Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Feb 11, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #4,351 of 5,379
I love the way white vinyl looks on my current setup. Rega RP1 + Ortofon 2M Bronze.

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #4,352 of 5,379
Feb 12, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #4,354 of 5,379
Feb 12, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #4,355 of 5,379
Yes, it will be like a movie to watch what happens and what people think. 2 models but both $4000 as I understand it. Still they are making some changes and improvements. At the price point they look to be going into the audiophile market. Don't know if they have ever been viewed exactly that way. They were great turntables and really really well made but still became a legend due to how you could DJ with em.
They sounded great in the early form, fun to see where they get improved to?

The biggest improvement is in the - claimed - cogless motor. Otherwise, I am sad they went the safe 1200-ish way; Technics did produce quite some better TTs back in the day, but withdrew them from the production after a very short time - as they were better than their TOTL designs - let alone 1200. Monitoring the used market will reveal which models that were.

If the new drive is actually working as well as claimed, it should be quite a contender. I find the omission of the external power supply in this day and age and MSRP a serious drawback. No turntable should allow AC anywhere where it can influence the operation either in mechanical, electrical or magnetic way. Mission imposible if the AC enters the deck itself.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #4,356 of 5,379
Feb 13, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #4,359 of 5,379
Feb 14, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #4,360 of 5,379
  The biggest improvement is in the - claimed - cogless motor. Otherwise, I am sad they went the safe 1200-ish way; Technics did produce quite some better TTs back in the day, but withdrew them from the production after a very short time - as they were better than their TOTL designs - let alone 1200. Monitoring the used market will reveal which models that were.

If the new drive is actually working as well as claimed, it should be quite a contender. I find the omission of the external power supply in this day and age and MSRP a serious drawback. No turntable should allow AC anywhere where it can influence the operation either in mechanical, electrical or magnetic way. Mission imposible if the AC enters the deck itself.

I'm far more into music than turntables, even though I can see the rabbit-hole for all the engineering imagination going on. A device which started as Edison's cylinder which has then been spoon-fed slow technological developments on and on till today. Just the simple fact that the format is actually gaining popularity as we speak, running away in some regards from the latest in USB digital technology is both strange and surreal. The fact that turntable technology is better now than ever in history.

The coming 3D printed cartridge, or the $70,000 printed turntable made by the school-boy for his science project? Maybe? It may just never end?

Just the pure implications of edge-pseudo-science bordering on the unexplainable with new-age-paranormal-physics-phenomena unknown by common man, still that mystery and the possible audiophile truth, enables manufactures and designers to get crazy, imaginative and rich just exploiting the funds from the gullible. Ask the guy why his expensive cartridge improves the sound and get the story and sparkle in his eyes. It's all about a story. That is why they will sell some of those $4000 turntables which used to sell for $499 if I remember right?

The fact that music is actually coming out of those little scratches, what the hell? It's magic.

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #4,361 of 5,379
LIKE!

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #4,362 of 5,379
Oh yeah fun scientific fact: record grooves are cut using unicorn horns, and the stylus tips are actually made using babelfish tooth to translate groove lefty rightys into music. But everything else down the chain is purely magic though, only those two are science.

Feb 14, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #4,363 of 5,379

I'm far more into music than turntables, even though I can see the rabbit-hole for all the engineering imagination going on. A device which started as Edison's cylinder which has then been spoon-fed slow technological developments on and on till today. Just the simple fact that the format is actually gaining popularity as we speak, running away in some regards from the latest in USB digital technology is both strange and surreal. The fact that turntable technology is better now than ever in history.

The coming 3D printed cartridge, or the $70,000 printed turntable made by the school-boy for his science project? Maybe? It may just never end?

Just the pure implications of edge-pseudo-science bordering on the unexplainable with new-age-paranormal-physics-phenomena unknown by common man, still that mystery and the possible audiophile truth, enables manufactures and designers to get crazy, imaginative and rich just exploiting the funds from the gullible. Ask the guy why his expensive cartridge improves the sound and get the story and sparkle in his eyes. It's all about a story. That is why they will sell some of those $4000 turntables which used to sell for $499 if I remember right?

The fact that music is actually coming out of those little scratches, what the hell? It's magic.

Hehe, to a point I certainly can agree with you 
beerchug.gif

However, I started some time ago a project/research what can be done to bring analog turntable up in performance enough to be palatable to a guy that has been raised on CD - in most of its parameters that are usually below the quality achieved by digital - while retaining positive attributes  of  analog, which digital lacks.

I can not agree that music coming out of those little scratches is magic - it is hard, super hard work to get it right. And result of all the science that went into it - along with any number of desires to make it closer to perfection.

No, I do not see a guy with a sparkle in his eyes solely because of the high price and/or story behind his expensive cartridge. The same sparkle can be observed with a guy ( or gal ) with a perfectly adjusted decent cartridge - and that can be the level of approximately Audio Technica AT-440ML ( without, a, b, whatever ) - which is roughly $200 cart. Not cheap, creeping steadily in price up (and in quality down...), but not insane price either. And I did see lackluster eyes of owners of super duper expensive gear that was either set up poorly - or downright defective. It is a bit embarrassing to admit that the wheels on one's new Rolls Royce are not perfectly  round/trued - as it would start ridicule from the owners of much lesser cars that happen to have at least round wheels - per default.

$499 back in the day did buy one much more than $499 does today - so it is not directly comparable, the new table from Technics is not 8 times as expensive as the original. I agree it is a bit steep, whether or not its improvements are real or not will be known after some objective testing and real life experience, both of which will realistically be available by the end of the year. If it actually delivers as promised, it may well prove to be a bargain - relative to competition in new turntables in today's market. 

