is a bonus :)

I've had even a "plain" nude elliptical be one of my favorite cartridges, bettering many extreme profile styli: Shelter Accord. I don't think I've really liked any models feauting Shibata, yet (Ortofon Jubilee didn't do it for me). Though I DO like a lot of cartridges with Fritz Gyger (e.g. Benz), which are extreme profiles. IMO the most important stylus upgrade is from bonded tip to nude elliptical (e.g. Ortofon 2M Red to Blue). OMG nude styli are SO much better than bonded. That's the 1st upgrade an analog-phile should strive for. Extreme stylus profiles always come in nude shanks (never bonded), so you don't have to worry about that :)

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #5,219 of 5,379
High time I shared my new turntable setup. I wanted a dedicated mono cartridge for a long time for my many great mono records. So a turntable for multiple arms was my wish, with a big ass platter and 12" arm. Unfortunately they tend to get very expensive. I'm not saying this was not a lot of money, but comparatively cheap. Well below 4 grand, excluding the cartridges. I consider it functional rather than beautiful. And it's a big upgrade over my previous Clearaudio Performance.

The FFYX TB25MK3 turntable with 12" arm was just over €2350 with 1 extra armbase. Great Chinese brand, and one of their cheapest, could you believe it. It took me a while, months, to find the extra arm that I really liked. Then I stumbled on this Acoustic Signature TA-2000 12" with silver loom for the price I had set for myself.

And then I found the third arm on a Chinese site for the local price of €350. I just couldn't resist that so I made the third armbase myself. Now I have have the kind of arm I never wanted (since Linn and Rega convinced me a detachable headshell is bad and a straight arm is better). However, I can now quickly switch headshells and cartridge and the Gold Note PH10 let's me change loading on the fly. It's MC is pretty decent so I can bypass the Audio Innovations MC transformer so I can switch between any cartridge I like.

The cartridges are LP-Audio Ruby II (also Chinese, they already make many undisclosed oem's) MC with low impedance Ruby cantilever and Swiss made micro ridge stylus. The mono cartridge on the As TA-2000 is a Miyajima Zero (barely used 2ndH). And on the EIZZ arm an AT33 PTG II at the moment. But it was intended for the AT91 carbon for not so great 2ndH records.

What you see below deck is just the hand stash newest lp's. It gives the rack a nice dead weight. I made the rack myself too. Two pieces, one low for the TV and the other for the audio with a second tier. Very solid massive 3-ply bamboo.

IMG_20230512_171101.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #5,220 of 5,379
Here's the complete setup in action with my self designed and made speakers. Also bamboo. What I do like about this turntable it lets the light through from behind that I integrated into the rack.

IMG_20230104_025117.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back