Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
May 17, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #5,221 of 5,376
May 17, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #5,222 of 5,376
6551.jpg

Since I recently bought the Denon PMA-A110 integrated amp and the CDC cd player, I wanted to try the 110th aniversary headshell & cartridge..pleasantly surprised how it hold up to my ART9..very pleasant full bodied sound, does wonderful on Jazz records..great all rounder too..

May 18, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #5,223 of 5,376
I have to say it looks really decent for the price. Simple, clean and well done basic engineered. Even a decent cartridge (costs €10 but sounds like a €100 IMO). If your stylus needs a replacement or upgrade look at the lpgear.com carbon elliptical (blue) that's even better. That carbon cantilever sounds well damped and smooth which helps with old worn records. But the elliptical digs a lot further in the groove.

https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN3600DLXSE.html

May 18, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #5,224 of 5,376
I have to say it looks really decent for the price. Simple, clean and well done basic engineered. Even a decent cartridge (costs €10 but sounds like a €100 IMO). If your stylus needs a replacement or upgrade look at the lpgear.com carbon elliptical (blue) that's even better. That carbon cantilever sounds well damped and smooth which helps with old worn records. But the elliptical digs a lot further in the groove.

https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN3600DLXSE.html
THX for the stylus upgrade tip :thumbsup: I’ve always been a Mitchell fan since listening to a buddies Gyro Deck, I’m sure it is as nice as my sons Denon DP-400 which I bought a Orto 2M Blue as a backup to the AT it came with:wink:

IMG_2550.jpeg

I originally ordered the Red as an extra and it was not a big change from the AT but the Blue was a very sweet upgrade :grin:

Rivs Table.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #5,225 of 5,376
2M Blue is a really nice cartridge for the money, and a hell of a lot better than Red to my ears. I've got one on a Fluance RT85, and have absolutely spoiled it at times with expensive downstream gear (RT85 is my girlfriend's table that I can plug into my own systems) -- it really acquits itself quite well and serves the music beautifully :)

Wonderful match with Hagerman Trumpet MC tube phono stage (warm, sweet) to balance it out :)

May 18, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #5,226 of 5,376
2M Blue is a really nice cartridge for the money, and a hell of a lot better than Red to my ears. I've got one on a Fluance RT85, and have absolutely spoiled it at times with expensive downstream gear (RT85 is my girlfriend's table that I can plug into my own systems) -- it really acquits itself quite well and serves the music beautifully :)

Wonderful match with Hagerman Trumpet MC tube phono stage (warm, sweet) to balance it out :)
Nice and might I say the Trumpet is a really sweet PS :thumbsup:

May 18, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #5,227 of 5,376
THX for the stylus upgrade tip :thumbsup: I’ve always been a Mitchell fan since listening to a buddies Gyro Deck, I’m sure it is as nice as my sons Denon DP-400 which I bought a Orto 2M Blue as a backup to the AT it came with:wink:

Actually Mitchell Audio is a different company to the one who makes the Gyrodec. But it does look like excellent value for money.

May 18, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #5,228 of 5,376
THX, I did not research it just did a no no and assumed it was the same Mitchell but now I realize the original had no "T" in it! In other words assuming really does make an Azz out of Me :confounded: Going to seriously do some research but it does seem to be worth the asking price.

May 18, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #5,229 of 5,376
Related to, or successor to the Mitchell & Johnson brand, perhaps?

May 18, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #5,230 of 5,376
I just found out that there is a review of my cartridge brand. By Michael Fremer even. Almost my actual cartridge. He had a look at the Ruby, I have the Ruby II which has lower impedance that matches better with my transformer. So it has a Fritz Gyger S trapezoidal profile. I think I did another great blind buy. It not only looks like a Koetsu, it's a great stand-in for my Urushi.

https://www.stereophile.com/content...el-6-classic-turntable-loricraft-prc6i-record

And here is a fresh photo playing Sia - This is acting disc 2.
IMG_20230518_172701.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #5,231 of 5,376

I originally ordered the Red as an extra and it was not a big change from the AT but the Blue was a very sweet upgrade :grin:

I didn't want to be a partypooper, and youse guys are so quick on the draw. But Michell Engineering and Mitchell Acoustics is not the same brand.
https://www.michellaudio.com/michell-tecnodec-turntable
http://mitchellacoustics.us/about-us/

I get it though, the name is meant to bank on the other brands name. Just look at Lenco. It's definitely not the same Swiss quality. It can't be for that price. If it looks to good to be true... It never is. However, it looks far removed from the Crossley crap.

And on the cartridge. I really don't like Ortofons cheap cartridges. They are way to expensive for what you get. Yes the blue, bronze, black and LvB have increasingly better sound quality pure because of the stylus. But you can get that on the lowly AT91 too for a lot less. Just look at the lpgear.com offers. You can get a VL for 109 and a ML for 129 and it will sound awesome. That's because the engine that could really can.

I have the basic carbon spherical, the carbon elliptical and the Vivid Line. They all have that pleasing full sound but increase in detail, speed and air.

Here is a snapshot of my pine bench:
IMG_20230518_180709.jpg

fltr Kiseki Blue vdH, AT91 VL, AT95 VL with ebony body, DV Karat D17 MKII

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #5,232 of 5,376
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Different spelling and waay different prices.

May 20, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #5,233 of 5,376
Now with original Braun L530 speakers:

IMG_0430.jpeg

May 20, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #5,234 of 5,376
May 20, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #5,235 of 5,376
Now with original Braun L530 speakers:

It looks very serene. That painting really ties the room together. :)
Very nice vintage look. Peculiar asymmetry in those speakers.

It looks better than my set. Dual shallow speakers, Telefunken receiver an Philips 212 turntable (or Aristona equivalent, I have both). The turntable is better than I thought.
PSX_20190714_234936.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back