There is a TT that has even more precise and even performance - at some 5+ times the price of the new Technics. And there are gems in the vintage TTs that can be brought to a comparable performance and initially they cost very reasonable money. So, to each his/hers own - no generalizations universally applicable.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #4,364 of 5,379
Any opinions on the Espirit SB vs Nomad? Looking to get a setup for $750-ish

Other recommendations are welcome. I understand I'd need to get a phono amp if I opt for something different than the Nomad

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #4,365 of 5,379
Hehe, to a point I certainly can agree with you :beerchug: .

However, I started some time ago a project/research what can be done to bring analog turntable up in performance enough to be palatable to a guy that has been raised on CD - in most of its parameters that are usually below the quality achieved by digital - while retaining positive attributes  of  analog, which digital lacks.

I can not agree that music coming out of those little scratches is magic - it is hard, super hard work to get it right. And result of all the science that went into it - along with any number of desires to make it closer to perfection.

No, I do not see a guy with a sparkle in his eyes solely because of the high price and/or story behind his expensive cartridge. The same sparkle can be observed with a guy ( or gal ) with a perfectly adjusted decent cartridge - and that can be the level of approximately Audio Technica AT-440ML ( without, a, b, whatever ) - which is roughly $200 cart. Not cheap, creeping steadily in price up (and in quality down...), but not insane price either. And I did see lackluster eyes of owners of super duper expensive gear that was either set up poorly - or downright defective. It is a bit embarrassing to admit that the wheels on one's new Rolls Royce are not perfectly  round/trued - as it would start ridicule from the owners of much lesser cars that happen to have at least round wheels - per default.

$499 back in the day did buy one much more than $499 does today - so it is not directly comparable, the new table from Technics is not 8 times as expensive as the original. I agree it is a bit steep, whether or not its improvements are real or not will be known after some objective testing and real life experience, both of which will realistically be available by the end of the year. If it actually delivers as promised, it may well prove to be a bargain - relative to competition in new turntables in today's market. 

There is a TT that has even more precise and even performance - at some 5+ times the price of the new Technics. And there are gems in the vintage TTs that can be brought to a comparable performance and initially they cost very reasonable money. So, to each his/hers own - no generalizations universally applicable.

My write was half-joking. :smile:

Just swapping ideas around and looking and listening at parallels in life. I'm now looking at a new guitar and as an audiophile it is truly amazing how many parallels there are.

Many scientific folk on Head-Fi never want to go over the visual ideas of placebo but I completely believe in it. The fact that as a machine turntables are really, really beautiful things made by man. Not only that but they have a quiet smoothness of operation that has an opiate effect on the owners. In life so much is uncontrollable and to come home and see this thing and turn it on and have it do what it is designed to do. The fact that it can produce music and be slightly adjusted with the understanding of science principles for an improvement. It shows that things in life can be controlled with education and application.

"If this thing is so expensive and beautiful it must sound good" There is no true science in the statement but I have found that many really beautiful things in life have turned out to be delicate. Still basicly contemplating why that could be?

What I'm getting at is placebo here. The only reason I bring it up is I have fallen for the results many times so I do know it's real at times. Looking at guitars it's again so much like turntables. The fact that they make them beautiful. Les Paul actually choose the woman's form for his first electric body, still all guitars look like a gals body if you study them. Cars actually have the design of a woman's body in them also, where early corvette designs maybe rule that idea.

Guitars and turntables can be purchased by a trusted manufacture who has garnered a reputation for applying the inovation and science which came before. The oldest known string instrument found was 4000 years old, so string musical instruments have a slight jumpstart on our turntable, still so many parallel concepts.

Not only must they perform but continue to perform at a finite tolerance. Late night listening sessions have occurred when all the scientific and emotional ingredients have solidified, resulting in an almost transcending experience. Having materials which bow and sway to both construction and atmospheric conditions a fact of life. Another fact is some machines are better than others.

It was this challenge to the elements that made the 1200s a name for themselves. They took many of the variables out and made a workhorse of a turntable which could be taken out in the field.

The truth is we can place a carved rose on a guitar ( guess where?) and it starts to sound better. If a woman performer walked out onstage in the cloths they do yard-work in, would it put an effect on what we hear, add different cloths and........................ What about understanding technology. My point in the above post was that much of the time just the imagination of thinking we understand technology helps us to start to enjoy a piece of musical equipment. Of course there are true real advancements created, still we know chrome amp faceplates sound better than gray ones in the end for everyone.

The fact that learning about the real science and unreal pseudo science helps give us the Prudential insurance package that all is going to be "OK" in the end. At times we need these handholds even though we are using our intellect and ears to full ability.

Just the simple fact that a guitar maker who makes custom guitars has to sell his first handmade project for 1/4 of what the later ones sell for. There is no reputation or love for the product. It's a baby which could or could not make it.

With all of our knowledge and understanding we study and we use our ears but stuff still falls short. No famous musicians have signed our new guitar or new brand of turntable. We hope we have stumbled onto something but there is always that chance of failure. This is maybe where science and testing come in. Stuff can be measured by both technology and historic significance to perform as calculated. Still dress it up and add a story and it will do better in the end.

Strangely much of the science in guitars is in turntables. The ideas of controlled resonance and dampening. Our understanding of the musical properties of materials and their ability to fight atmospheric changes. The tuntable has only one moving resonating element, guitars more, still it is the slight play of these resonances which enable us to either win or lose.

Flowers, guitars, female humans, music and turntables seem to start to reach the imagination of life very close to the primal core?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back